St Johnstone v Celtic, Wednesday 29/01/20

And so here it is, the first game with the new OF seating arrangement against the mighty capitalist institution that is Celtic FC.  Hopefully I'll still have a seat to sit on come next Saturdays home match with Hearts after TGFITW do their usual and trash our ground for no apparent reason.

Almost looking forward to it as a bit of a change, though I expect that to be shortlived; a different view of the game,  all the Saints fans together, a near full McDiarmid Park under the lights. If we could just put all the mutants on mute it would be far more enjoyable.

As negative as it sounds, I'd probably settle for a draw here with no fresh injury worries to our players. The more important match for us is on Saturday, so maybe put in a few fringe players for this one and if it ends up being just a point, so be it.

I'd like the young team to make an appearance at this one and sit right behind the Celtic dugout with their drum. Everytime Lennon tries to shout instructions on bang it like mad just to annoy the f**k out of him. And Ghostie to sit there as well just to bellow shite at Lennon all game to wind him up.  If we lose but get a reaction from Lennon and get him sent to the stand, i think we'd have the moral victory.  And really in life, that's all that matters.

Clark

Wright Kerr Gordon Booth Tanser

O'Halloran McCann Holt Wotherspoon

Hendry

If Wright or MOH isn't fit, Duffy to RB and the fit one of those two to right mid.

I might go, but might not, haven't decided yet. I'll hear the Celtic fans regardless. Can turn Saints TV off when the scoreline approaches double figures though...

Off the back of a 7 game unbeaten run, and with a gap to the bottom two, the shackles are off us here. Anything other than a demoralising humping would be acceptable, Celtic will be up for this and we're still learning a new system. We don't really have anyone who can come in, which is a problem as ideally you'd rotate a little. Maybe have a signing or two before this game.

lineup.png.ad213a6284669becd5c0aa328aa5c0a5.png

Let McCart, who should hopefully be signed, get some game time without any real expectation on him. Not the nicest introduction but a hounding by Edouard/Griffiths would let you see what this leagues all about. I wouldn't be risking Wright if hes even close to a doubt, so Duffy gets his chance to show what he can do. Booth unfairly dropped but Tanser needs minutes. Give Holt and McCann a chance to recover, they put plenty effort in on Saturday and will need to do the same again against Hearts. Craig can just sit, and no matter who the new lad is, hopefully they'll be here and thrown to the wolves. Hendry deserves a start, and MOH should exploit space better, Kane and May get a rest too.

Probably get slated for virtually chucking the game with that line up, but fighting relegation is a marathon, so you've to pick your battles. We don't have the squad size to cope with this run of games (9 games in 4 weeks) without picking up injuries/knocks, so this is the game we should have bottom of our priorities.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

If we're doing that, I'd be playing Swanson, get him some minutes. Having him fit and ready could be worth a few points as the season progresses where we can bring him on to create something in tight matches.

Where do you play him though? We'll need legs in the middle of the park, and having two players up front able to chase punts in behind could force Celtic back a little while giving us an outball. 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Where do you play him though? We'll need legs in the middle of the park, and having two players up front able to chase punts in behind could force Celtic back a little while giving us an outball. 

Random your team contains two players who dont play for us one of them does not even have a name 

3 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Random your team contains two players who dont play for us one of them does not even have a name 

True, but I wouldn't be playing Swanson in either of those positions regardless.

Watching the highlights of Celtic's game with a County, I'd definitely consider MOH up front or pushing forward from the wing.  The number of chances they gave away to balls in behind was incredible.

Obviously, Celtic will look to shore it up and are unlikely to be as slack two games running, and we've tried him as striker against Celtic before with no success, but it looked a glaring weakness so it's something we should at least try to exploit.

I'd stick with our central midfield though, would love to see McCann up against that quality of player to see where he's at.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I suppose the only position would be off the striker. Either that or on the left in a 5 man midfield.  If not, then maybe bring him off the bench to give him a run.

The way he's played of late I'd play with ten men rather than with fucking Simunovic. 

Ajer missed yesterday with illness apparently, hopefully he will be back in on Wednesday night and the likeable but error prone Croatian can go back to the bench as emergency cover only. 

Have a feeling we might go back to Eduoard up front himself for this one, unsure how close to fitness Elyonnouisi and Christie are but we seem to lack a bit of creative spark in the final third against tightly packed defences which they can provide. 

2-0 to the Champions with Eduoard and N'tcham scoring. 🍀

Edited by Flybhoy

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I suppose the only position would be off the striker. Either that or on the left in a 5 man midfield.  If not, then maybe bring him off the bench to give him a run.

Just think Hendry as "target man", and MOH free to attack the flanks on the counter, is perfect for this game. Swanson isn't strong or fast enough to have an impact if we're deep.

Just now, Lang Toon Saintee said:

In either of the positions that the two players who dont play for the club are playing in ? 

Substitute Booth and McCann into those roles if you can't understand my point. I've no idea why you're making such a deal out it.

Up to the manager to do what he feels is right here. We have a lot of games coming up and if he wants to save players, that's his prerogative. Not that there is much he can do with the size of the squad and there is the obviously the argument about trying to maintain momentum. 

Seeing the chances County created is obviously encouraging but we haven't laid a glove on Celtic for ages, the aggregate score in the last 8 matches is 27-0 to them. Sitting off isn't working for us.