Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

STV reporting 2 people in Scotland being tested for the coronavirus which is scaremongering at it's finest

"MILLIONS WILL DIE"

The words of John McKay on STV when bird flu hysteria was at its mentalest. 

13 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Putting two massive cities into lockdown seems quite drastic for a government attempting to play it down...

The government's main newspaper today still didn't have this as its prominent story. Journalists in China reporting that it's still a minor story on tv news in most of the country. We're now pushing 30 official deaths and close to 1,000 official cases, and as I mentioned previously, those are almost certainly low numbers. China's inaction here is criminal.

Local doctors have been quoted as saying that it's now too late to contain because they were told from above that it wasn't a big deal and no measures were put in place to deal with it. It has now almost certainly spread throughout China because people were not prevented from travelling or even discouraged from travelling, and we now have confirmed cases in multiple countries and examples of human-to-human infection.

Wuhan's airport has direct flights to Dubai, New York, London, Singapore, Seoul etc and the Chinese did nothing to stop people travelling around the world despite knowing what was going on. All to either cover their arse from their boss, protect their local economy or to avoid hitting a beamer. People are still flying around the world from other places in China as we speak and the virus has an incubation period of at least five days. This is grim.

I understand that lots of China-bashing goes on in the western media and that causes people to be naturally suspicious of criticism of China in our media. However, there is simply no question that China has made a complete arse of this, and it's not the first time they've done it. There is no reason to trust anything the Chinese government say about this. They have lied from the off, just like they did before.

China's warm-meat culture mixed with its rigid and corrupt government and flawed information-sharing processes is an international health risk. I don't know how many times this needs to happen before some people accept that.

This virus may or may not end up becoming a global emergency. But even if this one doesn't, this will happen again. Lots of things today are media scare-mongering, but an authoritarian country with a huge population, horrific food hygiene standards, and direct transport links to the rest of the planet is a risk to all of us.

Edited by JTS98

8 cities is lock down now

Eight cities in Hubei – Wuhan, Huanggang, Ezhou, Chibi, Xiantao, Qianjiang, Zhijiang and Lichuan – are now subject to travel bans, according to notices released by local governments.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

The government's main newspaper today still didn't have this as its prominent story. Journalists in China reporting that it's still a minor story on tv news in most of the country. We're now pushing 30 official deaths and close to 1,000 official cases, and as I mentioned previously, those are almost certainly low numbers. China's inaction here is criminal.

Local doctors have been quoted as saying that it's now too late to contain because they were told from above that it wasn't a big deal and no measures were put in place to deal with it. It has now almost certainly spread throughout China because people were not prevented from travelling or even discouraged from travelling, and we now have confirmed cases in multiple countries and examples of human-to-human infection.

Wuhan's airport has direct flights to Dubai, New York, London, Singapore, Seoul etc and the Chinese did nothing to stop people travelling around the world despite knowing what was going on. All to either cover their arse from their boss, protect their local economy or to avoid hitting a beamer. People are still flying around the world from other places in China as we speak and the virus has an incubation period of at least five days. This is grim.

I understand that lots of China-bashing goes on in the western media and that causes people to be naturally suspicious of criticism of China in our media. However, there is simply no question that China has made a complete arse of this, and it's not the first time they've done it. There is no reason to trust anything the Chinese government say about this. They have lied from the off, just like they did before.

China's warm-meat culture mixed with its rigid and corrupt government and flawed information-sharing processes is an international health risk. I don't know how many times this needs to happen before some people accept that.

This virus may or may not end up becoming a global emergency. But even if this one doesn't, this will happen again. Lots of things today are media scare-mongering, but an authoritarian country with a huge population, horrific food hygiene standards, and direct transport links to the rest of the planet is a risk to all of us.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

image.png.9b3e685a95f2ea1e4a24cd92b30fa109.png

Genuine question as you seem quite knowledgeable about it - what other measures should they have taken? 

And that cartoon is missing an apostrophe. 

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

20 million people now on lockdown, the Chinese are clearly at it with their figures.

From the BBC today.

"Wuhan - home to around 11 million people - is now rapidly building a new 1,000 bed hospital to deal with the increasing number of victims.

State owned news outlet Changjiang Daily said the hospital could be ready by 3 February. (building a hospital in 10 days!) A total of 35 diggers and 10 bulldozers are currently working on the site."

I think we can take all numbers from the Chinese authorities with a gigantic pinch of salt.

They are most likely trying to make it look like they have things under control.

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

I hope I get it, work is starting to do my nut in. 

I have got a very bad cold which started last night but am at work now so in the process of spreading it to a few hundred others, I am calling it the McPakevirus, might not kill you but makes you feel like shit.

20 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Genuine question as you seem quite knowledgeable about it - what other measures should they have taken? 

And that cartoon is missing an apostrophe. 

As soon as they knew what they were dealing with - which was weeks ago - they should have done what they are doing now.

There should also have been a public information campaign rather than a public disinformation campaign.

They should also have been open with the international community to allow other countries to start screening arrivals.

This is all too late. The genie is out the bottle and the virus is essentially global. China failed in its duty to its population and failed in its obligations to the international community. One of these times we won't get away with this.

Just need to wait and see what the infection rate is now.

As another poster mentioned above, this is just China trying to give the impression of being in control. They've completely lost the plot here.

Edited by JTS98

13 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

As soon as they knew what they were dealing with - which was weeks ago - they should have done what they are doing now.

There should also have been a public information campaign rather than a public disinformation campaign.

They should also have been open with the international community to allow other countries to start screening arrivals.

This is all too late. The genie is out the bottle and the virus is essentially global. China failed in its duty to its population and failed in its obligations to the international community. One of these times we won't get away with this.

Just need to wait and see what the infection rate is now.

As another poster mentioned above, this is just China trying to give the impression of being in control. They've completely lost the plot here.

When you say one of these times we won't get away with it, I'm guessing this disease isn't as scary as it's being reported then?'Killer Virus' etc. 

Genuinely wondering as you seem fairly clued up

15 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

I have got a very bad cold which started last night but am at work now so in the process of spreading it to a few hundred others, I am calling it the McPakevirus, might not kill you but makes you feel like shit.

I've already got the JackHamiltonvirus so I won't catch it. 

18 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

When you say one of these times we won't get away with it, I'm guessing this disease isn't as scary as it's being reported then?'Killer Virus' etc. 

Nobody knows that for now. We need to see how this plays out. It seems that so far the deaths are mainly old and sick people, but that might change.

My point is that even if this one isn't a global disaster, it doesn't mean that the next one won't be. The problem with these things is that every time we have an event that doesn't kill half the population of the world, like SARS or Ebola, people become more convinced that every outbreak is just media scaremongering. It's not. This is dangerous and China is a danger to us all.

14 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:
15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
People should read Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’.  Make no mistake this is exactly what’s going on here.

99% of the population dies........and loads of animals.

Aaawwwe, even wee puppies and kittens?

Think there is a lot more ‘genuine panic’ here in Asia, due to the larger cities, closer living proximities and eating culture and hygiene. Things are certainly getting serious. Its a holiday here right now for new year, but received two notifications this morning. One from my kids school to highlight the new screening methods and processes for when the the school goes back and one from my employer stating there will be temperature screening outside the building when we go back Tuesday and failure to go to the doctor or report feeling ill within the family could become disciplinary.

Currently only 3 confirmed cases (all Local Chinese from Wuhan here on holiday) in a city of just under 6m, but no stock of surgical masks and plenty of panic.

I think one of the reasons for the bigger panic is the timing. So close to New Year and the movement of people in China is unfathomable. Stations such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Zhengzhou will EACH handle 11-15m people in the next week, distributing them to all parts of China . Wuhan/Hubei is an industrial centre and thus a very large migrant workforce who would all be, or intending to travel home.

The likelihood hood of the virus being spread throughout China and beyond is very high. Whether it actually comes to anything is something different.

Guaranteed a few local government employees heads will be rolling in the new year.

1 hour ago, eindhovendee said:

From the BBC today.

"Wuhan - home to around 11 million people - is now rapidly building a new 1,000 bed hospital to deal with the increasing number of victims.

State owned news outlet Changjiang Daily said the hospital could be ready by 3 February. (building a hospital in 10 days!) A total of 35 diggers and 10 bulldozers are currently working on the site."

I think we can take all numbers from the Chinese authorities with a gigantic pinch of salt.

They are most likely trying to make it look like they have things under control.

I wish to f*** they were working on the A6 dualling contract...

Edited by Jacksgranda