Coronavirus (COVID-19)

What’s to say this isn’t possible - people were in Wuhan late Nov/early Dec, had symptoms of this “new flu type”, flew over to the UK (or back to the UK) and thus started the spread here in Jan

Not impossible, but highly, unlikely (implausible). Again there is enough concrete evidence.

The cases in November are considered very close to patient zero. Meaning, very few. With all due to respect, the people diagnosed then would be highly unlikely to travel beyond their neighbourhood never mind fly anywhere. Even with that, timing would not be conducive for a great deal of locals to be traveling and the spread only really escalated in January in the run up to New Year (which in some ways aided China to isolate things, but helped spread things wildly outside China).

The slow initial spread (circa: 40 days) would suggest that it was confined to a small area at first. It only started to spreading rapidly at the end of December in Wuhan (not the rest of China).

Singapore started screening all inbound flights from Wuhan at the start of January and had very few cases. As the only country to do so, its the only measure available, but as it is a prominent location for mainland Chinese to travel to, could be considered consistent that the spread outside China never really kicked in until mid to late January.

On a lighter note, Lori Lightfoot, mayor of Chicago has been airing some nice PSA-type ads about staying home that are showing a sense of humour whilst still getting the message out.

Also been some good memes of her out there, I’m sure if you’re interested you can find them.

6 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Thanks, mate. At this stage, I go between thinking I've definitely got it and not being too sure. Were there moments when the early symptoms seemed to come and go, or was it pretty consistent for you? My temperature and lethargy disappeared yesterday (Day 2) during the day, before returning at night. They remained with me for much of today and now seem to have disappeared once again.

I was pretty much the same for the first few days with it coming and going,days 4,5 and 6 being more consistent .Even now (3 weeks after symptoms began) I’ve a lack of energy,feel much better though.

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Sanders has dropped out the race. Coronavirus crashing the economy and making millions unemployed did his job for him.

Yeah I’m glad he’s out.  The last thing the US needs at the moment is someone who advocates universal healthcare ahead of profiteering from disease.

No, wait...

7 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I had someone earlier (who isn't a UK citizen) tell me that the lockdown only technically applies to British citizens and there's actually a loophole where it doesn't technically apply to foreigners.  I thought that sounded like nonsense, but surely that's not true.

9BE029CD-D715-4A3F-99C1-0EFE6A9F80DC.jpeg

Where's this "talk"? Most of the reports I've seen on the news are just assuming that the lockdown will be continued, despite the "three week review". The only people who seem to think it'll be lifted any time soon are the Facebook Ma and Facebook Da who assumed that the government's three week review meant an actual three week lockdown.
We'll be in lockdown until at least the start of June. When it is lifted, it'll be very slow and methodical. Pubs and restaurants are not going to be open by the middle of June. And people can forget about holidays given the well documented spread of imported cases in places like China and Singapore. Social distancing is still going to be in place even when the lockdown is slowly lifted.
I could be wrong, but I probably won't be. Buckle the f**k up and settle down for many more weeks and months of this; there might be brief moments when restrictions are lifted but they'll be temporary. 

Were I to hazard a guess which clickbaity shite I was referring to that Mrs B was quoting, probably the Daily Mail website. But the guy that was on channel 4 news lastnight seemed to speaking more than iv heard previously about the next phase, and the potential for the govt to be doing their sums based on % load on the NHS.

I am not saying I think we should be opening things back up by the end of April or mid May because I dont, what I will say is that with the people we have calling the shots, I don't believe we will be in the same conditions as we are now come the start of June, because I have seen enough wee bits and pieces to think (and maybe this is tin foil hat stuff) that they are beginning to change the narrative a wee bit. I think after whatever extension of the current lockdown as it exists now, 2 or 3 weeks, the end of that will bring some changes to what's allowed and it will go from there.

The people who got lettered yesterday, they are the ones who will be left under lockdown conditions for a long long time.

4 hours ago, madwullie said:

It's so contagious that if it started spreading here then then people would have  been dropping like flies, the NHS would have been overwhelmed, etc etc. Essentially, about 6 weeks ago would have looked like what it looks like now. 

That all depends on how serious it is for the average victim. If the vast majority don't experience many problems, it could spread initially for a few weeks before any kind of increase in pressure on the NHS would be noticed. We are also likely to have a lower transmission rate than Wuhan in the phase where neither place was doing any mitigation, as we have lower population density and generally don't have multi-generational living arrangements. Some Italian research has placed their first case back to very early January, and even in the UK there are deaths from February ascribed to it now, even though the first announced death was March 5. But that scenario would mean a very large chunk of the population had been exposed to it by now. There are epidemiologists who think this is what is happening (like some at Stanford in the US, and at Oxford in the UK), others disagree. We're only going to find out through serological testing.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/six-coronavirus-patients-died-uk-18037439

Hadn’t realised how few patients hospitalised in Scotland were in ICU, only about 10%.  I’m assuming that this is not due to a lack of ICU places as there is no suggestion of this. 

I’m not trying to downplay non-ICU hospitalisation but surely this isa good sign.  I would hope we would also start seeing the majority of these people achieve full recovery over the next few weeks.

71AC4354-4751-481D-99A7-9D5850284534.thumb.jpeg.b575ba6af850310ada28076a563768b7.jpeg

3 minutes ago, stanton said:

Lovely guy 

Man faces trial for coughing at shop workers in Covid-19 scare https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-52219301 

I’ve seen a few similar stories.  I imagine a number of people doing this and similar things are people with mental health and/or dependency issues.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Hadn’t realised how few patients hospitalised in Scotland were in ICU, only about 10%.  I’m assuming that this is not due to a lack of ICU places as there is no suggestion of this. 

I’m not trying to downplay non-ICU hospitalisation but surely this isa good sign.  I would hope we would also start seeing the majority of these people achieve full recovery over the next few weeks.

71AC4354-4751-481D-99A7-9D5850284534.thumb.jpeg.b575ba6af850310ada28076a563768b7.jpeg

Or maybe folk only get into ICU if they need it AND docs think they have a chance.