Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Yes it has

It hasn't been particularly devastating there yet, but there's still time. 

It has been widely reported on many international news outlets and dailly updates published by the WHO. 

It will surely get far worse among countries like the Philippines that are so densely populated that don’t have the best health care though. If it doesn’t take off that badly in the poorer countries it will send the 5g conspiracy nut jobs into overdrive. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I suppose that's true.

But on the flip side we get "new infections increased by x" and "deaths increased by y" as if it is surprising.

Would just be refreshing to find out what is happening elsewhere, how long it took them to get there, when that same date would be for us etc.

It doesn't make much difference to me as I can find stuff out for myself, but there are plenty people about absolutely gripped by fear and hysteria for whom it's important they can see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even if the UK itself can't quite see it yet.

We don't know if it's there in Spain or Italy yet, or if ours will go the same way. False promises wouldn't help at all.

2 minutes ago, Dele said:

I just float in and out so have probably missed this. What isn't being reported? 

It's not so much that it isn't reported, but it's tucked at the end of the news reports and not made much of.

For example SPAIN NOW HAS MORE CASES THAN ITALY is the general message, which is true, but doesn't tell the full story.

Italy is still in people's minds as being the worst affected in Europe, so hearing somewhere else has more cases is terrifying to most.

Any update from Philpy today or is he lying in a ditch after being beaten senseless with his widden pallet furniture?
Nursing a sore head after excessive dark rum consumption. Better watch, DA baracus will be along to give me a lecture about my drinking...

Was seeing pictures of nhs staff wrapping each other up in bin bags in lieu of proper equipment.  This whole lack of ppe thing for docs and nurses is beyond scandalous.

Scientists and medical experts were predicting this would hit the human race anytime. There's been plans and strategies sitting in place for a few years.  We've known for a good while it had started, firstly from China then Italy and the rest of mainland Europe.  And it's been in the U.K. for over a month.

All the technology at our disposal and we couldn't get a couple of factories churning out tens of thousands of plastic masks, gloves, suits and goggles/ visors.

The health minister should be sacked over this.

Unfortunately, there will be no accountability whatsoever as this pandemic will go on for many months/ years, and things will get sorted. We'll have self-congratulatory ministers coming out with "after a few teething problems right back at the start, it's been a brilliant effort..." etc.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's not so much that it isn't reported, but it's tucked at the end of the news reports and not made much of.

For example SPAIN NOW HAS MORE CASES THAN ITALY is the general message, which is true, but doesn't tell the full story.

Lauren Hashian Wtf GIF by swerk

Italy is still in people's minds as being the worst affected in Europe, so hearing somewhere else has more cases is terrifying to most.
You are also looking for the British media to cover a bit of nuance, and explain some background and facts to people rsther than wailing out headlines and giving a 10 page preview to a speech by some auld lizard wife who knows f**k all about anything.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We don't know if it's there in Spain or Italy yet, or if ours will go the same way. False promises wouldn't help at all.

Reporting on things that are happening is not promising anything at all.

Do you not think hearing that other countries where restrictions have seen reducing numbers over a (relatively) prolonged period would perhaps be encouraging to people and make them more likely to continue to follow the guidance on staying home unless necessary to go out?

I'm sure I read it wasn't a holiday home, she had a house she stays in during the week in Edinburgh while working and a main residence in Fife. Not quite the same thing if true and the way plenty people in the likes of Edinburgh and London work. That said Fife to Edinburgh is hardly the longest daily commute !

Catherine Calderwood papped at her home in Edinburgh and holiday home in Fife this week. Call will be going in for Jason Leitch to do the daily briefing any time now.

Spain have just extended their "proper" lockdown for another 3 weeks. No relaxation quite rightly.

A bit of patience is clearly key with this.
Both Italy and Spain appear to be on the other side of the worst, but it took time for them to get there.
The same will happen here, but we do still have the worst of it to come.
Why can't news outlets report on this openly and honestly? That would be more of a 'boost' for people instead of the queen.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Which part is confusing you?

This part :

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

As I said, I'm not really paying much attention to it and perhaps I'm spectacularly missing your point (or I'm just plain thick) but surely they are reporting the truth goes against your "things aren't being reported!" 

Or are you meaning they're scaring folk, rather than report on one declining? 

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Spain have just extended their "proper" lockdown for another 3 weeks. No relaxation quite rightly.

And that shows they haven't just started turning the corner how?

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

Catherine Calderwood papped at her home in Edinburgh and holiday home in Fife this week. Call will be going in for Jason Leitch to do the daily briefing any time now.

I have developed quite a strong dislike for Catherine Calderwood based on just her accent and hard face. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it were to transpire that her husband has received another lot of broken ribs for her getting papped at their holiday home because it was clearly his fault.

Edited by 8MileBU

They're is going to be a full on lockdown within a week, the Beeb are showing footage from promanades and parks down south and they are mobbed. Now we'll get the we tried to trust you to do the right thing, you fucked it now get back in yer cell.

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Was seeing pictures of nhs staff wrapping each other up in bin bags in lieu of proper equipment.  This whole lack of ppe thing for docs and nurses is beyond scandalous.

Scientists and medical experts were predicting this would hit the human race anytime. There's been plans and strategies sitting in place for a few years.  We've known for a good while it had started, firstly from China then Italy and the rest of mainland Europe.  And it's been in the U.K. for over a month.

All the technology at our disposal and we couldn't get a couple of factories churning out tens of thousands of plastic masks, gloves, suits and goggles/ visors.

The health minister should be sacked over this.

Unfortunately, there will be no accountability whatsoever as this pandemic will go on for many months/ years, and things will get sorted. We'll have self-congratulatory ministers coming out with "after a few teething problems right back at the start, it's been a brilliant effort..." etc.

The bit that worries me is the suppression of truth early doors, I read a news piece where it said at the bottom that we'd 5 deaths at least a week before we announced one, I'm just hoping they've got the timing right as a couple of days late takes into disaster mode.