St. Johnstone v Killie

I didn’t appreciate just how good that first goal was in terms of build up. There must’ve been about 15 passes, working the ball from left to right and then back to the left again before Tanser put in that delicious ball for McCann to score from. 

That booking just looked a typical referee cop out by booking both players to be honest. Hendry lying on the ground hurt and Findlay I think it was dragged him up. Hendry understandably shoves him off, and they both get booked when it should just have been the Killie player.

Having said that, apart from the poor penalty decision, actually thought the referee wasn't bad yesterday. Might be a bit influenced by the dreadful refereeing at Livingston, but overall I thought yesterday there wasn't too much to complain about for either side. Would obviously be feeling differently  if we hadn't gone on to win after that penalty award!

11 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

When I saw the 5-3-2 I was slightly surprised but it undoubtedly gave us more control, probably more control of a game than we have had all season. One of the more unseen benefits of the formation was allowing us to defend from the front. Wednesday had seen a really isolated May, but the two up front allowed him and Kane to pressure a lot more with Wotherspoon and McCann backing them. The midfield was better balanced too. McCann was allowed to play as he wanted (and what a wonderful player he is turning into) but I thought Wotherspoon was the star turn. Noticed a few fans shouting for him off and Swanson on after a free kick a few minutes before the goal- I've said it before and I'll say it again; we wouldn't be in this mess if we had a squad of players who took on responsibility like David Wotherspoon does.

As for the game overall, a deserved three points only stained by the 5-10 minutes after the goal where saints fell to pieces a little. Killie were pretty forgettable, with a centre forward who didn't look ready for this level and totally reliant on Burke for inspiration. They certainly didn't look any better than the teams surrounding saints.

I'll hold my hands up and say I was one of those wanting Swanson on for Spoony.  Nothing to do with his performance - he was on a yellow and had been pulled up for two "fouls" on the that cheating wee shite Burke and was clearly getting frustrated and was arguing back with the officials.  I was worried another foul would see him get a 2nd yellow for persistent fouling.

He was one of many who were excellent yesterday.  Booth was superb, as was Tanser. Holt and McCann never wasted a ball.  Great all round performance.  In hindsight, Drey must have been injured for most of the first half - his passing was poor compared to normal, culminating in him giving the ball away for the free kick where Spoony was booked and Zander pulled off a good save from Burke.

Overall it was the best I've seen Saints play this season and we thoroughly deserved the win.

What's with that shit "Tequila" song the Killie fans were singing? I kept picturing Jack and Victor giving it "da da da da da da DA Killmarnock"  Bring back Paper Roses lads - that was the worst chant I've heard at a game for a long time.

5 minutes ago, The Marly said:

What's with that shit "Tequila" song the Killie fans were singing? I kept picturing Jack and Victor giving it "da da da da da da DA Killmarnock"  Bring back Paper Roses lads - that was the worst chant I've heard at a game for a long time.

Think they shout Kabamba at the tequila bit, st Mirren fans do it for obika which kind of works and it's a copy of that.

To be honest, I'm not going to slag any support for making a bit of atmosphere compared to our sweetie rustling support. About to  change in a couple of weeks at Somerset though...!!

Agree with the other points - thought Saints were very decent yesterday. Gordon and Kerr didn't give Killie a sniff and our midfield was combative throughout.

Thought Spoony was great, his control and passing was good and he never stopped but McCann is a standout, bossed the game.

Think Hendry was booked for potentially going over the ball to Findlay and that was why he was pissed off - if it was just for his reaction then it was a nonsense. Actually thought it was a foul for their penalty but was definitely outside the box. Wright was poor first half, not sure if I am allowed to mention it but thought Ralston was an upgrade on him in the second half. He has his limitations but he never hides and he puts his body on the line (like in the last minute) - I do think he will end up a started for a lower Prem team in the future. Booth looks more comfortable in a back 3, his passing seemed to be better than other games.

We definitely looked more threatening with Hendry on but I am wondering if his fitness is an issue with how many minutes he is getting - he looked goosed after 25 minutes although was maybe the amount of running he was doing. May put in a good shift, more dynamic and his running helped us see out the game.

Nice to hear Muzz on Saints TV, he actually grew into the role and was good by the end but you could tell how nervous he was. His quote from the start was a classic "Killie are a hardworking side so...you know...they will work hard"

Killie were woeful, devoid of ideas and barely threatened outside of a 10 minute period - they should be worried although there are probably two worse sides in this league than both Saints and Killie.