Star Trek: Picard

King Kebab

While I enjoy Star Trek, I'm not an avid devourer of all the ins and outs, so -

my understanding from previous incidents with the Borg is that you only got a couple of shots at them before they collectively adjust to your weapons' effectiveness, and adjust. So how come Starfleet can now fire away with phasers without any worries? Has some mega upgrade to Starfleet weaponry been done that negates the way the Borg learn, and I missed it?

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

my understanding from previous incidents with the Borg is that you only got a couple of shots at them before they collectively adjust to your weapons' effectiveness, and adjust. So how come Starfleet can now fire away with phasers without any worries? Has some mega upgrade to Starfleet weaponry been done that negates the way the Borg learn, and I missed it?

I can't remember the exact timeline but was it not in Best of Both Worlds that they learn to rotate the frequencies in phasers and shielding. Which they had to do manually. Following that they started to introduce adapters and stronger weaponry & defenses by retrofitting what was left of the fleet. And by default with the new ships.

Starfleet hadn't really been building ships for warfare at that point. It was only after that their focus shifted and the likes of the Defiant class were being designed.

Then they just kept learning from further encounters.

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

'Starfleet' in this instance was only one ship, against a decaying Borg cube. The two Borg lads who Riker and Worf faced went down from one shot each from Worf's phaser that was hidden in his (heavy!) sword.

In addition, from what I've seen of Star Trek (the films), it was the units rather than the cube that adjusted to weapons.

Also I'm not 100% on canon, so is this the same queen that was in First Contact? And is this the same cube as seen in series 1 of Picard?

Meant to say, the black stuff instantly draining from the faces of the assimilated was a bit pish. Also, was there an exact age limit as to who got assimilated? Like if your 25th birthday was the day before the Borg transmission were you fine?

I fucking loved this season. Inject the TNG nostalgia into my veins. Getting the old band back together again!

giphy(1).webp.868250439f3344e5b572cd28ae08bb20.webp

Great to see John de Lancie as well!

Some turnaround from the turgid season 2.

Edited by Trogdor

56 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I fucking loved this season. Inject the TNG nostalgia into my veins. Getting the old band back together again!

giphy(1).webp.868250439f3344e5b572cd28ae08bb20.webp

Great to see John de Lancie as well!

Some turnaround from the turgid season 2.

Err... John de Lancie was only in season 2.

29 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Err... John de Lancie was only in season 2.

You didn't watch the scene post credits of season 3, did you? 

Watch it now, watch it and understand it! 🤣

Edited by Trogdor

Those last couple of episodes were superb. Glad I stuck through the pish of season 2 to see the old gang back together. Really tied up the TNG arc nicely.

Seven of Nine in charge of Enterprise G was great to see as well.

The new Star Trek stuff is utter shite.

They've tried to turn the franchise into Star Wars & just using old stories & characters to get people interested.

Turning the Enterprise into an X-Wing going through a Borg cube was ridiculously awful.

15 minutes ago, Venti said:

They've tried to turn the franchise into Star Wars & just using old stories & characters to get people interested.

Turning the Enterprise into an X-Wing going through a Borg cube was ridiculously awful.

Hope you got a tin hat on buddy

4 hours ago, Venti said:

I largely agree. Discovery is fucking awful. Seasons 1 and 2 of Picard likewise. Into Darkness and Beyond were dreadful. Prodigy is eye bleedingly bad. 

Picard season 3 wasn't all that great but not bad, written directly for middle aged fan boys like me. 

On the flip side, Lower Decks is fun and Strange New Worlds is genuinely good.