Star Trek: Picard

King Kebab

It exceeded expectations - fantastic!

Remember, Star Trek has a history of shows with dreadful pilots, slow starts and then gets better. The exception is Voyager, which was shite from the first minute to the last.

Here we have a genuinely engaging pilot. Questions have been asked and I am looking forward to following this. Genuinely considering watching again before Friday.

I really enjoyed it, a fine selection of links back to TNG and a couple of interesting plot lines to explore with the origin of Dash and her sister, Picard's departure from Star Fleet and a potential jump back to the original antagonists taking that role on again with the Romulans. They've also made a great choice in picking up on the "The Measure of a Man" episode of TNG with Bruce Maddox being mentioned.

I saw that a number of reviews have highlighted that those who are unfamiliar with TNG or the films involving that cast will not catch the nods back to that show and may not have been drawn into this show as others, like me, who are big fans.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've not managed to find the Children of Mars short that covers the attack, hoping that it appears somewhere to watch it.

24 minutes ago, gkneil said:

I really enjoyed it, a fine selection of links back to TNG and a couple of interesting plot lines to explore with the origin of Dash and her sister, Picard's departure from Star Fleet and a potential jump back to the original antagonists taking that role on again with the Romulans. They've also made a great choice in picking up on the "The Measure of a Man" episode of TNG with Bruce Maddox being mentioned.

I saw that a number of reviews have highlighted that those who are unfamiliar with TNG or the films involving that cast will not catch the nods back to that show and may not have been drawn into this show as others, like me, who are big fans.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've not managed to find the Children of Mars short that covers the attack, hoping that it appears somewhere to watch it.

Should be on Netflix soon I hope. The first series of shorts are on the Discovery page under "Trailers and more".

1 hour ago, gkneil said:

It really doesn't reveal much more than what you already got in the first episode.

The main focus is on high school bullying!

Thought it was very good. A few of the complaints on Social media were just either completely wrong or "look at me" stuff or people who wanted to hate it/didn't like Discovery (which I quite enjoyed, especially Season 2 with Captain Pike). Like "Picard is too old" - for what? Or "It's in the Kelvin Timeline" - it's not, it cleverly continues from those films while still being 'Prime' Or "It's too left-wing with the refugee stuff" - as if Star Trek hasn't always been lefty and preachy and all the rest.

Liked the way Picard was old (out of breath going up the stairs) but still had that heart of his, liked Daj (and was genuinely a bit shocked about her fate, but I didn't care much for the relevation that came later which seemed a bit of a cop out), liked the Romulan folk at the farm, liked the Easter Eggs in the vault at Starfleet, liked how the bit at the end left so many questions... in fact the only downsides were the lack of a memorable theme at the start (I quite like the Discovery one) and the aforementioned bit with Daj's sister