Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

That reminded me that Tescos are getting a bit of flak right now for paying out dividends, around the same amount they were given by the government. Glad someone is doing well out of all this. <_<

They were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. There's also every chance that they'll be handing out a special dividend of around 50p per share by October, so long as the sale of their Thai business completes.

The major flaw in the Gov schemes is that the large supermarkets are able to get the business rates holiday which was really designed for those smaller retailers who were struggling and even forced to close and by the same token the Furlough scheme is being abused by huge multinationals and the Billionaire owners of football clubs etc.

In the Governments defence it was hasty and rushed through as a matter of necessity, however it still doesn't make it ethical, moral or right, but that's the world of business for you.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

It won't cover Coronavirus

With a 2 week incubation period you could argue you'd be home before showing symptoms anyway...

(Not a serious post before the end of the world posters waste more red dots.)

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Surely if classified as non essential they will simply be ordered to close again. In South Ayrshire trading standards officers are monitoring this very thing ensuring non essential business remains closed.

Seems a grey area, the work are claiming we are essential as we supply electrical equipment and we do have stuff in hospitals and ships. I would've thought reacting on an emergency basis to support essential things like hospitals and crucial cargo carrying ships would be all that was required but apparently churning out run of the mill electrical equipment for private businesses is just as important.

I might sling a wee message to my local MP though to see if he judges it as essential or not.

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Every single soundbite I have heard from any UK govt source has suggested the measures will continue, absolutely no talk of "exit strategy" other than in the media and from the public. June for this version of lockdown sounds about right but until we get there we will continue to be spoon fed it it 2-3 week portions. They can't be seen to be giving dates as that would just encourage the millions of roasters in this country to chuck it earlier.

The Gov certainly won't be saying anything about "opening up" in public, however the business lobby are in overdrive and this appears to be coordinated across the whole EU.

It will be gradual and I'm sure we're looking at a couple of months yet, but I'm equally sure that it'll be coming.

10 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

It's 8 months away, Wuhan the epicentre are out of lockdown after 3 months. I think there will be a antibody test by then, if you have had it you will be clear to travel. Thailand had already introduced a show proof that you don't have it(doctors certificte) and get insurance to cover you if you get it measures before they ended up  banning all international  flights.

I agree about travel opening up but there's bad news coming out from China about antibody tests, a study suggests they don't work if you've only had a minor episode of the virus, which also means you might not be immune unless you recover from the full blown hospitalised experience. 

19 minutes ago, greendot said:

More than likely, but 'i was hearing' on the news that the current lockdown would be extended in the same way that Wales is going to extend it so that the UK is kept uniform (nurses again!) on how they're approaching things.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52215421

As Jason Leitch is saying we're not at the peak yet and when the peak does reach (estimated) next week it will last for a few days / week minimum so i can see the lockdown being extended until the end of April to make sure the numbers continue to reduce after the peak.  I suspect that if people aren't careful in how they go about their daily life there could be a second spike when people think they are out of the woods just because the numbers are reducing (my opinion).

I think that's an absolute certainty.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Anyone get a letter today from the government?

Basically just telling you to stay home, seems odd.

You can't be very high priority, we both got ours last week...

Seems a grey area, the work are claiming we are essential as we supply electrical equipment and we do have stuff in hospitals and ships. I would've thought reacting on an emergency basis to support essential things like hospitals and crucial cargo carrying ships would be all that was required but apparently churning out run of the mill electrical equipment for private businesses is just as important.
I might sling a wee message to my local MP though to see if he judges it as essential or not.
My understanding (and bear in mind I'm just some gluepot off of the internet) is that your employer doesn't need to make any assertion about being "essential", because AFAIK no legislation has been passed ordering "non-essential" businesses to cease working. There's a list of businesses that are ordered to close but its pubs, restaurants, hotels, non-food shops and that.

This is all AFAIK, I'm not a lawyer or govt employee or anything like that, and I may have missed some additional legislation to the statutory instrument I'm getting this from:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/103/contents/made

Just now, resk said:

My understanding (and bear in mind I'm just some gluepot off of the internet) is that your employer doesn't need to make any assertion about being "essential", because AFAIK no legislation has been passed ordering "non-essential" businesses to cease working. There's a list of businesses that are ordered to close but its pubs, restaurants, hotels, non-food shops and that.

This is all AFAIK, I'm not a lawyer or govt employee or anything like that, and I may have missed some additional legislation to the statutory instrument I'm getting this from:

The guidance has been so lax that far too many jumped-up small business owners can claim their business is essential and keep it open.

Got the letter yesterday telling me how to behave in this crisis. Enjoyed the irony of a letter signed by some fat old Tory c**t who has wound up in hospital due to his stupidity and lack of personal care as I went about my workout in the sun in the back garden. 

4 minutes ago, resk said:

We were all given letters to carry with us as we were told the authorities could ask to see proof that we were "critical workers".