Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Hubei Province doing absolutely nothing to dispel the notion that their figures have been bollocks from the start. So far it's only really Wuhan that is revising its figures upwards, but I doubt the figures for Hubei outside Wuhan have been anywhere near accurate.
In China outside of Hubei province the number of reported new cases continues to fall - less than 300 yesterday. The number of deaths outside of Hubei is only about 60 out of 12,000 odd cases (0.5%) and it's notable that in the more developed provinces the rate is much lower than in the more backward ones (i.e. 0 deaths in Zhejiang out of 1155 cases, 2 deaths out of 1261 in Guangdong, but 11 out of 1184 in Henan and 11 out of 418 in Heilongjiang).
Based on figures from https://news.qq.com/zt2020/page/feiyan.htm

I wouldn’t necessarily class Zhejiang as being more developed, but know what you mean :-) . Having said that I would say you are pretty much spot on.

Many pages ago I noted from the very start there were discrepancy in figures. Some UK lab reporting nearly 10 times the number and a couple of weeks later a french lab. Both through data modelling.

The way this was announced yesterday strikes wholly of mianzi and since, two more officials removed from there posts. Pretty much guaranteed that things have been under reported in China from the start and that has really contributed to it getting way out of hand.

Its likely we will see more ‘spikes’ for whatever reason in the coming days/weeks (not as large) and maybe built into the daily true figures. If that happens it then makes it difficult to predict the end, but it looks likely it is somewhat under control now (health wise).

The imbalance of reporting in the regions could be down to several factors. Poor infrastructure, rural and in some of the, less ‘balanced’ cities
(Yiwu springs to mind) or just a lack of care, management or understanding. In Xinjiang, they probably won’t bother reporting it ;-)

10 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

I wouldn’t necessarily class Zhejiang as being more developed, but know what you mean 🙂

True, Zhejiang, like Guangdong, is a bit of a mixed bag, but I'd much rather be in a hospital in Hangzhou or Ningbo than I would one in Zhengzhou or Luoyang. GDP per capita (not always the best indicator, but also not the worst) is relatively high.

A lean day in front of goal for the Sneezing Princess team as they start to offload a few free transfers to Japan.

‘Punching above their weight’ is now being banded about for little Singapore who continue consolidate third with a healthy points tally, double their nearest rival.

China punch in another strong day, but rumours of match fixing abound for them. A strong possibility of still re addressing the numbers from before.

Egypt are the first African qualifier with there first point gained.

IMG_2166.thumb.jpg.83f4a03a29cca227652064ece0d5dd25.jpg

IMG_2167.thumb.jpg.17fc51acf4ad96a94ea22e942821b9df.jpg

13 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

A lean day in front of goal for the Sneezing Princess team as they start to offload a few free transfers to Japan.

‘Punching above their weight’ is now being banded about for little Singapore who continue consolidate third with a healthy points tally, double their nearest rival.

China punch in another strong day, but rumours of match fixing abound for them. A strong possibility of still re addressing the numbers from before.

Egypt are the first African qualifier with there first point gained.

IMG_2166.thumb.jpg.83f4a03a29cca227652064ece0d5dd25.jpg

IMG_2167.thumb.jpg.17fc51acf4ad96a94ea22e942821b9df.jpg

Either you are way behind or the BBC are telling tales...

However, more than 1,500 people have died from the virus within China, mostly in Hubei where it first emerged.

A further 2,641 people have been newly confirmed as infected, bringing the China's total to 66,492.

Either you are way behind or the BBC are telling tales...

However, more than 1,500 people have died from the virus within China, mostly in Hubei where it first emerged.

A further 2,641 people have been newly confirmed as infected, bringing the China's total to 66,492.

The amazing phenomenon of time.

At this late stage in the tournament it would be difficult to expect a change in the top 3.

After a lull yesterday the Sneezing Princess team racked up a few more points. Singapores workmanlike performance keeps bagging the points at a steady pace.

It is China though who keep driving the points tally closer to 100,000. Surely it is only a matter of time. The shine may be taken of f their achievement as questions still arise about their calculations and methods and the world governing body may ban them from future competition for breaching fair play rules.

France are the first European team to join the elite category alongside China, Japan and Philippines.

Tables below. For the hard of understanding. Time is continuous and this the posted table is as of now, which is now currently in the past and subject to change.

IMG_2168.jpg
IMG_2169.jpg

Without any context or explanation it doesn't really mean anything at all. There are an awful lot of fake stories attached to videos knocking about.

Edit to add: Just like the one above.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/violent-aftermath-of-coronavirus/

Edited by bendan

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Good game

Found it hard to get past the photo tbh, but this was the clincher.

"Take us to Brize Norton, take us straight into the medical facility and let us do our quarantine there by people who can speak our language."

Mr Abel added that his appeal was a reflection of "just how desperate some of the passengers are becoming".

He and his wife have previously said they have been given the option to leave and continue their quarantine ashore if they test negative for the virus, but have chosen to remain on board.

4 hours ago, bendan said:

Without any context or explanation it doesn't really mean anything at all. There are an awful lot of fake stories attached to videos knocking about.

Edit to add: Just like the one above.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/violent-aftermath-of-coronavirus/

I don't get why people get a kick out of making the world look worse than it is, or why people spread them around without a cursory check. For a start the soundtrack doesn't remotely match the jumbled editing.

P.S. About all the bat stories...

https://observers.france24.com/en/20200203-china-coronavirus-bat-soup-debunk-videos-viral-palau-indonesia

https://observers.france24.com/en/20200204-china-debunked-coronavirus-dogs-snakes-rats-bats-wuhan-market-indonesia

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't get why people get a kick out of making the world look worse than it is, or why people spread them around without a cursory check. For a start the soundtrack doesn't remotely match the jumbled editing.

P.S. About all the bat stories...

https://observers.france24.com/en/20200203-china-coronavirus-bat-soup-debunk-videos-viral-palau-indonesia

https://observers.france24.com/en/20200204-china-debunked-coronavirus-dogs-snakes-rats-bats-wuhan-market-indonesia

I think the people who put these things together usually have an axe to grind, but it's weird how so many people just lap it up. I've lost count of the number of videos on twitter of old Chinese people lying on the ground and the poster claiming this shows someone dying of the coronavirus, as if old people have suddenly stopped falling over for other reasons.