Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Alternatively, billionaires shouldn't exist and this money should already be available to society as a whole.

The fact that we're relying on billionaires dishing out charity and discussing wage cuts for high earners tells you that the system of distribution of money in our society is completely wrong and stops us looking after ourselves.

Allowing people to hoard money is like toilet roll hoarding except much more dangerous. Society needs that money, as we are seeing now.

We're hearing a lot just now about concerns over what will happen in India as their health infrastructure is in no way suited to coping with this. Yet there are plenty of Indians with Craig Whyte-style off-the-radar wealth. That imbalance and resultant lack of investment in healthcare for a country of a billion people is going to cost lots of lives. Actual people's lives.

And we've not even touched on sub-Saharan Africa.

This becomes the rich world's problem when the rich world contains the virus and the poor world sends it back to us because they don't have the resources to contain it.

Your toilet roll hoarding analogy is perfect.  Your average punter rightly slated over that but hoarding all that money is fine.  Very good post  

5 minutes ago, Steven W said:

So the upshot in all of this is, either you'll die in the near future from it. Or if you survive you'll most probably be unemployed and lose your house.

Can't see football, gigs, pubs, restaurants on the go until a vaccine arrives, which is probably a couple of years away.

Tough times.

Well, no. 

We'll stay in lockdown for as long as it takes to get the death/case rate down to single digits. Probably you'll start to see relaxation on a number of measures at that point. Say by the end of June on current modelling, though I doubt the likes of the football will be back on by then.

The presumption is that the existence of the anti body test will allow those with some form of immunity to get back into work sooner. We'll soon see in China if we can expect a second peak or not. If there is, I imagine there will be far more focus on contact tracing and mass testing to try and suppress the curve earlier.

My guess is that why the end of the summer we wont be back to normal, but we'll at least not all be cooped up in our houses.

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Alternatively, billionaires shouldn't exist and this money should already be available to society as a whole.

The fact that we're relying on billionaires dishing out charity and discussing wage cuts for high earners tells you that the system of distribution of money in our society is completely wrong and stops us looking after ourselves.

Allowing people to hoard money is like toilet roll hoarding except much more dangerous. Society needs that money, as we are seeing now.

We're hearing a lot just now about concerns over what will happen in India as their health infrastructure is in no way suited to coping with this. Yet there are plenty of Indians with Craig Whyte-style off-the-radar wealth. That imbalance and resultant lack of investment in healthcare for a country of a billion people is going to cost lots of lives. Actual people's lives.

And we've not even touched on sub-Saharan Africa.

This becomes the rich world's problem when the rich world contains the virus and the poor world sends it back to us because they don't have the resources to contain it.

Ah communism, it's lovely isn't it. Post just sticks of jealousy TBH

38 minutes ago, The DA said:

UK daily deaths seem to be leveling off a bit.  Admittedly only over the last 4 or 5 days but, if we follow Italy's curve, this graph suggests it might not be as bad as some are making out.

Capture.PNG

Remember all those roasters a week or so ago saying the UK wasn't on the Italy curve and saying we were "a South Korea"? 

I believe RandomGuy was one of those just after his HIV infused built in a lab phase.

25 minutes ago, Steven W said:

So the upshot in all of this is, either you'll die in the near future from it. Or if you survive you'll most probably be unemployed and lose your house.

Can't see football, gigs, pubs, restaurants on the go until a vaccine arrives, which is probably a couple of years away.

Tough times.

I might print this out and put it on the ceiling above my bed so I see it first thing every morning when I open my eyes just to set me up for the day ahead. 

18 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Tough times.

They'll be a vaccaine or drugs to reduce the severity of covid  available within 6 months there are a number of different drugs getting tried on humans all over the globe including the Uk 

https://pharmaphorum.com/news/gilead-begins-uk-trials-of-covid-19-drug-remdesivir/

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-northern-ireland-patients-being-18055068

The two leading drugs on trail are Trumps baby hydroxychloroquine and remdesivir.

They'll be a vaccaine or drugs to reduce the severity of covid  available within 6 months there are a number of different drugs getting tried on humans all over the globe including the Uk 
https://pharmaphorum.com/news/gilead-begins-uk-trials-of-covid-19-drug-remdesivir/
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-northern-ireland-patients-being-18055068

The two leading drugs on trail are Trumps baby hydroxychloroquine and remdesivir.
An insane amount of money and work, probably unprecedented on both counts, will be going into mitigating this. That's why I dont understand the "we'll never recover from this" crew. Mrs B even parrotted something similar the other day.

Never recovering from it is a ridiculous stance.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Remember all those roasters a week or so ago saying the UK wasn't on the Italy curve and saying we were "a South Korea"? 

I believe RandomGuy was one of those just after his HIV infused built in a lab phase.

You said we were following Italy exactly.

I said at no point were we plotting exactly the same as Italy on these graphs.

You're having a really bizarre breakdown in this thread, and it's been a long time coming.

You're having a really bizarre breakdown in this thread, and it's been a long time coming.
That's some poor use of bandwidth by Marshy in the quoted post. I know he is keen on analysing bandwidth use, and that is particularly wasteful IMO.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You still acted disgracefully.

5 minutes ago, Hymlick Manouvre said:

Ah communism, it's lovely isn't it. Post just sticks of jealousy TBH

Absolutely correct, the only two ways of organising society are uber capitalist (low tax on capital high tax on labour with regressive income and sales taxes + ip monopolies + very  limited social security) or communism. 

1 hour ago, HooseLee said:

She blocked me about 18 months ago for calling her a hypocrite.   She's pals with that boot Karen koren who ripped Edinburgh off for £200.000 and kept asking her about it in various ways...  o miss taking the piss out of her.  Is she still posting pics of menus from restaurants that she is going in the hope of getting a scran for free.   I wonder how many twats have bought those trump is a c**t postcards that's shes trying to get rich from.  What is getting roasted for?  Please start my day with some excellent news.  She cost me my Twitter account.   No point in having one of I can't take the piss out of her and her 'very funny' daughter.   Mon mate  details of her roasting...

I'm breathless just reading that. 

Tough times.

The country and economy will be forced into relative normality long before any vaccine comes our way IMO. At some point we’ll value our wealth, homes and way of life before the deaths the virus brings and, even, the possibility of overwhelming the NHS. Subject to safe-distancing I predict some of us will be back working in June, schools back after the summer holidays (at the latest), all shops open by July. Pubs might be one of the last businesses to reopen.