Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Yeah. It'd be interesting to see what affect London alone has on those figures. I suspect a massive one.

Still think Italy'll take the title myself.

It will come down to the numbers in the community IMO. 

We're still not acting like we're in lockdown in certain areas. 

44 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Absolutely. 

Scotland's numbers surely per population are one of the worst in the world? Nearly 300 dead compared to Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Slovakia.

Not as bad as it might be  See https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries and https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Scotland's death rate is 41 per million.   The worldwide ratio is 10.5 pm (we're worse than average) but UK-wide is 81 pm, England is 87 pm, Italy is 263, Spain is 298, France is 158.  Even Germany, one of the paragons, is still 24 pm - not a kick in the arse away from out figures.  Ireland's 43 pm btw.

12 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1247335425074696199?s=21 

The greatest country in the world.

Just when you think there can’t be anything more corrupt.  Trump facilitating private businesses to profiteer from this disaster.

8 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

74 Scottish deaths announced today because of the tinpot  “we don’t work the weekend” way of reporting them 

I hope France is using a similar method.

France suffers world’s highest daily coronavirus death toll of 1,417 

It's The Sensationalist Sun wot sez it.

Apparently includes a few days previously uncounted care home deaths and the 'real' daily total is similar to yesterday's.

On 07/04/2020 at 17:56, beefybake said:

Nearly all the big supermarkets seem to be saying something  like... supplies are normal, no need for major rationing, there's enough for everyone etc..

I've been trying to buy packets ( or more exactly, one packet.. ) of antt-bacterial wipes. All I see are empty shelves. Inquiries to staff bring... don't knows when

they'll have more..., they'll be in when they're in........ 

Is this just me, or my locality.. ?

I realise this is irrelevant to folk living in the UK but FYI, in the household supplies section of French supermarkets, you can get  litre bottles of 90% alcohol .

( Plus hydrochloric acid, ammonia  acetone and petrol, amongst other things. ) 

eta          misremembered what's in my garage.   

Edited by cyderspaceman

3 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I realise this is irrelevant to folk living in the UK but FYI, in the household supplies section of French supermarkets, you can get  litre bottles of 90% alcohol .

( Plus hydrochloric acid, ammonia and petrol, amongst other things. ) 

What would you recommend as a mixer?

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

See all this fucking shite about “oooh Boris is in hospital who’s running the country. Is Raab the pyab making the decisions, oooh”

As if any of these useless c***s are capable of making any decision individually.

Wouldn't want them to, TBH. 

The clue is in 'useless c***s'   but they are also 'self serving' c***s.

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’m not convinced by a straight “per head of population” comparison for a highly transmissable disease. Lots of other factors at play also.

Anyway, where’s this evenings beauties? @Alert Mongoose

EB5E70C4-C598-442E-98A8-E7F425CFB83C.jpeg

DB3E34B7-7E15-412E-9EA8-3607ACDB560F.jpeg

CBEF1EED-38CE-45F7-8D12-74A6F2913A64.jpeg

( Plus hydrochloric acid, ammonia and petrol, amongst other things. ) 

Found the reason for shortages of bagged flour.

http://www.nabim.org.uk/news/article/1918/retail-flour-shortages

"The UK is self-sufficient in flour, producing about 90,000 tonnes every week.  Yet many people are experiencing shortages in supermarkets and shops.  

To understand why this should be the case, it may be useful to offer an overview of how the industry operates on a typical, day-to-day basis.

Most UK flour is produced in bulk and delivered either in tankers or in 16kg or 25kg bags to bakeries and other food manufacturers.

Only a small proportion – around 4% of the total flour milled is sold through shops and supermarkets.

Ordinarily consumers purchase about 3,000 tonnes of flour a week in the shops – equivalent to two million 1.5kg bags.  On average, each of the 27.5 million households in the UK buys a bag of flour every 14 weeks.  

However since the COVID-19 outbreak, and in response to the subsequent lock-down, both regular bulk buyers and consumers have been purchasing much more than normal. Inevitably, existing stocks have been quickly used up and many households have been unable to buy. 

In response, UK millers have been working round the clock – genuinely milling flour 24-hours-day-seven-days-a-week to double the production of retail flour in an effort to meet demand. The equivalent of 3.5million to 4 million bags have been produced weekly by running packing lines at maximum capacity.  However, production is limited by the capacity to pack small bags, so even this is only sufficient for 15% of households to buy a bag of flour per week. Supplies of commercial flour are typically delivered either in larger bags or tankers and are therefore not subject to the same limitations.

One option is for retailers and wholesalers to stock larger bags of flour, which might be suited to more regular home-bakers. This would require a change in shopping patterns, however.

Otherwise, it will be a question of time before the surge in demand reduces enough for this enhanced level of production to meet requirements and allow stock levels to be rebuilt."

23 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Janey Godley is finally getting roasted on Twitter. She blocked me long ago so I can't enjoy it, but good that she's being called out as fucking dreadful.

Football account. 

49 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:
35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Just when you think there can’t be anything more corrupt.  Trump facilitating private businesses to profiteer from this disaster.

ignoring the 'headline story', had a scan through a few more tweets on that account, detailing or alluding to one example after another of Trump regime idiocy - none of which even move the dial over here when it comes to media coverage; rhetorical question, I know, but how, just how are Americans allowing that fucking cretin to get away with everything he does ?

I thought they were proud of their self-determination, freedoms and society as a whole - but they're now governed by a regime riven with corruption and self-interest at every level, unanswerable to anyone and wielding absolute power with utter impunity; I'm just embarrassed for all of them, really - the US is like an extreme parody of a central american dictatorship - just one on a massive scale, and with nuclear weapons...