Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

That wouldn't come as a surprise at all. People are being told to stay at home if they have symptoms but I haven't seen much in the way of guidance around what the trigger points should be for getting yourself tested or into hospital. It may be out there but it's not exactly prominent if a VL like me who lives his life through the internet isn't aware of it.

Let us know if you're in difficulty, someone will DM you a picture of a "nurse".

The growth in “I hope they die” reactions to politics is quite interesting, it would be a good thing to study. The growth of anonymous internet communications is a major factor in it becoming so prevalent but there’s other factors as well. A demographic breakdown would be interesting, the feeling from looking at t is that there’s a split between angry self-absorbed boomers and extremely online socially awkward 20 somethings.

It seems more prominent on the left than the right but actual violence would be a lot more likely from the right. A person saying they want you to die on Twitter night tend to be a leftie but a rightie is more likely to actually attack you or worse.

Could your point about the prominence on the left in this be anything to do with the fact the right are already killing people and so dont need to hope/call for it on social media?

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The growth in “I hope they die” reactions to politics is quite interesting, it would be a good thing to study. The growth of anonymous internet communications is a major factor in it becoming so prevalent but there’s other factors as well. A demographic breakdown would be interesting, the feeling from looking at t is that there’s a split between angry self-absorbed boomers and extremely online socially awkward 20 somethings.

It seems more prominent on the left than the right but actual violence would be a lot more likely from the right. A person saying they want you to die on Twitter night tend to be a leftie but a rightie is more likely to actually attack you or worse.

While your at it you could also study how often people who claim to “not care” about such a subject hang around the topic for days on end commenting dozens of time per hour obsessively about how little they care. Granny Danger would be one interesting case to get you started. 

9 hours ago, sophia said:

You are late to the party on this.

David Lidington has moved on from positioning his camera to capture a thousand books last week to one tonight where the view is an ostentatious one of a ceiling soiled with a water leak.

Even in these days of homespun broadcasting, there is spinning of the visuals.

I watched the Mash Report , Nish had a pile of kitchen towel rolls on the shelf behind his computer.

In Tony Benn's diairies he is watching television and sees a volume of his diaries on Michael Heseltine's bookshelf when he does a TV interview from home.  He sees him in the Commons the next day and says "I saw my diaries on your shelf, I assume they are there to impress people?", Heseltine said "I'll remove them at once!".  Made me smile.

I watched a response video to the Game Changers documentary and someone pointed out that one interviewee in the film is supposedlyl an expert but has five books on her shelf, none of which were anything to do with her speciality.  Maybe she had a library somewhere else.

Once I have finsihed my demographic study of death celebrations on social media, I will immediately start investigating the content of political bookshelves during the coronavirus crisis.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

It might not be the way we might like him to come to the realisation, but the fact he's in an NHS hospital and not some private joint like the royals would use means if he pulls through and survives he might have a different view of the NHS coming out than he did going in.

What I'm saying is of course there's short term guilty pleasure in someone dying who embodies everything wrong with society, but if they live they might have a permanently altered outlook which would benefit us all.

I mean obviously the easier solution is we don't wait on calamities like this to roll a dice on how our public services are funded and managed & vote in people with souls but the English don't like doing that, so I'll hope he lives purely on this basis.

I think it’s very naive to think that Johnson will have any more commitment to our public health system if he survives this than he does now.

Guest Moomintroll
Morning folks. How about a nice game of guess the animal to start off the day? 
88453F2E-33A4-4A3A-9B29-2D25C9ECEC22.thumb.jpeg.4f1431249bd5e576e8c314a1a02e5acb.jpeg
2 bees out for Halloween. Wait, wrong thread.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

In Tony Benn's diairies he is watching television and sees a volume of his diaries on Michael Heseltine's bookshelf when he does a TV interview from home.  He sees him in the Commons the next day and says "I saw my diaries on your shelf, I assume they are there to impress people?", Heseltine said "I'll remove them at once!".  Made me smile.

I watched a response video to the Game Changers documentary and someone pointed out that one interviewee in the film is supposedlyl an expert but has five books on her shelf, none of which were anything to do with her speciality.  Maybe she had a library somewhere else.

Once I have finsihed my demographic study of death celebrations on social media, I will immediately start investigating the content of political bookshelves during the coronavirus crisis.

He frontin' with all dem books.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It might not be the way we might like him to come to the realisation, but the fact he's in an NHS hospital and not some private joint like the royals would use means if he pulls through and survives he might have a different view of the NHS coming out than he did going in.

The American Right is very good at this. Support the lunatic, right wing Christian fringe on all topics until it affects them. Dick Cheney being an absolute dick to anyone who wasn't a rich, white man but strongly supporting LGBT policies because of his lesbian daughter or those close to Ronald Reagan suddenly being pro-stem cell research when they realised it could help him in his later years.

The right wing is, basically, people with less empathy so they can't begin to understand why folk need or want this help until they need or want it themselves.

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What I'm saying is of course there's short term guilty pleasure in someone dying who embodies everything wrong with society, but if they live they might have a permanently altered outlook which would benefit us all.

I mean obviously the easier solution is we don't wait on calamities like this to roll a dice on how our public services are funded and managed & vote in people with souls but the English don't like doing that, so I'll hope he lives purely on this basis.

You're absolutely deluded if you think it would change anything. It would just let him use the line about how much he loves the NHS in the future to keep his job.

Only thing I'm worried about is the fact he'll be getting the very best treatment possible in this country.

If he does die, it just completely confirms theres nothing that cam be done to save you medically. All they can do is buy you time and pray your body can fight it off yourself. Thats a slightly terrifying thought, especially if a vaccine is 12-18 months away, which means we're all likely to get it at some point.

Proper doom mongering, but theres a chance that if your body cant fight it off, then you're already a dead man walking.

Edited by RandomGuy.

46 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The growth in “I hope they die” reactions to politics is quite interesting, it would be a good thing to study. The growth of anonymous internet communications is a major factor in it becoming so prevalent but there’s other factors as well.

It's just what loads of people would have said, usually half seriously, to their friends, for pretty well ever. The difference now is broadcasting the comments to forums of strangers where some people will take it too seriously and others will be outraged, either for real or for effect.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Morning folks. How about a nice game of guess the animal to start off the day? 

88453F2E-33A4-4A3A-9B29-2D25C9ECEC22.thumb.jpeg.4f1431249bd5e576e8c314a1a02e5acb.jpeg

You just know that if some hipster, or Partick fan, had one of them as a pet they’d call it Colonel Giraffi.