Motherwell v Hibs - 25th January 2020

Allan Campbell v Stephane Omeonga, hopefully, with the winner taking three points, is my guess. Used to love watching McGinn and Campbell go toe-to-toe so this will do as a substitute.

1-1, I reckon. Doidge to continue his incredible run of being in the right place at the right time to score crap goals, Gallagher for us.

This wee run of games against other Top 6 six sides isn't going to decide anything but if we can stay undefeated, we'll be in a strong position.

Hibs are better under Jack than they were under Heckingbottom and it will definitely be harder than the 3-0 game last time at Fir Park. Martin Boyle has always given me the fear - always seems to have a good game against us and I've never been so bitterly disappointed that someone's made a good recovery from a long term injury :)

Despite our good win on Wednesday, I'm not over confident here given the doubts around Long - would be ok with a point to keep the gap with Hibs to 12 points...

I think Hibs have a good squad and have better options upfront than we have. But I also think we are stronger in certain areas so it should be a close match. I actually thought Hibs played quite well when they lost 3-0 at Fir Park. They had quite a few chances to score and on another day....The game at Easter Red was also close and similarly the result could have gone the other way. 

Long not starting would be a worry as we don’t have many out and out scorers. We do carry a decent threat from midfield and defence with Hartley and Gallagher capable of scoring on a reasonably regular basis. 

Boyle is a great player with pace and skill and he is a worry. That plus Hibs know if they have a realistic chance of finishing 3rd or more realistically 4th they probably need to win and certainly cannot afford to lose. 

I would love another 3 points but like others have said would take a draw to keep the gap as is after 2 difficult league games. 

Now that Doidge has started to sclaff the ball into the net on a regular basis I’m quite worried about Hibs attacking threat. I’ve always liked Kamberi and Boyle is one of the leagues most in-form players. They’ll definitely offer more of a threat than Aberdeen did the other night.

If Long is out our options up front aren’t great but equally Hibs defence doesn’t look up to much, particularly with Porteous and Naismith out long term.

What we’re really all here for is Campbell vs Omeonga though! I loved watching Omeonga last year and he seems like a good guy. Wee Al, with his newly shaven heed, will reduce him to tears however.

2-2.

As much of a carry on as our various front 3 permutations were on Wednesday after Long went off the fact we got the result feels very much like a one-off that worked in our favour. Credit to everyone involved and the players implemented the plan perfectly - but still... 

The apparent injury to Long kind of throws up questions and as pleased as I was to see O'Hara had a good game - going full Fraser Kerr with him isn't a tactic that seems like it's a long term thing.

Aside from Doidge sclaffing his way up the scoring table Hibs having folk like Kamberi, Allan and Boyle in the side mean there's far more threat about them than the McInnes-ball tactic of "launch it in the general direction of Cosgrove lads" - which is something we coped with pretty well by all accounts - Hibs definitely seem like they'll ask more questions.

As others have said Campbell vs Omeonga will hopefully be good value.

Would happily take a draw tbh.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

As others have said Campbell vs Omeonga will hopefully be good value.

Not really sure why people are saying this? Omeonga is not match fit and that was very obvious on Wednesday. He will come good as hes a decent player, but he isnt playing 90 minutes tomorrow. And as @HibsFan has said, the chubby baller has been totally off the boil last few matches.

2=0 Well

The 3-0 win at Fir Park earlier in the season flattered us and the 3-1 at Easter Road flattered Hibs. In the last few visits to Easter Road, Hibs have got in behind our defence with long and through balls. Hopefully we sort that out.

Martin Boyle is a quality player and it’s good he’s recovered from 2 serious sounding injuries. He was brilliant in the TV games I saw recently. Kamberi is also quality so I expect Hibs to score.

2-2