Airdrieonians v Raith Rovers

I always relish these games. If indeed Kenny Miller is signing then this should be the game he plays from the start. What a luxury to have if it’s true of course. I don’t rate Thomson that much. But Munro needs time on the bench. What’s the injury situation regarding Armstrong and Jack Smith?

I always relish these games. If indeed Kenny Miller is signing then this should be the game he plays from the start. What a luxury to have if it’s true of course. I don’t rate Thomson that much. But Munro needs time on the bench. What’s the injury situation regarding Armstrong and Jack Smith? 

I don’t think Armstrong is too far away. I understand he was out running about on the pitch before the match yesterday? Also from what I’ve heard he had been managing his injury since he signed for us, which may go some way to explaining his somewhat subdued performances this season thus far.

I don’t buy into the whole we must play 5 at the back narrative some are pushing. We’ve had poor performances with 5 as well as 4 at the back. The sticky spell we had in November/December time there were plenty games we played 5 at the back, it made us more solid defensively but we struggled going forward.

Since we switched to 4 in January we have won 3 and drawn 1 in the league scoring 13 in the process and the performances have picked up. Although I think Baird coming back into the team and being able to hold the ball up and link play has had as big an impact as any formation change. It curbs MacDonald and Miller slightly but to say it stops them going forward is wrong. In fact they have both scored more goals in a 4 than they have as wingbacks. MacDonald almost scored a hat trick at East Fife in a 4!

I think it’s horses for courses and I like that we can switch between both depending on the game. If Davo is out here, a back 4 with McKay and Bene is a better option than trying to risk Mendy just to play 5 at the back. However, having said all that, I think this is a game better suited to a back 5. So if Davo is fit I would go with him, Bene and McKay.

Airdrie have been very direct in the games against us this season. Lots of long balls and long throws getting the back in the box as early as possible so would like to see us go with 3 centre backs to deal with that. Dingwall would probably be the one to miss out if that was the case which is perhaps a tad harsh, he was okay yesterday.

Miller has to start on the bench for me (if he signs) I think he’ll be a good signing but neither Baird or Bowie deserve to miss out. Interesting to see what happens in goal. Thomson isn’t brilliant but he’s fine and I think he deserves a chance with Munro unconvincing for a few weeks now.

Edited by R.R.FC

This really has to be game we win.  If rovers win they really pull away from us and were relying on others to "do us a favour " .   Given how we have played recently and our record against them I'm not filled with confidence.  We do have goals in our team and a strong defence just cant seem to beat them.  In the last month we have gone from a team looking like genuine contenders to looking they only meet at 2,55 on a Saturday.   If we cant win this one then we are pretty much out of the race for top spot.  A few of our players really have to step up.  Will go to this one in hope rather than expectation. 

Edited by Ballboy

Good God, I'm actually going to say this and expect to get plastered for it...

Montrose showed we have a serious weakness to high balls in the box with Munro+Davo/Bene center in a back four.

We need either Mendy in with a back five (pause, wipe sweat off, check for corona virus fever, pause again) for aerial protection; McGurn in to command the backline; or Thomson in to hopefully do better, although, on past form, that's not assured.

Someone please offer a better answer to our high ball issue.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

They ain’t beat us since 2010. 18 or 19 attempts.

Edit: it might be 2012. I think it’s still 19 attempts.

Last win for Airdrie United/Airdrie versus raith Rovers was a 2 - 0 win at Excelsior Stadium, 23-8-2011, Scottish League Cup, 2nd Round.

Since then, 14 meetings, 11 loses and 3 draws. 4 games each in 2012-2013, 2017-2018, 2018-2019 and two so far in 2019-2020. The draws were one last season, one in 17-18 and one in 12-13. Only two of the games since 2017 have been decided by more than one goal.

Edited by TxRover

Anymore on kenny miller?  Seen he was spotted at your game.  I just think it would be a bit of a coincidence.  He made is Livingston debut against us in league cup 1st game last season.  Then thistle debut against us 1st game this season.   Now we could be seeing his 1st appearance for the rovers.   Funny how the football world spins.