Coronavirus (COVID-19)

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Were I to hazard a guess which clickbaity shite I was referring to that Mrs B was quoting, probably the Daily Mail website. But the guy that was on channel 4 news lastnight seemed to speaking more than iv heard previously about the next phase, and the potential for the govt to be doing their sums based on % load on the NHS.

I am not saying I think we should be opening things back up by the end of April or mid May because I dont, what I will say is that with the people we have calling the shots, I don't believe we will be in the same conditions as we are now come the start of June, because I have seen enough wee bits and pieces to think (and maybe this is tin foil hat stuff) that they are beginning to change the narrative a wee bit. I think after whatever extension of the current lockdown as it exists now, 2 or 3 weeks, the end of that will bring some changes to what's allowed and it will go from there.

The people who got lettered yesterday, they are the ones who will be left under lockdown conditions for a long long time.

I agree, and I don't really see anything else as a realistic option. There's some talk that it may be phased by age (excluding anyone with known health issues), as the risk to younger people is very small and yet they are generally more badly affected by the lockdown. The Scottish death stats show how skewed the deaths are to the over 65s.

I'd say under 40s who don't live with older people could be going back to work, still with some degree of social distancing in place, by May. They might also look at primary schools starting before secondaries, as online work is more difficult for younger kids and the parents are also younger.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52214177

Edited by bendan

Hadn’t realised how few patients hospitalised in Scotland were in ICU, only about 10%.  I’m assuming that this is not due to a lack of ICU places as there is no suggestion of this. 
I’m not trying to downplay non-ICU hospitalisation but surely this isa good sign.  I would hope we would also start seeing the majority of these people achieve full recovery over the next few weeks.
71AC4354-4751-481D-99A7-9D5850284534.thumb.jpeg.b575ba6af850310ada28076a563768b7.jpeg

That surprises me too, I’m sure I heard / read somewhere that at present, Scotland has 410 ICU beds.

8 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Or maybe folk only get into ICU if they need it AND docs think they have a chance.

Or they don't send auld dears from care homes to ICU. 

6 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

That surprises me too, I’m sure I heard / read somewhere that at present, Scotland has 410 ICU beds.

I think normally we had less than 300, but the plan was to double it initially and then raise it to 700. There are some signs Scotland may peak a wee bit before the UK wide peak, but too early to say for sure.

How can you have different restrictions in different locations and prevent masses flocking to the locations where restrictions have been eased. Simply unworkable.

I said the football season will start in August. At this moment in time I don't see why that's outrageously unrealistic.
Everyone is still in the doom and gloom stage as deaths haven't quite peaked yet. They will soon. Then they will start to fall and we can have a realistic plan to ease restrictions gradually, without the emotion of "omg this will never end"
We'll also have data from other european nations about the impact of relaxing restrictions there to see if there are any learns.
I said previously there should be no need to treat the UK as one in 5 or 6 weeks. If Scotland, for example, has turned the corner and is nearing single digit new cases / deaths by then it makes no sense to keep everyone here cooped up because London, for example is still getting pounded.
The problem is everyone wants answers to everything *now*. We know the likely pattern of new cases / deaths from what's happened elsewhere. Expect that here.
All we know for sure is nothing is going to change this month.
Sit back, have a coffee, watch tv and just wait and see what the lie of the land looks like in a month.

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I’m sure a good few of the care home auld yins will have DNR on their medical records too. 

Read somewhere that a few people had that added to their records without consultation

46 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Were I to hazard a guess which clickbaity shite I was referring to that Mrs B was quoting, probably the Daily Mail website. But the guy that was on channel 4 news lastnight seemed to speaking more than iv heard previously about the next phase, and the potential for the govt to be doing their sums based on % load on the NHS.

I am not saying I think we should be opening things back up by the end of April or mid May because I dont, what I will say is that with the people we have calling the shots, I don't believe we will be in the same conditions as we are now come the start of June, because I have seen enough wee bits and pieces to think (and maybe this is tin foil hat stuff) that they are beginning to change the narrative a wee bit. I think after whatever extension of the current lockdown as it exists now, 2 or 3 weeks, the end of that will bring some changes to what's allowed and it will go from there.

The people who got lettered yesterday, they are the ones who will be left under lockdown conditions for a long long time.

They most definitely ARE changing the narrative.

I follow lots of foreign news channels and it seems a coordinated effort within the EU countries (including ourselves) that they're looking to start easing restrictions and gradually return to a semblance of normality.

Obviously economic pressure is the main driver and they will also need to take a "suck it and see" approach regarding the virus spread, but I stick by my previous post on the subject with June being a potential date for "reopening" as it were.

7 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Seems we’re the only two on here who don’t think “omg nothing will be the same until 2021, no football matches, no gigs, no pubs until then!”

No, there's at least four of us !!

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

When you say “in lockdown until at least the start of June” I assume you mean all non-essential businesses being closed until then.  If you do I think you’re wrong.

Funnily enough, one of the news headline stories this morning is the passport office workers being told to return to work, and they're not overly happy about it !

(Its not that bad, I'm on my way in to Glasgow right now).

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

How can you have different restrictions in different locations and prevent masses flocking to the locations where restrictions have been eased. Simply unworkable.

I don't know how feasible it would be, but it's a possibility that should at least be explored should such a scenario play out.

10 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Not convinced it was the guardian I saw it on. Maybe the macmillan incurable cancer forum. Unsure 

The Guardian article suggests they were persuaded to agree to DNR rather than not consulted whatsoever, still horrendous though. Some of them probably thought they were being offered cake.

P.S. Had a look at that forum, too many ((((((HUGS)))))) for me.. ^_^

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Not convinced it was the guardian I saw it on. Maybe the macmillan incurable cancer forum. Unsure 

That's not the point. I've read other sources similar from other sources too but like yourself can't remember which specific ones.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

This is an interesting take from the Home Office....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219930

"80% of people will get this, we cant hide away forever"

So get your lazy arses back to work.....

I seen some Golf spokesman is demanding golf courses are reopened yesterday. I never read the story just the headline. Couldn't risk reading more of that Poz boys shite.