Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, HooseLee said:

She blocked me about 18 months ago for calling her a hypocrite.   She's pals with that boot Karen koren who ripped Edinburgh off for £200.000 and kept asking her about it in various ways...  o miss taking the piss out of her.  Is she still posting pics of menus from restaurants that she is going in the hope of getting a scran for free.   I wonder how many twats have bought those trump is a c**t postcards that's shes trying to get rich from.  What is getting roasted for?  Please start my day with some excellent news.  She cost me my Twitter account.   No point in having one of I can't take the piss out of her and her 'very funny' daughter.   Mon mate  details of her roasting...

She is awful but fucking hell 

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

We're hearing a lot just now about concerns over what will happen in India as their health infrastructure is in no way suited to coping with this. Yet there are plenty of Indians with Craig Whyte-style off-the-radar wealth. That imbalance and resultant lack of investment in healthcare for a country of a billion people is going to cost lots of lives. Actual people's lives.

The thing that people don't get about India is the huge population. People say why the f**k are we funding charity projects in a 2.5 trillion dollar economy with loads of billionaires. If the money were shared equally it would still only equate to a GDP per capita of $5 a day.

25 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't understand when people say that. It makes a smaller number of sick people seem more important than a larger number of sick people.

How does it make them seem more important? Even if you publish the per capita rate for San Marino, no one's going to think it's more important than what's happening in the USA. I'd say giving both figures is best.

Edited by bendan

19 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't understand when people say that. It makes a smaller number of sick people seem more important than a larger number of sick people.

As always, it depends on what the purpose of the stats is.  If it's to identify magnitude then a per capita number is useful. 

20 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Fair point.  I suppose it gives an idea of how well a country's approach is working. 

Also, it's not perfect (Germany has 3 times the UK's ICU capacity) but a per capita ratio gives an idea of how likely the country's ICUs are likely to cope.

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It could be wrong but it makes grim reading.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

These figures are fantasy land stuff.

What good comes from publishing fear mongering stats like these? The authors are never taken to task for the panic they cause when they get nowhere near. It leads to hysterical comments like 'no football until a vaccine' and 'no holidays for years.'

It looks likely that we will end this thing with similar numbers of deaths as France, Italy and Spain. That's obviously not great but it's insane to say we will be worse off than all three combined come mid May (they say August, but all their graphs level out by mid may).

Look at the state of the margin of error on the UK graph - peak deaths are projected to be anywhere between ~950 (likely) and 9k per day (not a chance). If your margin of error is that big less than 2 weeks away from the projected peak, maybe you shouldn't publish your guesswork.

There are people out there who will blindly believe stats like these and will genuinely live in absolute fear when they read them. That's irresponsible and absolutely not ok.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Guest JTS98
12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The thing that people don't get about India is the huge population. People say why the f**k are we funding charity projects in a 2.5 trillion dollar economy with loads of billionaires. If the money were shared equally it would still only equate to a GDP per capita of $5 a day.

Of course there's no easy fix.

But we know that the wealth of a population is linked to birth rates, and a more even distribution of wealth would slow the runaway train of population growth and make it easier in the long-term for India to get to grips with its social problems.

This would be the first of loads of steps needed to face problems like the need for improved infrastructure, education spending, child poverty, malnutrition, corruption in public institutions, the impact of the caste system, and lots more.

But this would be easier done with more of the money generated in and by India being available for the good of the population at large instead of it being hoarded by a tiny group of people at the top.

An event like this highlights that those hoarding the wealth are in a way placing themselves at greater risk. By removing the possibility of actually looking after the masses, they are making the spread of this virus more likely, and therefore making it more likely that they themselves will catch it and die of it. Everybody would be better off if everybody was better off.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

Of course there's no easy fix.

But we know that the wealth of a population is linked to birth rates, and a more even distribution of wealth would slow the runaway train of population growth and make it easier in the long-term for India to get to grips with its social problems.

This would be the first of loads of steps needed to face problems like the need for improved infrastructure, education spending, child poverty, malnutrition, corruption in public institutions, the impact of the caste system, and lots more.

But this would be easier done with more of the money generated in and by India being available for the good of the population at large instead of it being hoarded by a tiny group of people at the top.

An event like this highlights that those hoarding the wealth are in a way placing themselves at greater risk. By removing the possibility of actually looking after the masses, they are making the spread of this virus more likely, and therefore making it more likely that they themselves will catch it and die of it. Everybody would be better off if everybody was better off.

My point is that that applies to nearly every country, India no more so than many others but it's always picked on as the most outrageous. People say why do they have billion dollar space programmes when they don't even have safe drinking water. A billion dollars comes to 72 cents per head, per annum, and satellites can help grow their economy to potentially provide better water. 

Guest JTS98
7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

My point is that that applies to nearly every country, India no more so than many others but it's always picked on as the most outrageous. People say why do they have billion dollar space programmes when they don't even have safe drinking water. A billion dollars comes to 72 cents per head, per annum, and satellites can help grow their economy to potentially provide better water. 

I agree.

I think India gets 'picked on' because of the sheer numbers involved and the starkness of the inequality.

It's true that the space programme will bring benefits to India, but will the overall outcomes be better or worse than the long-term economic and social effects of having a well-fed, well-educated society developing businesses, creating jobs, establishing a huge tax base and being looked after by a functioning healthcare system?

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I see journalists people who write for The Sun are imploring people to buy a paper because their income has been cratered and it's made a £68million loss.

Tempting to spread a malicious rumour that the print the Sun uses is the worst for spreading Covid19.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

I agree.

I think India gets 'picked on' because of the sheer numbers involved and the starkness of the inequality.

It's true that the space programme will bring benefits to India, but will the overall outcomes be better or worse than the long-term economic and social effects of having a well-fed, well-educated society developing businesses, creating jobs, establishing a huge tax base and being looked after by a functioning healthcare system?

Not sure if you can fund all that on $5 a day, hopefully they'll build towards it though.