St Mirren v Aberdeen 26/01/20 1230ko

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

'There's a goal at the end of the pitch for a reason' - McInnes

FT: St Mirren 0-0 Aberdeen

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes says he shares the frustration of the fans, after his side were held to a goalless draw by St Mirren.

He told BBC Scotland: "We came here and did a lot right. But getting a point is frustrating because I thought we had enough possession to get more from the game.

"A point on the road in the Premiership isn't the worst result but we came here hoping to get the three points and close the gap on Motherwell. I think the fans share the same frustration as we all do.

SNSCopyright: SNS

"They see the team working extremely hard and controlling the game but we still need to try to get something more out of that, try and be a bit more potent in the final third because it's all well keeping the ball, but there's a goal at the end of the pitch for a reason and we've got to threaten the goal a bit more.

"There was a lot right about the team, the same as the other night [1-0 defeat by Motherwell], but the job is to score goals and we've failed to do that."

McInnes, who also believes his side were denied a "stonewall" penalty when Sam Cosgrove was brought down by Conor McCarthy in the first half, said there may be more players arriving before Aberdeen travel to Ibrox to face Rangers next weekend.

"We'll keep asking the question, try and get one or two in if we can, maybe shift things about a little bit. But hopefully we can try and bring something more to the table that can help us in the second part of the campaign."

Hmm, 2 out of 4. Almost as predictable as the tactics.

The most threatening pass we played all game was when McGeouch put Obika through. 

He's laying the blame on the players yet again whilst they're clearly following his instructions. If he took some bloody responsibility and acknowledged his mistakes once in a while it might be possible to cut the guy a bit of slack, but every week he blames everyone but himself. 

Wasn't long ago the SFA awarded 4 (FOUR) penalties against us at SEVCO.  3 of which were not correct.  I'll look forward to us getting the benefit of the doubt against you next time we meet and there's a stone waller.  Because 'these things even themselvesout over the seasons...'.  

Congrats on an entirely irrelevant point.

No one expects AFC to be above the ugly sisters but given the absolute dearth of quality in this league, dropping 21 points to The Rest this season is dreadful given our budget. If AFC had picked up even half of those we’d be 6 or 7 points clear in 3rd.

Sitting 3rd/4th in the league is bang average for Aberdeen given their budget (or 2nd without Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, United). McInnes is not over-achieving by doing so.

The problem is that he is achieving break even with a style of football that is fucking horrendous. He has learned absolutely Jack Shit about how to play in Europe over 6 campaigns. His cup record is chequered – capitulations, hammerings, and a couple 1/2-and-outs as well the finals and semis.

It may well be better than what went before but that to use that as justification for retaining McInnes ad infinitum is the strawest of straw men.

Aberdeen penalty shout was a stonewalled, both hands wrapped Cosgrove’s waist. We were pretty rubbish today, it’s ridiculous that out of our attacking options it was Mullen who got no game time. You’d have to imagine that Mullen will be up front next week by virtue of not having been shite this week. I like Obika but he had a definite off day today, Aberdeen defenders handled him well. Morias was rotten, hardly showed for the ball. Cooke’s movement is non-existent, he had the same number of touches as Paul McGinn today and Cooke’s was after McGinn’s.

We've been on the shitty end of two ridiculously bad decisions in Paisley this season. 
That's not to excuse our lack of creativity but it can't be denied that these decisions were turning points in both games. 
I still reckon Cosgrove is fouling McCarthy before the penalty shout today. I wonder if that was in the ref's subconscious.

We were also on the end of a bad decision at Pittodrie when Lewis should've been sent off. He then saves the (poor) penalty.

It's frustrating when big decisions go against you but over the piece Aberdeen have taken a point from two games in Paisley and that's all they've deserved.

Guest Bob Mahelp
25 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Wasn't long ago the SFA awarded 4 (FOUR) penalties against us at SEVCO.  3 of which were not correct.  I'll look forward to us getting the benefit of the doubt against you next time we meet and there's a stone waller.  Because 'these things even themselvesout over the seasons...'.  

A good point well made. 

Entirely irrelevant and nothing to do with today, but a good point. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Suddenly that point that St Mirren were desperate for from the start of the game doesn't look all that good. 

I'd imagine Hearts will overhaul them by the end of February. 

Suddenly that point that St Mirren were desperate for from the start of the game doesn't look all that good. 

Hearts looked good today. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get beat away to St Johnstone next week though.

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I imagine they might , but by the point we will be above Killie and St Johnstone. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Hearts were never the issue , they were always going to strengthen and climb the league. I would think that,  Hearts apart , St Mirren will be hardest to beat out of the rest in the bottom 6. With McGinn going it means we can afford at least another two bods in before Friday , hopefully both attacking players !

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, billyg said:

Hearts were never the issue , they were always going to strengthen and climb the league. I would think that,  Hearts apart , St Mirren will be hardest to beat out of the rest in the bottom 6. With McGinn going it means we can afford at least another two bods in before Friday , hopefully both attacking players !

St Mirren have lost 13 out of 23 games this season, and won a massive 5. And you can't play Aberdeen every week.

Is there another St Mirren in the league that I don't know about ? 

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

St Mirren have lost 13 out of 23 games this season, and won a massive 5. And you can't play Aberdeen every week.

Is there another St Mirren in the league that I don't know about ? 

Only 2 defeats (Celtic & Rangers) in our last seven suggest we'll be just fine. 

Shite game. Obika was unlucky with the chance hitting the post but he had a poor game overall, would have liked to see Cooke and Mullen on for Obika and Andreu at about 70 minutes. I thought McCarthy and Flynn both played very well. Famewo looked very flappy in the first half but settled into the game. It was a shame MacPherson got booked so early on as he's not the same player when he has to be cautious.

I was surprised to see a few folk slagging Morias. I thought he had a decent game but hardly got a sniff of the ball. Durmus looked more lively in the second half.  Waters deserves some credit for trying to get forward more today. Not sure if there's anything to the Paul McGinn rumours but I'd like to see him back so Flynn can move into centre mid in Magennis's absence.

6 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Didn't see the game today but can I assume we just played aimless long punts to Cosgrove and tried to rely on McGinn and Kennedy to make anything happen?

Did Kennedy make his debut? 

12 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Did Kennedy make his debut? 

I certainly saw him running about a bit.

However, there must have been a sense of deja vu at inhabiting a back pocket for the third time this season against us.

54 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Didn't see the game today but can I assume we just played aimless long punts to Cosgrove and tried to rely on McGinn and Kennedy to make anything happen?

Not exactly. Definitely tried to build from the back a lot more; McGeouch and Ojo looked a lot better as a pairing because of that. However we were utterly toothless around their box.