SWPL Predictions for 2020

FitbaDafty

Be interesting to see the thoughts of others as to how the two SWPL leagues are going to fare this year with Rangers and Celtic both turning professional.

SWPL 1 For me it's still hard to see past City for the title, they have kept almost all their squad and look dangerous in all areas. Hibs were best of the rest last year but have lost more players, I do think they still have a great core of a team and have kept their best players but perhaps lack a little depth, goalkeeper could be a crucial position for them. Celtic have strengthened and with a new manager could pose a real threat. Rangers are the real enigma, almost a complete change of staff and the pressure of a huge budget, I wonder what will be considered a success for them at the end of the season. Plenty of decent signings but I'm not entirely sure where the goals are going to come from.

So here goes 1 - City 2 - Celtic 3 - Rangers 4 - Hibs

Relegation could be any of the four others, I don't think there will be much in it at the end of the season.

SWPL 2 Looks to be a real decent contest again with several teams making good signings, Hamilton for me look to have the best squad and having went so close last season will have something to prove.

I think it'll be a close fight for the title with City probably edging it. Could see Hearts or Motherwell spring a surprise and finish in the top 4. Hibs will miss Napier quite a lot with her departure to Chelsea.

I think United are probably a good shout for the SWPL2 title, as a lot of their key players e.g. Guthrie and Johnstone are a year older and have developed a bit more. Hamilton will be close as well.

Glasgow city will run away with it with rangers and celtic close. All 3 have brilliant managers and recruited well. I think hibs will struggle this year. Lost alot of players and appointed a manager who will struggle to attract players to the club.

SWPL 2 looks like being the most competitive league, I think almost all teams have made positive steps forward from last year. United will definitely be in the mix as their new signings have loads of SWPL 1 experience. Partick Thistle and Glasgow Women also look to have impressive squads so it could be a season to remember.

hibs4ever, think you're being a bit harsh on Hibs as I think they still have a really strong 9 -10 players who will cause most teams problems. You may be right about recruitment as one new signing pre season that I'm aware of is not nearly enough. Cant see them being near the top three if they are relying on young development players.

Glasgow City, Celtic, Rangers top 3.

I'm not sure Rangers have that strong a squad but have good signings in ex Hibees Brownlie, Fife and Cornet. 

Spartans, Hibs and Motherwell maybe to fight out 4th spot. Spartans seem to raise their game against Hibs so may come down to results between the two. Hearts also have players capable of doing well in the League.

I just hope the title goes down to the wire, City's dominance is a bit boring. Perhaps Celtic will pick up a cup if they don't win the League 

I reckon it will be a lot tighter this year and agree hibs will probably be 4th after losing so much talent. Rangers have a fortune to spend and the money the girls are on is ridiculous, if it works they could be a force but if not it could be a disaster, signing a lot of players no one has heard of over here could be a risk. Celtic look to be doing solid business and have consistently improved over the past few years so I will tip them for 2and ahead of Rangers. City should still have enough class and experience to pop both to the title though.

My biggest issue with the women's league is that they play through the Summer but take a 6 week summer break. Would just be easier if they played through the winter and took a 6-8 week break from early December to early February.

I do hope that they can avoid the amateurism from last season - with Glasgow City winning the title in a public park.

Well we all seem pretty much agreed on where the title is likely to end up this season. Where does this leave Celtic or Rangers. Given the levels of investment, will the clubs be satisfied with the "progress" of moving up one place in the league standings at the end of the season. It will be hard for either club to put a positive spin on the season if there is no silverware to back it up. It also begs the question will the investment be sustained.

Champions league is where everybody wants to be and perhaps qualification in second place would justify investment (not even sure if 2nd place this year in Scotland gets you in).

There's no doubt City will be caught and overtaken in the upcoming seasons, I just can't see it this year.

Can't see past the three Glasgow clubs taking the top 3 spots, and think City will have enough experience to win again. But I definitely think it will be closer than it was last year. Hibs will probably have enough to finish fourth, but I just feel they've lost too much talent to trouble the Glasgow clubs this year. Will definitely be interesting to see what impact Rangers and Celtic going pro will have. I'm looking forward to it all starting!

Will be fascinating to see how the league shakes up, probably the least predictable in a long time with so many players coming and going. Hopefully Rangers, Celtic and Hibs will take points off Glasgow City to make it less of a canter to the title and a bit more open. My hunch is that Celtic may give Glasgow City a bit of a run for the title this year, but agree with everyone else that City are probably still too strong. Hibs have lost a lot of talent again, especially Jamie-Lee Napier, so will struggle I think. Hearts under a new manager will be interesting 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Celtic snatch a winner in stoppage time to beat Glasgow City 2-1 in the season opener. Horrible conditions in EK. And the weather was crap too.

That's normal for K Park! There's a reason why there's wind turbines build nearby...