Coronavirus (COVID-19)

34 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

You would have thought so. Instead he was fishing to get them to disagree with the CMO.

I don’t think he was really. Whitty yesterday WAS talking about testing being a key reason. I think the question in that regard was quite good in that he’s trying to find out why we seem determined not to test enough people. 

6 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Government seems to be determined to  try to kick the testing issue into the long grass.

Hancock setting a target for the end of April. Presumably hoping that infection and death rates would have greatly improved by then,

so he'll be able to brush past the testing thing.

Yesterday, at the daily No 10 briefing, Whitty ( Chief Medical Officer )  stood there and said...

that Germany got ahead in terms of coronavirus testing, and that the UK must learn from the German response to Covid-19.

This was about the last thing the politicians want to hear, and I wondered if Mr Whitty would be seen again soon.

Sure enough, at today's briefing Whitty was missing, and another medical person  was up there.  He tried to discount what Whitty said

yesterday.... blah, blah.., oh, testing is just one of many factors.  

Looks like Whitty, the medical guy,  uttered the first honest thing I've heard in a while from the revolving talking heads at these briefings.

Germany had the advantage of taking the threat seriously earlier in terms of sourcing supplies, and having a much bigger pharmaceutical and chemical industry with loads of places they can adapt for testing. I don't doubt the willingness of the UK to match Germany in testing, it's just that they missed the boat in terms of securing supplies and to build up the labs etc from scratch isn't easy. Not sure how useful it is at this stage to say if only we do the same as Germany, but we'll definitely be at a disadvantage coming out of the peak, and assessing who's good for going back to work.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany/germany-draws-up-plans-to-end-lockdown-after-april-19-idUSKBN21O17F

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Germany had the advantage of taking the threat seriously earlier in terms of sourcing supplies, and having a much bigger pharmaceutical and chemical industry with loads of places they can adapt for testing. I don't doubt the willingness of the UK to match Germany in testing, it's just that they missed the boat in terms of securing supplies and to build up the labs etc from scratch isn't easy. Not sure how useful it is at this stage to say if only we do the same as Germany, but we'll definitely be at a disadvantage coming out of the peak, and assessing who's good for going back to work.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany/germany-draws-up-plans-to-end-lockdown-after-april-19-idUSKBN21O17F

Translation.

Germany took the threat seriously.

Just now, Stinky Bone said:

The message is clear, it is on the front of their pedestals at the 5 pm briefing.  It is very clear.

Stay at home, Protect the NHS, Save lives. 

^^^ dropped out of primary school in P4

Mrs B, admittedly via whatever shitty clickbait news sources is currently telling len that small business will be open by the end of April and pubs by the end of May.

Entering a dangerous time for the integrity of the lockdown as folks expectations start to change IMO.

I felt when I had kids out for a walk today there was a bit of a shift in activity levels. Say my first obvious group of folk not giving a f**k, lots more dog walkers etc. Could just be decent weather, but I think this might start to come apart at the seams soon.

55 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Wait for the sweating at night, that's the highlight. Pools of sweat and wet towels in the morning. 

Just normal for me😎

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Mrs B, admittedly via whatever shitty clickbait news sources is currently telling len that small business will be open by the end of April and pubs by the end of May.

Entering a dangerous time for the integrity of the lockdown as folks expectations start to change IMO.

I felt when I had kids out for a walk today there was a bit of a shift in activity levels. Say my first obvious group of folk not giving a f**k, lots more dog walkers etc. Could just be decent weather, but I think this might start to come apart at the seams soon.

A couple of nights in a cell will bring them to their senses. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Maybe. How many cells would you need though if it did start to loosen off?

Just handcuff them to a bed in the Louisa Jordan till the beds are required.

35 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Translation.

Germany took the threat seriously.

And the Government aren't going to say they fucked up badly when they're trying to convince people to trust their social isolation instructions. Plenty time for recriminations after.

Edited by welshbairn

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
26 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Maybe. How many cells would you need though if it did start to loosen off?

How many arses could you ram in each cell? 

Edited by ayrmad