Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The theory is sound, the implementation is less so.   

How do you resolve the issue of tax havens?  To say they can no longer exist isn't going to wash.  We already know a percentage of rich will go live somewhere else under the current less strict tax regimen - how many more under a much stricter one?

If they're not paying tax, would we miss them all that much?

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Presumably if it's the army it'd be more a rifle butt to the teeth, but regardless you were well up for that during the window where it was an option?

If you were going to contain something and force people to stay indoors then you should have done it at the proper time with all force available, yes. I also favoured China’s truncheons to the face lockdown policy at the time when the media was whining about the people of Wuhan’s precious feelings and welt marks: a no fucks given policy that has proven to be a highly successful in the medium never mind long term.

The lockstep support of the same journalists and commentators for the UK government’s decision to rip up just about every civil liberty - while still failing to actually contain the virus through any of its piss-poor measures - has been truly laughable.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
21 minutes ago, Detournement said:
Why?
The Chinese had a system of block captains where a party official was responsible for a street or apartment building. So anyone who needed anything had a direct contact. 

Block captains always report problems - aye right.

I lived and worked in Beijing for a year going back a while now, but I lived in an apartment block where a "block captain" took a particular disliking to me, everytime the little c**t saw me he requested my Papers.. and you complied...

I lived and worked in Beijing for a year going back a while now, but I lived in an apartment block where a "block captain" took a particular disliking to me, everytime the little c**t saw me he requested my Papers.. and you complied...

They also have a reputation for covering their own arses if something goes wrong.  

In some ways no different from lower to middle managers in the West who hide the facts from senior bosses.

As someone who lived in China for a short spell I have absolutely no doubt they are telling porkies in regards cases, deaths etc....but I also have no doubt if any country was to beat this virus with absolute control of their population it's the Chinese..

I have friends still living there and they didnt even know about this virus till it hit Europe

As someone who lived in China for a short spell I have absolutely no doubt they are telling porkies in regards cases, deaths etc....but I also have no doubt if any country was to beat this virus with absolute control of their population it's the Chinese..

I have friends still living there and they didnt even know about this virus till it hit Europe

I'd agree with this - once it was all out in the open they would better placed than most countries to control population movement.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They also have a reputation for covering their own arses if something goes wrong.  

In some ways no different from lower to middle managers in the West who hide the facts from senior bosses.

I don't think they were responsible for collecting stats. It's more policing the lockdown, making sure that everyone has shopping and that the sick are treated properly. 

16 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

The People's Republic of Inverclyde welcomes careful drivers

The People’s Republic liquidates car drivers as bourgeois running dogs along with the landlord class. Use the republic’s extensive and free train network instead.

5E83E3CB-4F4E-4FC3-8922-9B2FDABECC3C.jpeg.aaa013da8fe4bb72c925d4777d6c30eb.jpeg

I don't think they were responsible for collecting stats. It's more policing the lockdown, making sure that everyone has shopping and that the sick are treated properly. 

I meant the initial outbreak being reported - surely stats wouldn't be available prior to that point?

1 hour ago, Fratelli said:

Regardless of how much of a c**t he is, the Prime Minister being in intensive care during a pandemic is quite a big news story. Don't understand why folk are surprised at the coverage it's getting. 

Because they're c****, too.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Because they're c****, too.

Yep, it's a big deal but someone is dying in the UK every few minutes because of numerous decisions him and his cronies did or didn't take. 

That's the point. The current set-up just takes money out of the system and away from everyone else.
Those poor people on Indian streets with nothing to eat aren't going anywhere. The money generated by the Indian economy simply leaves the economy and is hoarded by a tiny number of people. That makes progress on a large scale essentially impossible.
It's not as simple as taking a billion dollars and dividing it by the number of people in the country. It's about providing the social infrastructure required to promote growth, provide necessities, and encourage opportunity.
Some startling figures here. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/07/india-mega-rich-are-on-rise-inequality/
Highlights being 73% of wealth generated in India in 2017 went to 1% of the population.
10% of the population holds 77% of India's wealth.
63m Indians are pushed into poverty because of healthcare costs every year.

The Caste system still exists and that will stop any possibility of any equality. Absolutely no one in India cares about the lowest caste.