Motherwell v Hibs - 25th January 2020

It was a decent performance today and we pretty much nullified Hibs with the exception of the chance that hit the post. We had enough chances to win a couple of games but I’m content with a point despite it being two points dropped.

Hibs’ right back was ganting.

1 hour ago, BawWatchin said:

We should be one up there. Header and off the inside of the post. 

Nah, nae goals for hitting the post mate.

A few slack performances today, I thought Campbell was great. Donnelly is a baller.

To come away upset we didn't win is weirdly pleasing.

I fair enjoyed that.

Dominated for large spells and played a lot of good football but just sadly lacked quality in the final third. Which, most of us suspected would be the case before kick off. 

If we’d had Hylton/Long available, I reckon we’d have won that- confident we’d have scored at least. Some of Polworth and Donnelly’s passing was excellent and deserved better from the recipients. 

Scott started on fire but faded. MacIver showed some nice link up play but perhaps lacked a physical presence. Manzinga didn’t seem as neat and tidy but added some chaos factor with his physicality and was unlucky to be denied by a wonder save from Marciano. 

Would have been happy with 4 points at the start of the week so will take the point and another clean sheet. 

Edited by Casagolda

Agree- stunning save but I actually thought Seedorf was a lot better than he has been of late.

Really enjoyed a good open game today and although I thought we were the better team we just couldn't score. Unfortunately pre-match fears on that front proved correct.

Does Boyle normally play in that position as he was surprisingly ineffective? I expected him to be more advanced.

Special mention to the Hibs player (Kamberi?) in the second half who was played down the wing and only had to knock it inside to Horgan to send him through unchallenged on goal. How he managed to hit it in the opposite direction and out for a shy is beyond me.

The 0-0 is a novelty - first in a while.

We've had a few results/performances this season (and historically) where we've either just not turned up or shot ourselves in the foot with daft mistakes after a decent run (Accies & County at FP specifically this season). In that context a decent performance, a clean sheet and a point feels fine - despite possibly doing enough to nick a win. Especially after a 3-0 in the Cup and a 1-0 up at Pittodrie during the week.

As @Casagolda said earlier most suspected we might struggle for a bit of quality in the final third without Long and Hylton. Good to get a look at MacIver, Ilic and Manzinga at various points though.

Stating the obvious a bit but the difference between this version of Liam Donnelly and the one who arrived at the club is unreal and Allan Campbell is fucking brilliant.

Edited by capt_oats

I think that is two very mature, disciplined performances this week - not something we have really been able to say despite the fact we've been having a great season - it feels like we are developing.

I thought the midfield were really good individually and collectively for the 2nd game running and dominated. Campbell had a great game doing what he does and was probably the standout, Donnelly strolled it and in Polworth's case his workrate was top notch to the point where I wonder what people are watching when they question it - his (not a foul at all, ahem) tackle to stop the Hibs break in the last minute summed him up.

We all worried before about the striking situation and we 100% missed Long and it is a bit of a worry that we are seemingly going with what we have for the rest of the season if we are that reliant now that Cole is away. That said, Mazinga was a pleasant surprise - would like to see more of him.

As others have said - 4 points from Pittodrie and today is more than acceptable (and probably 3 points more than I expected) - we need to treat Livi with the respect they deserve next week - and I think if we finish this run wth 5 points and preventing our closest rivals make much ground on us, it will have been a really successful return from the winter break.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Special mention to the Hibs player (Kamberi?) in the second half who was played down the wing and only had to knock it inside to Horgan to send him through unchallenged on goal. How he managed to hit it in the opposite direction and out for a shy is beyond me.

That was actually Boyle. I don't know how he managed that either. If it was Kamberi, I'd understand, he'd accidentally knock the ball out of play when trying a triple-bypass stepover with a double somersault but normally Boyle merely uses the fact he's twice as fast as everyone else to get past players.

Edited by Aim Here

That was actually Boyle. I don't know how he managed that either. If it was Kamberi, I'd understand, he'd accidentally knock the ball out of play when trying a triple-bypass stepover with a double somersault but normally Boyle merely uses the fact he's twice as fast as everyone else to get past players.
Kamberi did something like that 5 minutes earlier on the left wing when he tried to flick the ball on and somehow pirouetted and knocked the ball out. You could see what he was trying though whereas the one on the right was inexplicable. He didn't even need to beat his man- just knock the ball inside.

Actually thought we played well up until the final 3rd. No surprises I guess and I felt McIver was fairly ineffectual. Not being harsh on the boy as he is still very young and with little 1st team experience. 
Scott was on fire 1st half and had the Hibs right back on toast. 
Gallagher is probably the best defender I have seen at Fir Park for a long time, but as a footballer he tries to play and not put his laces through it and nearly got caught out twice. 
Campbell was excellent today as was the midfield in general.

Most disappointingly I read that Moult, Kipre and Marvin Johnson were at Fir Park today. Gutted I never saw one of them.

A draw is not the end of the world and I felt more confident of finishing top 4 based on our overall play. Shame we have 3 million wingers and a few strikers. We all know we could do with another front man in but if Long is back next week I suspect we will run as we are for the rest of the season.