Airdrieonians v Raith Rovers

Plenty of games left in the season however I cant help think if raith win on Saturday that we have blew our chance as champions. We have been crap since the defeat to raith and clyde,  so The momentum needs to start again and soon. This seasons previous encounters have been narrow wins for raith both 1-0 and that's the reason raith are top. Now we need to go top and the first step is by beating them. 

Edited by diamond daft

He struck me as a lazy sh*te when he was with us, so fair play if you’re getting something out him that we couldn’t.

Wow, footballs mental eh! Macca lazy, obviously I can’t comment on his time at Airdrie, but this season for us, he’s up there with 1 of the fittest players in the team, along with always sticking in a shift. Can only recall 1 game at home quite close to the start of the season where he was a bit stinky, still not lazy, but just a bad day at the office. Every other game, he’s been excellent. 100% my POTY, so far.

Never really got the utter contempt in which some of our support hold MacDonald, we've had many worse players over the last few seasons who've taken far less abuse than him. Maybe it's because he's often flattered to deceive, looked good bombing forward but nearly always missing that final ball, which is the one thing I'd have him working on constantly at training. He isn't the best at the back though, but with proper cover for his runs he should be a decent player at this level, and as he's top of the league, that seems to be the case.

He's fallen into the same category as Ricky Lamie who was constantly berated by some of our support before finding a new lease of life elsewhere.

I wish MacDonald luck next year in League One......

Wow, footballs mental eh! Macca lazy, obviously I can’t comment on his time at Airdrie, but this season for us, he’s up there with 1 of the fittest players in the team, along with always sticking in a shift. Can only recall 1 game at home quite close to the start of the season where he was a bit stinky, still not lazy, but just a bad day at the office. Every other game, he’s been excellent. 100% my POTY, so far.

Yup - clearly wasn’t the right fit either with us or with him. But then again, most players seem to do better when they leave us 🤣

I did think there was a better player in there than I saw.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Starting to feel sorry for Airdrie now.

You’ll just be the first of many teams that MacLean will put to the sword in the second half of the season.

Did he not have a problem playing on plastic pitches before he left St Johnstone, so he will relish the 7 in this league ? I hope the opposition players are protecting their crown jewels  as  well. He has been a good goalscorer, but has he lost that edge while at Hearts? Only Saturday and time will tell. I suspect a tight game but who knows these days.

10 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Never really got the utter contempt in which some of our support hold MacDonald, we've had many worse players over the last few seasons who've taken far less abuse than him. Maybe it's because he's often flattered to deceive, looked good bombing forward but nearly always missing that final ball, which is the one thing I'd have him working on constantly at training. He isn't the best at the back though, but with proper cover for his runs he should be a decent player at this level, and as he's top of the league, that seems to be the case.

No need to work on his crosses, other than the odd cross that scores by mistake. Honestly, he's prossibly a better mid or winger than defender, in my opinion. In a 5 across the back, he's been outstanding, in 4 across, he can be a bit of a defensive liability.

No need to work on his crosses, other than the odd cross that scores by mistake. Honestly, he's prossibly a better mid or winger than defender, in my opinion. In a 5 across the back, he's been outstanding, in 4 across, he can be a bit of a defensive liability.

Can you tell me the games, or even better, post the highlights up of the moments he’s been a defensive liability in a back four please? I must have missed these games.

As for his crossing, are you aware how many assists he has?

4 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Can you tell me the games, or even better, post the highlights up of the moments he’s been a defensive liability in a back four please? I must have missed these games.

As for his crossing, are you aware how many assists he has?

Nope, can’t provide such, it’s just an accumulated feeling from watching a number of games. He’s generally invisible, which is good because he’s doing his job well enough to not be noticed erring, in a five back formation. With four back, he’s too aggressive, in my opinion, which leads to a lot of covering by the mids. Again, I can’t “prove” this and willingly admit it’s a feeling.

As for crossing, I believe it’s seven assists, that’s why I said he doesn’t need to work on it.

TX... sorry, I miss read your post and thought you’d said he needs to work on his crossing.

As for the defensive part of his game in a back four, we will just need to agree to disagree. I think he’s more than adequate defensively.

Agreed. Not had a problem with his defending at all whether as part of back 4 or 5. This notion that Watson is a better option at right back in a back 4 than Miller is also fucking mental.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Agreed. Not had a problem with his defending at all whether as part of back 4 or 5. This notion that Watson is a better option at right back in a back 4 than Miller is also fucking mental.

I’ll accept being f**king mental. I just think we might be misusing MacDonald’s skill set as a LB vs a LWB or a LM. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, and most stink. Miller is an excellent RWB and a solid RB, but I’d rather have a less adventurously minded RB when we only have 2 CB, and Watson fills that role better. When we play my preferred wing backs with three CB, Miller is the starter automatically, as is MacDonald.

So, we’ve established I’m nuts, so let’s talk keepers...the good news is I’m not pushing for Bow...yet...

9 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

If any of them were any good they would not be playing in this league 

Of course you’re right. There’s no way a player of enough quality and potential to be interesting to an English Championship side would be playing in Scottish League One...er, wait...never mind.