St. Johnstone v Killie

Delighted to get a deserved win and plenty of good stuff to take from the formation: the centre backs stepping out, the partnership between Booth and Tanser, Wotherspoon slotting in more centrally and having two strikers but not losing out in the midfield. The first point there about the centre backs is crucial as it helps the wing backs get the ball in better areas.

As decent a performance as it was, I'd still like to see a bit more from us going forward, guys take the easy pass too often, the strikers turn back too often and as a team, they are guilty of over-passing in the final third and not getting a shot or cross in. A settled team and shape would maybe help on that front. 

Despite that, we did enough to today to deserve the win and it should be enjoyed as we badly needed it. 

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

Delighted to get a deserved win and plenty of good stuff to take from the formation: the centre backs stepping out, the partnership between Booth and Tanser, Wotherspoon slotting in more centrally and having two strikers but not losing out in the midfield. The first point there about the centre backs is crucial as it helps the wing backs get the ball in better areas.

As decent a performance as it was, I'd still like to see a bit more from us going forward, guys take the easy pass too often, the strikers turn back too often and as a team, they are guilty of over-passing in the final third and not getting a shot or cross in. A settled team and shape would maybe help on that front. 

Despite that, we did enough to today to deserve the win and it should be enjoyed as we badly needed it. 

So as someone who isn't keen on a back 5, does that formation seems to suit our personnel on the park as it seems to on paper?

Our best result in well over a year.
Thoroughly deserved victory, we were the better team throughout.
Ali McCann was majestic today. The number of times you think he’s closed down and he finds the pass is incredible. 
Two games running our midfield has outplayed one of the best midfields in the country outwith the OF.
Absolute credit to Tommy Wright, tactically got it bang on today. And the players as well, great determination and desire the whole match.
Brilliant.

Thought we were terrific for most of the match. Most enjoyable match for a long time.

Yes, although I started after losing to St Mirren - look at our upcoming fixtures and I don't see us getting many points soon

The juggernaut’s run out of fuel. Seems that SSC was a blip. Back to normal for the Killie bottom feeders hopefully, right beside us. Makes it more interesting.

That was a MASSIVE 3 points. Loved Tommy's reaction at the end - a man under pressure and to his credit that was a bold change of shape today.

I thought Ali McCann put in his best performance for Saints. Absolutely dominated one of the best central pairings in the country and never missed a pass all day. Outstanding.

The defence was excellent throughout and the wingback position suits Tanser. Two lovely crosses for the goals.

Kane put a shift in but he's incredibly limited and is a major part of the issue with our lack of creativity. He doesn't turn defences, it's all physical with back to goal. When Hendry came on he showed how a Striker can win headers, take a good first touch, link with the midfield and bring others into play and cause absolute havoc. No coincidence the Killie defence started picking up bookings when he came on - they were rattled. 

Well done to the players, most I've enjoyed a game for a while.

Our defence and midfield looked good today. We still aren't great inthe final third with passes going astray and a lack of creativity at times, but I think that's too be expected where we're at.

As well as McCann standing out, thought Holt was very good.  Spoony also put a shift in and was regularly involved.

For all the stick our signing policy gets, I think Booth has been a tremendous find for us.

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

For all the stick our signing policy gets, I think Booth has been a tremendous find for us.

Plays with his head up. Good first touch. Very neat and tidy. Rarely let's people in behind. I like him.

Looked a penalty to me. He let the guy goal side then dived in?
We’re going about this the right way and bar a silly mistake giving away the penalty we’ve been pretty comfortable IMO. I’d still much rather have Hendry where Kane is though....
Debatable whether it was a foul but regardless it was 100% outside the box.

When I saw the 5-3-2 I was slightly surprised but it undoubtedly gave us more control, probably more control of a game than we have had all season. One of the more unseen benefits of the formation was allowing us to defend from the front. Wednesday had seen a really isolated May, but the two up front allowed him and Kane to pressure a lot more with Wotherspoon and McCann backing them. The midfield was better balanced too. McCann was allowed to play as he wanted (and what a wonderful player he is turning into) but I thought Wotherspoon was the star turn. Noticed a few fans shouting for him off and Swanson on after a free kick a few minutes before the goal- I've said it before and I'll say it again; we wouldn't be in this mess if we had a squad of players who took on responsibility like David Wotherspoon does.

As for the game overall, a deserved three points only stained by the 5-10 minutes after the goal where saints fell to pieces a little. Killie were pretty forgettable, with a centre forward who didn't look ready for this level and totally reliant on Burke for inspiration. They certainly didn't look any better than the teams surrounding saints.

Couldn’t agree more about Wotherspoon. Whether he’s on form or not he never hides and will always look to take responsibility. He’d have been my choice as captain at the start of the season. He’s made of the right stuff, the young players are bound to follow his example and he loves the club. 

Edited by Kyle