Airdrieonians v Raith Rovers

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Small squad in the bottom half of the table, made the run in quite nervy. McGlynn didn't even bother with proper training, given the schedules. Culminated in a wednesday night game against Dundee, we won one nil, Dougie Hill scored against a 50 year old Bobby Geddes deputising in the Dee goal. Make us more or less safe, sans goal difference.

By the time the semi final rolled around the team was out on its feet. The Airdrie cup double header, I think John Baird scored for them, we had Laurie Ellis sent off, then equalised through Javier Amaya of all people (I think?). Dont recall much about the replay at theirs. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/8480406.stm

That was some season as I recall, a real torrid end to the season which saw us eventually safe and Airdrie relegated by Brechin in the play offs, my memory is not of the Scottish Cup semi-final but of the exhausting 10 games we were forced to play during  April.

April 3rd we lost 4-3 at Inverness, April 7th won 2-0 at Ayr (yes we actually won there!), April 11th lost 2-0 To Dundee Utd at Hampden, April 14th lost 3-0 away to Airdrie, April 17th lost 3-0 at QotS, April 19th drew 0-0 at Firhill, April 21st beat Dundee 1-0 at Starks, April 24th lost 2-0 at Dundee, April 26th lost 1-0 at home to Airdrie, April 28th drew 0-0 with Qots at home.

In the last 11 days Raith had to play 5 games.

Last game of the season was on May 1st when Johnny Russell signed off his loan deal with that trick in the 4-1 defeat of Ross Co.

Edited by Scottydog

5 minutes ago, renton said:

Small squad in the bottom half of the table, made the run in quite nervy. McGlynn didn't even bother with proper training, given the schedules. Culminated in a wednesday night game against Dundee, we won one nil, Dougie Hill scored against a 50 year old Bobby Geddes deputising in the Dee goal. Make us more or less safe, sans goal difference.

By the time the semi final rolled around the team was out on its feet. The Airdrie cup double header, I think John Baird scored for them, we had Laurie Ellis sent off, then equalised through Javier Amaya of all people (I think?). Dont recall much about the replay at theirs. 

Was that the year Raith got Aberdeen? I remember Kevin McDonald missed an absolute sitter for Airdrie that would have won it and Raith won the replay (obviously) and Scott McLaughlin ended the game in goals for Airdrie. 

If Kurtis Roberts plays we might get something from this. If he doesn't we won't. 

2 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That cup game featured Airdrie greats such as Kevin Mcdonald/Frankie Lagana/ Storey/Ricky Waddell: marvellous material for nightmares?  

Yeah, we had Thierri Gatuessi that season, who got subbed off after 30 minutes at your place in the game you humped us 3-0. That was the worst individual performance since Anelka, only Mendy vs. Dundee at the start of the season comes close.

12 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah, we had Thierri Gatuessi that season, who got subbed off after 30 minutes at your place in the game you humped us 3-0. That was the worst individual performance since Anelka, only Mendy vs. Dundee at the start of the season comes close.

I recall that game. We were absolutely atrocious. Baird scored at least 2 of the goals for Airdrie at a time when he'd already signed for us on a pre contract agreement. 

36 minutes ago, Hottoddy22 said:

Never heard of him?

Maybe that's because it's his first season in league football. Give it a year or two and everyone will know who this lad is. We had  Kieron McDonald last season and and from what I've seen of him this season hes decent going forward but cant defend.  If someone runs at him he backs off all the way to his box then tries to stop a shot or cross.  Leon McCann is twice as good.  Wins his share of headers for a small guy. Wins tackles and has a better delivery from crosses than McDonald.   Adam eckersly is much better than McDonald too. Just ask any forfar fan and eckersly cant get into our 1st team.   At the start of the season I wasn't happy at seeing McDonald go as he was one of the only players we had last season who could carry the ball forward but we did lose goals due to him backing off so much and allowing attackers to get to crossing or shooting positions. I'm not saying hes bad but if he was still with us hed be on the bench.  

2 hours ago, renton said:

Shows K. Smith, Tadé and Russell (pen) as the three Raith scorers in the replay win.

On the first match, shows “Smyth (o.g.)” as our benefactor.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Shows K. Smith, Tadé and Russell (pen) as the three Raith scorers in the replay win.

On the first match, shows “Smyth (o.g.)” as our benefactor.

Aye, and it was Simmons sent off, not Ellis apparently. So much for my memory.

32 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Fwiw, McDonald has been superb this season. Sometimes players move clubs and their performances go up a few levels. Exact same thing happened with Brian Graham and Gregory Tade for us. 

I will agree, thou, that he has been a somewhat weak defender, especially when playing in a four back. Of Watson, Miller, MacDonald, McKay, Davo and Bene, I place him first or second on offense and last or next to last on defense. He’s not terrible, but he is a weakness in the back line when we only play two CB’s, especially with Miller on the other side, who is likewise a somewhat weaker defender, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I will agree, thou, that he has been a somewhat weak defender, especially when playing in a four back. Of Watson, Miller, MacDonald, McKay, Davo and Bene, I place him first or second on offense and last or next to last on defense. He’s not terrible, but he is a weakness in the back line when we only play two CB’s, especially with Miller on the other side, who is likewise a somewhat weaker defender, in my opinion.

MacDonald is pish. I'm not just saying that but relying on the council of a mustachioed octogenarian who offered him up to the stands of the Airdrie support every week. He's either deaf or a shitebag IMHO.

ETA "Up here MacDonald!"

Edited by Pesadilla

Given McDonald was one of our better players last season and I believe we got a few quid for him my only reason in replying to the post that hes the best left back in the league.  Nobody knew about leon McCann until he played against us in the tea cake cup for Hamilton u21s.  We won the game but i said to my mate during the game and everyone I spoke to later said how good was that wee left back. A few weeks later we got him on loan. Eckersly was the regular starter and like I said forfar know how good he is.  Then eckersly got an injury and McCann came in has been a stand out both going forward and back.   Then we hear Hamilton dont want him as they dont think he'll make the premier.   I understand the guy saying hes never heard of him and maybe he doesn't pay much attention to other teams but leon wont be playing at this level much longer. McDonald is a good league 1 player but McCann is good enough for a higher league than this.  

Also edit just to say I've never heard the old boy this year shout come up here McCann.  I think that says it all. 

Edited by Ballboy

This argument about "who's the better left back" is very, very tedious.

truth be told, I'd rather have a shite left back/defence or striker, and be top of the league.

McCann should go onto bigger and better things, but I also said the same about Gregor Buchanan when he was with us.  McDonald is a good attacking full back, but is weak defensively, that's been proven.  I'd rather concentrate on winning games than arguing if our experienced left back who sits on our bench is better than a former player currently top of the league.