Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, ayrmad said:

Yep, it's a big deal but someone is dying in the UK every few minutes because of numerous decisions him and his cronies did or didn't take. 

I notice that the issue of “why is Germany able to do significantly more testing than us” and “why is Germany controlling this better than us” is being raised by journalists but not being answered.

Both the Mayor of London and the Health Secretary have made it clear this morning restrictions will not be relaxed next week it's how they word the extension that will be key. Khan now saying the latest info he has is no peak expected for another 7-10 days despite earlier suggestions it may come over Easter. It's all part of the can kicking tactic to spoon feed the lockdown to make it psychologically more palatable.

The businesses I know, including my own, had anticipated reopening on Monday 13 April.
I don’t think that should happen but clear guidance is needed, and not at 8.30 on a Monday evening.

1 hour ago, renton said:

So your all for being welded shut into your abode by the British Army then? 

Well, we could try it with him first and take it from there.

1 minute ago, The DA said:

Did that 74 not include catch-up figures too?

It'll be interesting to see if the NRS update their daily figures in arrears.

Yes I think so, got an effin phone call just as she was speaking but she said something along the lines of that I think, someone else will clarify I'm sure

44 minutes ago, virginton said:

If you were going to contain something and force people to stay indoors then you should have done it at the proper time with all force available, yes. I also favoured China’s truncheons to the face lockdown policy at the time when the media was whining about the people of Wuhan’s precious feelings and welt marks: a no fucks given policy that has proven to be a highly successful in the medium never mind long term.

On 23/03/2020 at 11:18, virginton said:

No, the most sensible thing is to take regular outdoor exercise while following strict social distancing measures at all times. And then washing your hands as soon as you get in the door. Only those who can't follow those rules gets a truncheon in the face.

People seem to be massively underestimating the serious mental and physical strains that twelve weeks or more of shutting yourself between four walls would have on anyone in the general population.

The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. VT was in favour of a Chinese-style lockdown. VT had always been in favour of a Chinese-style lockdown.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

4 minutes ago, The DA said:

It includes non hospital, community cases from nursing homes.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Both the Mayor of London and the Health Secretary have made it clear this morning restrictions will not be relaxed next week it's how they word the extension that will be key. Khan now saying the latest info he has is no peak expected for another 7-10 days despite earlier suggestions it may come over Easter. It's all part of the can kicking tactic to spoon feed the lockdown to make it psychologically more palatable.

Its exactly what the Irish are doing and I'd expect the UK to follow.  They actually announced tougher restrictions last night and more powers to the Police. Havnt announced a lockdown extension but its expected today or tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

That was yesterday, today’s figure is 70.

Yeah, yesterday had the weekend catch up from the weekend, today includes community cases from nursing homes. 

Average over 4 days and I think the hospital deaths is running at 26/day...

7 minutes ago, The DA said:

Interestingly we're now starting to record an upsurge in figures, however by most accounts the Hospitals have been rather quiet over the past few weeks, as such I'd like to know how many deaths were actually recorded during February and start of March when the wards were much busier but COVID-19 was not something which we were testing.

My insinuation being that this has most probably been hitting us in clusters since February.

3 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It would be a terrible wee shame if the Sun were to fold.

I doubt it though, their business model of tits and racism will bounce back.

They'll be fine. Murdoch will be happy to let them run at a massive loss like he does a few of his other agenda-setting publications.

21 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

🤷‍♂️

Someone hasn't watched the first 20 minutes of 28 Days Later

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I agree it’s can kicking but I don’t think it will make it more palatable.  There has been a justified criticism of the lack of clarity and direction.  If there’s going to be an extension to the lockdown is should be announced today or tomorrow.  I’d be happy with an extension to all non-essential businesses and maybe restrictions as to what can be ordered on-line.

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Assume this article has been shared, run through of the response to the growing crisis from high level politicians and scientists.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21P1VF?__twitter_impression=true

An arrogant sense of superiority and a fondness for understatement is what sets Britain apart from the rest of the world.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

The theory is sound, the implementation is less so.   

How do you resolve the issue of tax havens?  To say they can no longer exist isn't going to wash.  We already know a percentage of rich will go live somewhere else under the current less strict tax regimen - how many more under a much stricter one?

Tax havens could be  dealt with really quite effectively under the current regime without their consent. The UK, US and Netherlands (in particular) tax codes have some fairly slack loopholes to sabotage the effectiveness of their own regimes that are supposed to combat havens.