Star Trek: Picard

King Kebab

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2023 at 20:14, Squalor Vic said:

I've never watched first two seasons but I have a soft spot for Trek (Undiscovered Country is class) and TNG I always watched when I was younger.

Basically, could I watch this without watching the first 2 seasons?

There are two characters called Laris and Raffi that are introduced in season 1.  Apart from that I suspect you can get by without watching the previous two seasons.

I watched episode 1 today.  It's okay.

On 24/02/2023 at 20:26, Squalor Vic said:

This is good fun. Nice stunt casting with Christopher Plummer's daughter 

I wasn't aware that was who she is. But I'm absolutely positive they used the same sound effect for her appearing on the bridge screen that was used in Undiscovered Country.

God, I'm a fucking nerd. 

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I wasn't aware that was who she is. But I'm absolutely positive they used the same sound effect for her appearing on the bridge screen that was used in Undiscovered Country.

God, I'm a fucking nerd. 

Nonsense.  A really nerd would point out that the Ferengi character has two vowels in his name when normally they only have one.

Oh.

Fun Fact.  Ferengi is the Hindi word for Foreigner.

On 25/02/2023 at 12:52, scottsdad said:

Episode 2 was a bit slower, but more light shed on the storyline. Still a fair bit of mystery regarding the baddies. 

of course will all be linked together but if they could dispense with the Raffi character and story line, I would be v v happy with the season so far. I like Plummer as the villain but am a bit worried (and I don't think I am throwing in any spoilers here) with two other villains to follow that they over-crowd the space. One of the yet to be seen villains I am really looking forward to seeing; the other has been done to death and normally bores me shitless....

Fun fact when at it. Christopher Plummer and Shatner were two young and upcoming actors in Canada at one point with Shatner his under-study in a Shakespeare production in Montreal. Shared the screen memorably of course in Star Trek VI which contained Shakespeare vibes. 

Linking past to present, in TOS and particularly the TOS movies and then on to TNG, I really enjoy the Sherlock Holmes thread woven throughout.....

8 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

of course will all be linked together but if they could dispense with the Raffi character and story line, I would be v v happy with the season so far. I like Plummer as the villain but am a bit worried (and I don't think I am throwing in any spoilers here) with two other villains to follow that they over-crowd the space. One of the yet to be seen villains I am really looking forward to seeing; the other has been done to death and normally bores me shitless....

Fun fact when at it. Christopher Plummer and Shatner were two young and upcoming actors in Canada at one point with Shatner his under-study in a Shakespeare production in Montreal. Shared the screen memorably of course in Star Trek VI which contained Shakespeare vibes. 

Linking past to present, in TOS and particularly the TOS movies and then on to TNG, I really enjoy the Sherlock Holmes thread woven throughout.....

The Raffi character I'm not feeling. Just give me more Picard etc.

There's a good podcast on VI from the cine-files. Worth a listen, it's from a couple years back but they put it out again when David Warner passed away. That's where I've heard that Story about Shatner and Plummer I'm sure

On 27/02/2023 at 21:40, Squalor Vic said:

The Raffi character I'm not feeling. Just give me more Picard etc.

There's a good podcast on VI from the cine-files. Worth a listen, it's from a couple years back but they put it out again when David Warner passed away. That's where I've heard that Story about Shatner and Plummer I'm sure

Episode 3 same pattern for me - old characters great and really light up the screen; new main characters in the form of Raffi and Jack - very annoying. The latter having real Scrappy Doo vibes as is often the case when a young, gutsy protagonist is introduced that we are all supposed to be rooting for. The opposite for me. 

Picard getting ordered off the bridge at the end for SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER seemed to be laid on quite thick in the build up to that. 

All in all, as a TNG series, it is still v good.