Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

A lot going on here. Incubation could be 24 days, could be 14 days, could be an average of 3 days.

Interesting point the interviewee makes about the lack of cases in places with strong links to China. Indonesia and the low number confirmed in Malaysia seem pretty strange.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/11/coronavirus-expert-warns-infection-could-reach-60-of-worlds-population

My friend's wife works in one of the main hospitals in KL as a translator, and she says that people with symptoms are simply being sent home and asked not to come back to the hospital. Rest it out. With that in mind, it seems impossible to have a reasonable handle on how many cases there are in Malaysia.

Malaysia is still allowing access to people from China and the main concern at the moment seems to be protecting the tourist industry. New Straits Times reports today that almost 100,000 hotel bookings in Malaysia have been cancelled up to the end of February, causing a bit of an industry crisis. It seems the government is more concerned about that then about stopping the virus spreading.

Not overly surprised the lack of cases in Indonesia. Except for Bali, they are not so close to China and in fact pretty much embroiled in a spat with them right now over the South China Sea. Indonesia actually calling Chinas bluff on that!

However, would expect some cases in Bali and there is a huge problem there just now as there is a large number of Chinese stuck there as they are no flights out and they are technically overstaying their visas now. 

Not sure the Indonesian government are that willing to help there situation.

Sabah blocked Singapore passports and residents as mentioned above and a big fear in Singapore, west Malaysia will do the same then Singapore has huge problems.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Anybody heard if the incubation period might be longer?

Research in Shanghai is suggesting that fans of Scottish Junior football may in fact be asymptomatic carriers who have transferred it to the human population.

19 minutes ago, bendan said:

The number of new cases in China outside of Hubei Province is continuing to fall. It's down from a peak of 890 about 8 or 9 days ago to 380 yesterday. There are now almost as many getting let out of hospitals as new cases (outside of Hubei). Things might pick up again with some people going back to work, but from what I hear most people are still staying at home. Hubei still seems to be a mess, so the stats from there are pretty meaningless.

Very relevant this. Hubei has been a basket case and I seen that senior officials are now being sacked/blamed/replaced there as expected a while back. 

Death rate there is 2%, elsewhere its 0.2%

Expect another spike as people get back to work, but on the whole the pattern settling.

10 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Very relevant this. Hubei has been a basket case and I seen that senior officials are now being sacked/blamed/replaced there as expected a while back. 

Death rate there is 2%, elsewhere its 0.2%

Expect another spike as people get back to work, but on the whole the pattern settling.

It's hard to say what the death rate is in Hubei as even seriously ill people couldn't get a bed in a hospital and were going undiagnosed. 

Not overly surprised the lack of cases in Indonesia. Except for Bali, they are not so close to China and in fact pretty much embroiled in a spat with them right now over the South China Sea. Indonesia actually calling Chinas bluff on that!
However, would expect some cases in Bali and there is a huge problem there just now as there is a large number of Chinese stuck there as they are no flights out and they are technically overstaying their visas now. 
Not sure the Indonesian government are that willing to help there situation.

Sabah blocked Singapore passports and residents as mentioned above and a big fear in Singapore, west Malaysia will do the same then Singapore has huge problems.

Sorry if I have misunderstood but Indonesia not so close to China? It's one of the countries with the most direct flights and the Chinese-Indonesian population is fairly sizeable here in Jakarta.

The virus is definitely in Indonesia, would be amazed if it isn't. They have only had the tests for a couple of days.

She is not allowed to leave our house for the next 72 hours until the results come back from London. There is nothing to it really but they seem to be taking no chances, full Hazmat suits and talking through phones in different rooms during the tests. My work, on the other hand, are taking the screw it just infect every bugger route with me as I had to warn them about what was happening.
Moomintroll the super-spreader.

1 hour ago, Saigon Raider said:

Sorry if I have misunderstood but Indonesia not so close to China? It's one of the countries with the most direct flights and the Chinese-Indonesian population is fairly sizeable here in Jakarta.

The virus is definitely in Indonesia, would be amazed if it isn't. They have only had the tests for a couple of days

Bloody phone!

1 hour ago, Saigon Raider said:

The virus is definitely in Indonesia, would be amazed if it isn't. They have only had the tests for a couple of days.

You read correct.

A Chinese-Indonesian population doesn’t constitute a strong relationship overall. Indonesia and China have always had a fractured relationship including long periods of suspended diplomatic relationships. 

Jokowi has come under a lot off pressure for aligning closer to China and is seeking more and more investment from the Middle East rather than China.

There has always been an underlying (and sometimes not so underlying)  issue of racial discrimination of Chinese in Indonesia. 

In January they made there biggest ever troop deployment including troops, missiles and submarines to Great Natuna in response to China.

Its kind of safe to guess there is no great love lost between them.

From a study last year:

Bilateral relations between Indonesia and China have always been complicated by being entangled with Indonesian domestic politics. Anti-Chinese sentiment and discriminatory policies against the sizeable ethnic-Chinese minority in the country have been prevalent throughout Indonesian history.

China has now become Indonesia’s largest trading partner and its third largest foreign investor. President Joko Widodo’s courting of China’s investment in major infrastructure projects has come under intense domestic criticism, especially due to the allegedly large influx of Chinese workers into Indonesia.
 The rise in identity politics in Indonesia has again conflated Indonesia-China relations with tensions over the role of Chinese-Indonesians, thereby threatening Indonesia’s hard-won and still fragile inter-racial harmony.

On the virus, definitely there will be cases in Indonesia 

Edited by Tight minge

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

51% of doctors in China don’t even have a 5 year medical degree so the hospitals are massively understaffed.

The scary thing is that China is light years ahead of most of the rest of Asia. I certainly wouldn’t visit there but if I did then I wouldn’t want to get sick. A paper cut is basically a death sentence.

Image result for panic gif

I think the point regarding Indonesia and Malaysia is that there will have been considerable movement between those countries and China in the last month, yet official numbers of cases seem improbably low.

It's reasonable to ask if this is simply political. As I said, Malaysia seems to be making no effort to test people.

No news is good news etc.

4 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I think the point regarding Indonesia and Malaysia is that there will have been considerable movement between those countries and China in the last month, yet official numbers of cases seem improbably low.

It's reasonable to ask if this is simply political. As I said, Malaysia seems to be making no effort to test people.

No news is good news etc.

Thing is, if someone is not diagnosed with this and dies. They will be a ‘stat’ elsewhere. With such a low kill rate, deaths could easily not be accounted for. 

Statistically more people die of paper-cuts in China.

Guest Moomintroll
Moomintroll the super-spreader.
All change now, been instructed to vacate the premises until advised by the NHS that the results are clear. The high heid yins have got involved & they aren't taking any chances.

3 hours ago, bendan said:

Research in Shanghai is suggesting that fans of Scottish Junior football may in fact be asymptomatic carriers who have transferred it to the human population.

Imagine if we join the pyramid. Never mind tier 6, there will be plenty of tears!

Thailand chalks up 1 hit today, taking our tally to 33.

We also have some cruise ship floating near our coast, but we're not letting them dock.  It's already been told to f**k off by Japan, Guam & Philippines. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1855294/pm-aid-medical-help-possible-for-stranded-ship

Probably chancing it's luck as we were letter cruise ship dock at Koh Samui the other day (European) once every last Chinese person was off the Island.

I think @JTS98 was saying Malaysia hotels are missing 100,000 booking.  Thailand receive 900,000 Chinese tourist every month.  We''re fucked.

Edited by SlipperyP

All change now, been instructed to vacate the premises until advised by the NHS that the results are clear. The high heid yins have got involved & they aren't taking any chances.

It may have been mentioned here before, I am not so sure.

If your employer asks incubation is not 3 days, nor 14 but 24. Best make 30 days self quarantine to be on the safe side!