Coronavirus (COVID-19)

In a way I Iike the cut of @Detournement’s jib at times but I can’t help but doubt his qualification to make the various pronouncements he makes. Willing to be proven wrong and find there is a basis for his opinions as him being right would really ameliorate this situation.

Edited by The OP

6 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

People in my set of flats and the ones on either side have been doing a power of shagging during the lockdown. People clearly in 'who cares' mode with windows open and howling like banshees.

Glass against the wall? Or sitting listening through the letter box?

2 hours ago, virginton said:

The expert group already told the government in its report of February 26 that the NHS "will be unable to meet all demands" and advised that the following three measures would delay and reduce the peak of the outbreak:

- closing public schools

- "home isolation of symptomatic cases, for 13 weeks when enacted early"

- "voluntary household quarantine, for 13 weeks when enacted early"

It did not recommend adding social distancing policies for a similar time-frame as well because they believed that this would only lead to a second and bigger outbreak once it was lifted. The government didn't shut down the schools until fully three weeks later.

The various and completely illogical routes that each government has taken to get to this point shows political decision-making at work. And enacting a lockdown in a country that is already riddled with the virus is not the same policy as locking it down after a handful of cases. In Slovakia, for example, lockdown measures were enforced within days of their first confirmed cases: as a result, health officials expect the peak of their very slow burning outbreak to only occur in June/July rather than the April that western European states have been clinging to. Unless you can eliminate the chain of transmission entirely then governments face a range of outcomes that they  aim for with their policies, rather than having one set end point determined for them by the infallible model.

I agree completely in your point about every country being on the same page in this or a lot of the hardships populations' go through will be fairly futile.  It had to be a centrally coordinated approach, but too many egos for that to ever work.

I think Denmark, for example, were very early in locking everything down and have seen a low rate of infection and fatalities. But what's the end game for them? As soon as they lift restrictions, unless they guard all their borders night and day, they risk new infections on a population that has not built up immunity.  Aren't they just storing up the problem for further down the line, unless they plan on being in near lockdown for 18 months?

You've also got cultural differences to face. The Chinese, South Koreans and some other Asian  countries seem far more disciplined in dealing with separation and lockdown. I think the feeling in Britain was if you introduce it too early people will have had enough of it, and start ignoring the rules right around when the peak of infections occurs, leading to things getting out of control.

Only time will tell I guess.. 

Guest Moomintroll
Quite a lot of 5G idiocy appearing in various fb groups I'm in tonight. Fucking hell
If they are only turning up now, you are blessed, I have had so much mentalism appearing over the last few days.