Airdrieonians Fc vs Stranraer [emoji849]

One of THE worst games of "football" i've ever seen.
That looked like a 9th vs. 10th relegation decider, so nervy, no quality and the less said about that team/formation (whatever it was) the better.
Carrick, Fordyce and McCann the only ones to get pass marks IMO and then bringing Dale off for the shyster Roy, that was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

For me that's the league gone as those are the games that champions HAVE to win, even playing like donkeys.

All of our midfielders are extremely limited. Hawkshaw extremely lightweight and both him and Roberts (who may be unfit) are more no. 10s than centre mids. Millar is a good ball winner but can't do much on the ball. Wedderburn can pick out a pass and is quite classy at times but is far too slow. Kerr and McKay are defenders. What two or three can you even pick out of them to find a decent working midfield, keeping in mind that if you pick three you're dropping one of the forwards?

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

All of our midfielders are extremely limited. Hawkshaw extremely lightweight and both him and Roberts (who may be unfit) are more no. 10s than centre mids. Millar is a good ball winner but can't do much on the ball. Wedderburn can pick out a pass and is quite classy at times but is far too slow. Kerr and McKay are defenders. What two or three can you even pick out of them to find a decent working midfield, keeping in mind that if you pick three you're dropping one of the forwards?

Robert's dissent make the sports science person targets for fitness but then the results show we kinda win games when he links up with the front 3 not saying he is the total answer but if we dont get anyone in he is our best option.

That game was almost as bad , as the first twenty minutes I saw from BBC Sportscene last night but they at least got some goals! It looked as if we had loads of "attempts" and somehow 7 " on target" today but my overall feeling was how little football we actually produced for most of the time. Yes their goalie did make some good stops and a great last minute save; yes we might have scrambled one in but the early attacks from Stranraer also came close. I did think Murray would refresh the team but putting Kerr into midfield was hardly my first choice. Maybe he was trying to get attacks via the wings but nothing seemed to come from that and our ball control overall was sub standard. Ryan Stevenson hardly wasted any possession he got whereas we were just hurry scurry at everything. Playing Ryan in several different positions seems a bit experimental , so it was frustrating as much for him as for me.  The goalie also annoyed me with those moonshots and the ball could well have come down with icicles on it. He did not have a save to make really but his distribution was wasteful. Given what happened with Raith and Falkirk the point keeps us in there but oh please can we play some football!  I had gone for a 3-1 win , as indeed many other posters, but once again I was duff. 

2 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That game was almost as bad , as the first twenty minutes I saw from BBC Sportscene last night but they at least got some goals! It looked as if we had loads of "attempts" and somehow 7 " on target" today but my overall feeling was how little football we actually produced for most of the time. Yes their goalie did make some good stops and a great last minute save; yes we might have scrambled one in but the early attacks from Stranraer also came close. I did think Murray would refresh the team but putting Kerr into midfield was hardly my first choice. Maybe he was trying to get attacks via the wings but nothing seemed to come from that and our ball control overall was sub standard. Ryan Stevenson hardly wasted any possession he got whereas we were just hurry scurry at everything. Playing Ryan in several different positions seems a bit experimental , so it was frustrating as much for him as for me.  The goalie also annoyed me with those moonshots and the ball could well have come down with icicles on it. He did not have a save to make really but his distribution was wasteful. Given what happened with Raith and Falkirk the point keeps us in there but oh please can we play some football!  I had gone for a 3-1 win , as indeed many other posters, but once again I was duff. 

Your point about AR just about sums today up couldn't see the plan when saw the team selected was concerned was more hit and hope than any football played. . I bet 3 0 today... sadly 

7 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Your point about AR just about sums today up couldn't see the plan when saw the team selected was concerned was more hit and hope than any football played. . I bet 3 0 today... sadly 

I only place money bets in the Grand National! It was hit and hope for long spells today.  Oh well!

1 hour ago, monthe blues said:

Different and more confident ?

The last home game against stranrar we were 2 down.  Today our keeper didn't have a save to make. Also stranrar didn't trouble our defence in the away game either.  After the 1st home game against stranrar we climbed up the table.  We never looked like losing today.  If it wasnt for Currie it would have been 3 points.  Good luck to stranrar for the rest of the games.  They aren't a bad side.  They just have to create more.  

I wasn't at that East Fife game away where we drew 2-2 so it might be an exception to this, but today's performance was no worse than any of our recent games since we beat East Fife 4-0. Clyde away was rubbish, Peterhead at home I thought we got outplayed for large chunks but managed 2 early goals to give us something to defend, Forfar at home was exactly like today except we got a goal from a set-piece. Last week was a different level of opposition but the same flaws existed. The difference is this time we didn't scrape a goal and when you don't manage to get the result suddenly there is far more focus on the performance. Regardless of the system we have been playing like this for weeks. We had a month where a new system and a long throw spooked teams, since teams found that out we've gone back to the team we were at the start of the season. It's been said before but it's only because of how poor the top teams have been so far that we were even in with a shout of challenging, with Falkirk finally hitting their stride I think those hopes of a title are gone.

Our back 4 is good, and we have good options up front. Those 2 things mean we will scrape results throughout the season, however the major problem that everyone can see is that there is a giant vacuum in midfield. It offers no protection to the defence, and offers no support to the attack. Today we had 2 different teams playing for us - defence and attack. The 'back 6' would win the ball and kick it as quickly as possible to the 'front 4', who would then be expected to create something despite the service being 40-50 yard punts down the pitch. It's almost like Murray has just accepted we are hopeless in the middle so just to completely bypass it. Unfortunately that is not the solution either. I have absolutely no idea what the solution is with the options we have, but Murray is going to have to find something to ensure we get the play-offs.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever