St Johnstone v Celtic, Wednesday 29/01/20

The fanzone worked ok for some of the European nights. Which were generally in glorious sunshine seeing a Saints play a side you'd never seen before. 

Standing in the rain on a January night drinking a bottle of "Super Saints Lager"?

Nah, your alright.

55 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

See I’m different to you and pretty much ever other saints fan on this forum as it seems. I don’t accept the “reality” because I realise there are ways to try and fix this. As I’ve said over and over again - giving out ground to the mutants is a short term unsustainable solution to a ever growing problem. What happens if we go down and the OF aren’t there to give us the extra money? What replaces that? The club has already rubbed many supporters up the wrong way because of this, they won’t be back. Our fan base is dwindling and this is the clubs response - give the OF more seats. And saints fans on here have he absolute red neck to say “aye but it’s the people who don’t go to games? It’s their fault!” Sorry, but not all of us have the time or money to spend our hard earned cash on the principles of loyalty to our team. That’s why I save my money and go to some away games. I’ll go with mates, some of which support teams like Celtic and Hearts but they come for the day out, the enjoyment and to support the saints. There isn’t a hope in hell of getting them along to McDiarmid, because it. Is. Fucking. Shite. No decent pubs nearby, no excitement around the ground, cold and grey behind the turnstiles. Maybe if there was something actually worth going to the ground for more people like myself would go. Saints have lost their connection to the community in my opinion. They aren’t interested in putting any money into making watching St Johnstone a better experience, and they sure as hell won’t spend the money they just made off the back of this game to improve the situation.

OK, appreciate some of your points and would ask what it would take for you and your pals to come to home games as well.  What could they do to make it a better experience? 

I agree there is a lack of imagination sometimes when it comes to the wider match day experience, perhaps some sort of beer tent and live music etc (not great when its freezing outside and I would imagine licencing and police may be a stopper).  Would that make you go?  I don't think Saints have got the clout to build pubs nearby.      

Ticket prices are fairly similar to most other Premiership grounds (cheaper than most).  

Cold and grey behind the turnstyle?  Think we use the same concrete as most other grounds too? Would some plaster board and paint change your mind?  

Just saying its shite so I'm not interested is the kind of rationale you get from Old Firm fans towards the rest of us or English fans talking about the Scottish game.

26 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Fan Zones? Half time enertainment? 'Match day experiance'?......f**k right off! 

Its bad enough we have fucking mascots and 'celebration' music and all that shite, the latter totally ruined the cup final.

There are many reasons not to attend, but because there is not enough other things on offer?  Saints and a Pie and Bovil and maybe a quick pint in the club is all you should need......fucking entitled millenials!

Oi mate. I know plenty millenials that think the same, quit that nonsense. You'll be wheeling out 'snowflake' next. To be fair though mascots have been around for very long time now and don't do any harm, and the young kids like them. They're part of the game. Celebration music and disco lights etc, and those over the top tannoy guys (Livingston for example) that think there's comparing a darts match. No time for them. 

I can't understand the @jamamafegan mindset tbqh, but it asks the question what's a club like Saints for? For me it's about community, both putting back into it and creating it. Scottish football at any level has always been about that, outside of the OF which is more about religious tribalism, which is ultimately more powerful, so you see the supporters busses from all over the country last night. They will never support their local team as their other identity is more important. Whatever, not my thing.

I agree with the issues that people have raised to a degree. I don't think it's about 'product' though, that's not where the value is. If all you're interested in is quality of football you'll get a lot more of that from your Sky subscription.  If you're interested in atmosphere, there's gigs and other sports or football games to go to. 'Matchday experience' .. that's what you make it, not sure the club have to provide that for you. But it's not for me to say why people go to games. 

Think I said on the match thread, Celtic having another stand made hee-haw difference to the 'match experience' last night and - controversial but it's the way I experienced it - was actually better for Saints fans. Your milage may vary.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Do you not wish your club had given Motherwell more stands to make some extra cash in your big Scottish Cup tie at Dens this month?
You know, the one where barely 900 Dundee fans turned up.  Our home support v the OF is awful, but that was the most embarrassing home support for any team in Tayside in the past 20-30 years!
Just think, a bit more cash and you might increase the gap over Arbroath in your battle for mid-table supremacy. [emoji847]
Levels

I didn’t expect too many bites to be honest but this one is a clear winner.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

See I’m different to you and pretty much ever other saints fan on this forum as it seems. I don’t accept the “reality” because I realise there are ways to try and fix this. As I’ve said over and over again - giving out ground to the mutants is a short term unsustainable solution to a ever growing problem. What happens if we go down and the OF aren’t there to give us the extra money? What replaces that? The club has already rubbed many supporters up the wrong way because of this, they won’t be back. Our fan base is dwindling and this is the clubs response - give the OF more seats. And saints fans on here have he absolute red neck to say “aye but it’s the people who don’t go to games? It’s their fault!” Sorry, but not all of us have the time or money to spend our hard earned cash on the principles of loyalty to our team. That’s why I save my money and go to some away games. I’ll go with mates, some of which support teams like Celtic and Hearts but they come for the day out, the enjoyment and to support the saints. There isn’t a hope in hell of getting them along to McDiarmid, because it. Is. Fucking. Shite. No decent pubs nearby, no excitement around the ground, cold and grey behind the turnstiles. Maybe if there was something actually worth going to the ground for more people like myself would go. Saints have lost their connection to the community in my opinion. They aren’t interested in putting any money into making watching St Johnstone a better experience, and they sure as hell won’t spend the money they just made off the back of this game to improve the situation.

No I don’t accept it. I go to games but I can see how the experience could be better. I love the away days on the piss at Dens, Tynecastle, Easter Road and can’t wait for Ayr away next week.

But I also enjoy the football as the event itself, and it doesn’t always have to be part of a bigger day out as you maybe look for.

If we end up making big money off any of our good younger players, I’d like to see us spend a lot of money on McDiarmid. More catering areas, supporters lounges, bars, decent areas in each stand for folk to sit or hang about before and after matches, areas for kids in Ormond and main stand etc

But are the club really going to invest a million or two when hardly anyone other than 2000 hardcore fans can be arsed coming to watch the team during our most successful ever spell.  Bit of a chicken and egg scenario.

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

No I don’t accept it. I go to games but I can see how the experience could be better. I love the away days on the piss at Dens, Tynecastle, Easter Road and can’t wait for Ayr away next week.

But I also enjoy the football as the event itself, and it doesn’t always have to be part of a bigger day out as you maybe look for.

If we end up making big money off any of our good younger players, I’d like to see us spend a lot of money on McDiarmid. More catering areas, supporters lounges, bars, decent areas in each stand for folk to sit or hang about before and after matches, areas for kids in Ormond and main stand etc

But are the club really going to invest a million or two when hardly anyone other than 2000 hardcore fans can be arsed coming to watch the team during our most successful ever spell.  Bit of a chicken and egg scenario.

I can relate to Jamamafegan . It's just that he puts his views across pretty bluntly and  a lot of the rest of you are are every week supporters. In this age the experience does need to be better to attract the rest of us from doing other things with a better 'bang for the buck'.  McDermiad isn't in the best spot for pubs etc and the whole lack of atmosphere is compounded by lack of crowds which can hide other flaws and there are plenty. Scottish football is too expensive in general so that would have to be sorted at an SFA level most likely.  Fan zones work where you can purchase food, merchandise etc  ....and non alcoholic beer.  Might sound daft but if you have a pint in your hand  it helps.  

At least you didn't have a ball boy jumping up and doon celebrating when they scored a goal, like we did against Sevco earlier in the season.

Hasn't been a problem selling our 3 stands out to Celtic, Sevco, and even Hearts on the odd occasion, doesn't usually affect how we play, we haven't lost a game at home to Celtic since we came up and always give Sevco a hard game too, certainly makes a huge difference to our finances getting about five hundred thousand a season doing so. Ideally folk in Livi would come and support the team in their town but it has been a long time since we regularly filled one stand let alone 2 or 3.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

2 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

At least you didn't have a ball boy jumping up and doon celebrating when they scored a goal, like we did against Sevco earlier in the season.

Hasn't been a problem selling our 3 stands out to Celtic, Sevco, and even Hearts on the odd occasion, doesn't usually affect how we play, we haven't lost a game to Celtic since we came up and always give Sevco a hard game too, certainly makes a huge difference to our finances getting about five hundred thousand a season doing so. Ideally folk in Livi would come and support the team in their town but it has been a long time since we regularly filled one stand let alone 2 or 3.

Why did Livvy go to a plastic pitch?

Plastic pitch and rent it out to the community will be the next thing on the list.

Must have missed the number of plastic, Astro pitches within the grounds already, that people can rent and do rent regularly. Mind you, you wouldn’t know that, you’d need to attend games to see them.

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Ok was a bit bumpy didn't look like it had a sprinkler system but was a leveller and Livvy played the jags off the park. 

Would've needed a lot of work done to it, and the USH was goosed too, so a new one would've needed installed too, or something else to ensure games would've survived the frost in the winter months. Also the obv, which you mentioned to St Johnstone fans earlier in a post saying they'd be getting one next, it can be rented out and bring money into the club during the week. The financial benefits to having a plastic pitch are well documented.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Would've needed a lot of work done to it, and the USH was goosed too, so a new one would've needed installed too, or something else to ensure games would've survived the frost in the winter months. Also the obv, which you mentioned to St Johnstone fans earlier in a post saying they'd be getting one next, it can be rented out and bring money into the club during the week. The financial benefits to having a plastic pitch are well documented.

We have a plastic pitch about 100 yards from the stadium that is rented out yearly by the club.