Star Trek: Picard

King Kebab

It was a little uneven - similar to season 1.

The self reflective Picard moments - which presumably is what attracted Patrick Stewart to returning - are quite dull and for a character who is notoriously private, doesn't over-share and hates talking about himself, he does it a hell of a lot in this show. However it is balanced out by the story-arc which looks great and of course the return of you-know-who at the end. 

I forgot how Season 1 tied everything up. Did they all end up joining/returning to Starfleet or is that something we learned going into Season 2?

16 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

It was a little uneven - similar to season 1.

The self reflective Picard moments - which presumably is what attracted Patrick Stewart to returning - are quite dull and for a character who is notoriously private, doesn't over-share and hates talking about himself, he does it a hell of a lot in this show. However it is balanced out by the story-arc which looks great and of course the return of you-know-who at the end. 

I forgot how Season 1 tied everything up. Did they all end up joining/returning to Starfleet or is that something we learned going into Season 2?

We only learned at the start of season 2.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Having endured the abject misery of Discovery for the past few months, this was very welcome. I enjoyed that a hell of a lot. 

Discovery is just awful. There has emerged a real movement of support for Discovery on social media which seems to be linked to the LGBTQ and trans movement. Criticism of Discovery is usually met with accusations of being a homophobic or anti-trans from what I have seen. Must admit I don't really understand the nuances of the group but whatever their core cause is, it clearly blinds them to the awful plots and stories. 

More shite fan fiction where all the subtext is rendered as text and the Picard character is basically now just Patrick Stewart playing himself.

Bey you any money that shite borg thing is his maw somehow.

Good to see DeLancie though.

Enjoyed that a lot, lets be honest the borg in any fashion have always been good storywise, hell even voyager had good arcs with them

This new age borg, will be interesting to see how it plays out, plus "his" return is jist tremendous (one of my fav star trek characters) hopefully he's involved a lpt in this series

On 05/03/2022 at 13:25, KingRocketman II said:

Discovery is just awful. There has emerged a real movement of support for Discovery on social media which seems to be linked to the LGBTQ and trans movement. Criticism of Discovery is usually met with accusations of being a homophobic or anti-trans from what I have seen. Must admit I don't really understand the nuances of the group but whatever their core cause is, it clearly blinds them to the awful plots and stories. 

I read somewhere that the writers of Discovery had decided that this season was going to focus on mental health and wellbeing - which is exactly as much fun as it sounds. They even had an episode where one character was calming down the computer when it was having a nervous breakdown. 

I don't mind the gay/trans characters. The gay couple - the doctor and the engineer - are amongst the best characters on the show. My objection is to the dreadful plots and storylines. Yet again we have a massive unknown threat to billions of lives. Once again only this miserable, po-faced crew can save the day. The season arcs are just dire. There was one episode earlier in the season that was kind of stand-alone and it was really good. The rest has been mince. 

I should stop watching it, but I'm afraid that the show might do an Enterprise and suddenly become excellent. 

10 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I should stop watching it, but I'm afraid that the show might do an Enterprise and suddenly become excellent. 

If you are referring to a show that gets better, the term "grow the beard" is used.

No idea where it comes from.

Spoiler

Just joking.

On 05/03/2022 at 13:47, renton said:

More shite fan fiction where all the subtext is rendered as text and the Picard character is basically now just Patrick Stewart playing himself.

Bey you any money that shite borg thing is his maw somehow.

Good to see DeLancie though.

Me likey. Might be easy for Patrick Stewart to play a vulnerable and sometimes bewildered old man with an occasional bit of grit, but he does it to perfection. And back to TNG style plots instead the boring militaristic Discovery, I gave up half way through the first series, didn't realise they turned it PC later on.

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Me likey. Might be easy for Patrick Stewart to play a vulnerable and sometimes bewildered old man with an occasional bit of grit, but he does it to perfection. And back to TNG style plots instead the boring militaristic Discovery, I gave up half way through the first series, didn't realise they turned it PC later on.

I just don't feel like he is playing Picard anymore, and part of that is the abysmal writing but art of it is Stewart himself, who was already injecting large parts of himself into the part as far back as Nemesis when Picard suddenly developed a liking for driving off road vehicles quickly.

Now, on a more serious note we have the invention of his parent's abusive, violent marriage which is literally Stewart's own back story. I guess it's common enough that an actor plays a part for so long and when they are the main draw come to dictate the writing, yet it does the writers and show runners no good.

The subtext as text thing annoys me. I remember a line from Futurama where the Robot Devil is critiquing Fry's opera: "You can't just have your characters announce how they feel, that makes me feel angry"

That's where the writing is, along with the absurd, over stuffed plot - it's the Borg! No it's Q, no it's an alternate reality plot, no it's time travel! All in two episodes. I suspect the writer's room is a tombola stuffed with plot points.

The "new" characters are all shite as well.  

Don't get me wrong, Discovery is fucking awful in every respect, but Picard is no better.

Edited by renton