Friday Night Football - Thistle vs Ayr

We take the point and move on. I'd assume Ayr will be happier with the point as they weren't anywhere near as fluent as in the last few meetings of the sides.

Main positive for me was the defence seemed more assured apart from the clash leading up to the penalty.

Definitely suit a back four better with a holding player sitting in front. I thought MacKinnon did okay. Still needing match fitness hence the hook after an hour for the third game in a row. Barjonas just kind of took up where he left off. Tried a few things that didn't cone off but I feel he'll get better with games under his belt.

Was quite impressed with Brownlie and O'Connor is an upgrade on Williamson for me.

Brian Graham is something we've lacked for what seems like ages. Puts himself about and can get on the end of chances.

Rudden didn't get on the ball much and we didn't create much when he was on.

TL;DR Ayr weren't great but still have a great chance of second. Thistle have still a long way to go but should be okay come May.

I just watched that back, I knew Cardle should have been off having seen it on the night in front of the stand. How the linesman misses the elbows I'll never know? Cardle headlocks Muirhead before they both end up down and then two elbows to the head. That's a foul to Ayr all day long. The BBC commentators also did a quick 180 after blaming Muirhead and calling it cynical until the replay and they realised how wrong they called it.

Have to say big Aero didnt even complain when he was booked either. Some boi.

10 hours ago, HMIP said:

3 down?  You do talk some amount of pish.  Thistle didn’t even have 3 shots on target in the 1st half.

decent point though.

f**k you too, it's only my opinion and one I stand by.

I thought a draw was a fair result tonight. Thistle probably edged it on attacking play & chances, but a point was probably about right as neither team created very much over the 90 minutes. The penalty which shouldn’t have been and Cardle escaping a red which clearly should have been a sending off balanced each other out.

Not too impressed with a few of the Jags’ new signings. O’Connor and Mackinnon have offered nothing so far and Brownlie somehow managed to be both an improvement on what we already had but not particularly good at the same time. Barjonas and Rudden didn’t get enough time to deserve a rating, but on limited viewing I’m skeptical as to what Barjonas will actually bring to the team, and he has all the makings of another failed OF player on loan. Brian Graham was very effective and I think he’ll be vital for us this season.

I still think we’ll scrape through and survive, but we really need to start picking up wins in games like this. For one of the better teams in the league I didn’t think Ayr were up to much - which is probably a reflection of this league as a whole, where outside Dundee Utd, the standard between the rest is pretty similar. In the past 18 months Ayr have comfortably outplayed us, but tonight they just looked like a dirty team who were content kicking and time-wasting to take a point back down the road. Fair play to them for achieving that on a night where they didn’t play particularly well, and I’d be very surprised if they don’t make the playoffs again.

What even is this. There was literally no time wasting, why would we possibly time waste while drawing to the team bottom of the league.

Hopefully the irony of your post isn’t lost on you. McCall trying time stay up by any means, which is fair enough, but that Thistle team is horrible - diving and off the ball challenges all night.

I just watched that back, I knew Cardle should have been off having seen it on the night in front of the stand. How the linesman misses the elbows I'll never know? Cardle headlocks Muirhead before they both end up down and then two elbows to the head. That's a foul to Ayr all day long. The BBC commentators also did a quick 180 after blaming Muirhead and calling it cynical until the replay and they realised how wrong they called it.

The linesman saw the elbows and told the referee which makes it even more baffling!

21 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The linesman saw the elbows and told the referee which makes it even more baffling!

That is baffling... then you hear the crap about how good the standard of refereeing is from the SFA. Utter crap.

I think the initial foul was by Muirhead, he checked cardle and made no attempt to play the ball. What cardle then did was stupid and as clear a red card as you'll ever see. He also had a kick out at an ayr player earlier in the match off the ball

59 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

What even is this. There was literally no time wasting, why would we possibly time waste while drawing to the team bottom of the league.

Hopefully the irony of your post isn’t lost on you. McCall trying time stay up by any means, which is fair enough, but that Thistle team is horrible - diving and off the ball challenges all night

I’m well aware McCall will do anything to try and stay up, and rightly so.

The time-wasting wasn’t so much of the standard ‘take forever at goal kicks’ variety, but numerous times when the ball was on the ground for a throw-in or free kick to be taken, an Ayr player would roll it away. As to why you would employ that tactic against a team who is bottom of the lead, you better ask your manager, because I have no idea. It didn’t really impact the game as there was never a point where we were in control enough to be affected by the game being slowed down, but it absolutely did happen. Just pointing out that you looked a bit more shithouse-y than you ever did under McCall, which I’d guess most fans would be happy about.

Still looks like a penalty on the highlights.  Defender clips Forrest’s heels as he nips the ball in front of him.  I can see why the linesman missed the double elbow by Cardle, but still baffled as to how the referee gave the foul to Partick in the first place.

Just seen the highlights and Brian Graham just full on elbows Aaron Muirhead straight in the face off the ball lol, linesman far side would have been looking at it.

Nights like that you wish there was VAR, Thistle would have ended up with 9 men.

I think the initial foul was by Muirhead, he checked cardle and made no attempt to play the ball. What cardle then did was stupid and as clear a red card as you'll ever see. He also had a kick out at an ayr player earlier in the match off the ball

Cardle had clearly completely lost the plot.

He was lucky to avoid a booking (at best) for the previous incident too!

59 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

What is Cardle like on a week to week basis with Thistle?
Over the years he seems to be permanently raging when he plays Ayr but we surely can't be the only team he loses the rag with...is he just one of those guys always walking the line?

I remember a particular game when he was playing for Dunfermline at Ayr. He got a yellow card for diving but it was never a dive. I was stood right behind that goal and Cardle had clearly just lost his balance and fallen accidentally. Peter Murphy played the situation beautifully. He went up to Cardle and had a word in his ear. What was said can only guessed at but Cardle was so enraged that he hit Murphy in the face and got an immediate red.

I remember a particular game when he was playing for Dunfermline at Ayr. He got a yellow card for diving but it was never a dive. I was stood right behind that goal and Cardle had clearly just lost his balance and fallen accidentally. Peter Murphy played the situation beautifully. He went up to Cardle and had a word in his ear. What was said can only guessed at but Cardle was so enraged that he hit Murphy in the face and got an immediate red.
If I remember right, the red was overturned on appeal. For a punch in the face! According to their manager "He's not that type of player" Aye right.

That second half was pretty grim viewing. Plenty of graft but scrappy from both sides, game never properly opened up as a result.

Missed the first 20 mins on telly due to being at work til late plus the subway was gubbed at st georges cross. Cardle deffo should have been off but the commentary never really made much of the elbow(s) at the time, was weird. Graham looks an upgrade on miller who probably wouldve contrived to hit the post from tbe chance graham buried.

Didnt notice docherty all that much tbh.

Dunno what to make of it all really; plenty of graft from us which we'll need, but the shitshow leading up to the pen where we failed to get a clean head on a pretty routine punt is the type of thing that needs killed off if we're to scrape it out. Too many hopeless punts to nowhere from us too - fair enough we're going to try to go direct with two strikers but they still need better to work with.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely