Airdrieonians v Raith Rovers

3 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

Didn't we play Airdrie 6 times in a season in the last decade?

Miller is supposed to be signing and getting announced tomorrow according to rumour.

I remember that, 4 league games and was it a cup replay or 2 cups?

Anyway, I'm expecting zero from this game, for me the players (and manager) on Saturday there showed they don't have what it takes to sustain a title challenge, and Murray emphasised that point by making one of THE worst substitutions I've ever seen in my life.

I'll be there with the wee fella but In hope more than expectation.

Airdrie 0-1 Raith.

Hoping to make this. Typically what pub or pubs do Rovers fans go to prior to the game? I’ve only ever driven/been driven to the Excelsior. Also with that on the pubs, are they closer to Drumgelloch or Airdrie Station? Cheers in advance.

2 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

Hoping to make this. Typically what pub or pubs do Rovers fans go to prior to the game? I’ve only ever driven/been driven to the Excelsior. Also with that on the pubs, are they closer to Drumgelloch or Airdrie Station? Cheers in advance.

There's a bar at the ground.

Closest train station is Drumgelloch but not for a pub.
Best bet is to get off at Airdrie and there's a few pubs for a drink, the west end bar, the imperial, cellar bar, yesterday's, treasury, cue here then it's a 15-20 min walk to stadium or a £5er in a taxi.

West End Bar was where I went last time round, fair few rovers fans in there before the game. Pretty cheap taxi to the ground and it only takes about 5 minutes.

Closest train station is Drumgelloch but not for a pub.

Best bet is to get off at Airdrie and there's a few pubs for a drink, the west end bar, the imperial, cellar bar, yesterday's, treasury, cue here then it's a 15-20 min walk to stadium or a £5er in a taxi.

Any of them show football? And has a pool table? Going all out now. But cheers for the above.

Stadium bar will be for the “1 for the road” before kickoff.

Hard to see the indian sign Raith have over us being dispelled this Saturday, their staying power at the top has to be applauded and when we have had opportunities (hiya clyde away, East Fife away) we've blown it. 

I could at a push see us managing a draw, but the only winner in that scenario is Falkirk, so at least we can expect Raith to come out, which will suit us more. That being said, for an energetic front-press to work you need the opposition to be trying to pass the ball between defenders and deep lying midfielders. That's why we've done alright against Falkirk, who do this, and less so against Stranraer, who do not. If the deeper lying players of the defence get rid of the ball quickly and fire it forward, it takes out any front press. 

Didn't stop the shouts of 'press' coming from the stands every time the Stranraer defence had it, though. Despite the fact that it was clear they would fire it forward, much like ourselves, thus cutting out any pressing players. So if our front 2/3/4 did press, they were taken completely out the game by the inevitable kick forward. 

I haven't managed either Raith game this season so i'm not sure how they go; inter-passing between defenders and midfielders, or ball released forward early to push into opposition territory? 

33 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

That being said, for an energetic front-press to work you need the opposition to be trying to pass the ball between defenders and deep lying midfielders. That's why we've done alright against Falkirk, who do this, and less so against Stranraer, who do not. If the deeper lying players of the defence get rid of the ball quickly and fire it forward, it takes out any front press. 

I haven't managed either Raith game this season so i'm not sure how they go; inter-passing between defenders and midfielders, or ball released forward early to push into opposition territory? 

We love knocking the ball about our defensive third. It's already cost us on at least a couple of occasions this season.

15 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

Didn't we play Airdrie 6 times in a season in the last decade?

Miller is supposed to be signing and getting announced tomorrow according to rumour.

11 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I remember that, 4 league games and was it a cup replay or 2 cups?

Anyway, I'm expecting zero from this game, for me the players (and manager) on Saturday there showed they don't have what it takes to sustain a title challenge, and Murray emphasised that point by making one of THE worst substitutions I've ever seen in my life.

I'll be there with the wee fella but In hope more than expectation.

Airdrie 0-1 Raith.

2009-2010, 1st Division, 7 games, actually.

Friendly, 11-7-09, @ Stark’s, 2-0

1st Div, 10-10-09, @ Excelsior, 1-2

1st Div, 15-12-09, @ Stark’s, 1-1

SC, 25-1-10, @ Stark’s, 1-1

SC, 27-1-10, @ Excelsior, 1-3

1st Div, 14-4-10, @ Excelsior, 3-0

1st Div, 26-4-10, @ Stark’s, 0-1

Three Raith wins, two Airdrie and two draws. Note the Scottish Cup games 2 days apart...and the two April dates just two weeks apart.

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

2009-2010, 1st Division, 7 games, actually.

Friendly, 11-7-09, @ Stark’s, 2-0

1st Div, 10-10-09, @ Excelsior, 1-2

1st Div, 15-12-09, @ Stark’s, 1-1

SC, 25-1-10, @ Stark’s, 1-1

SC, 27-1-10, @ Excelsior, 1-3

1st Div, 14-4-10, @ Excelsior, 3-0

1st Div, 26-4-10, @ Stark’s, 0-1

Three Raith wins, two Airdrie and two draws. Note the Scottish Cup games 2 days apart...and the two April dates just two weeks apart.

Yeah, that was the 2010 winter from hell. By April we were playing Monday-Wednesday-Saturday to clear the backlog.

27 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Makes sense, I see “The Big Freeze of 2010” in a search for that.

Small squad in the bottom half of the table, made the run in quite nervy. McGlynn didn't even bother with proper training, given the schedules. Culminated in a wednesday night game against Dundee, we won one nil, Dougie Hill scored against a 50 year old Bobby Geddes deputising in the Dee goal. Make us more or less safe, sans goal difference.

By the time the semi final rolled around the team was out on its feet. The Airdrie cup double header, I think John Baird scored for them, we had Laurie Ellis sent off, then equalised through Javier Amaya of all people (I think?). Dont recall much about the replay at theirs.