Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

One of my mates lives next to 2 nurses in Paisley who work in intensive care

They were both off at the weekend

They’ve only got 1 person in intensive care in Paisley with coronavirus. 

He’s 86, just had a hip replacement and was in intensive care anyway 

Because Paisley is a fucking shitehole, where should-be-struck-off doctors work, where they send patients to die.

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

Why do folk keep coming out with this pish? I mean, I know why you do, but other people? The CMO said that restrictions would be reviewed every three weeks for up to 6 months. Thst isn't the same as saying it'll be in place for 6 months FFS. It might even mean relaxing after 3 weeks. I can't see it happening, but it could. This 6 months bollocks is really annoying me.

Probably because of shite like this.

Screenshot_20200331-103024_Opera.jpg

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So, we building a giant wicker man and putting all the scientists in it then?

Presumably we'll be having a large bonfire alongside it for books?

Build a bonfire build a bonfire put the scientist on the top 

Put the Tories in the middle and we’ll burn the fucking lot. 

10 hours ago, GiGi said:

Also this misses the point that a healthy person who can withstand the virus might just carry it around to someone who can't without ever displaying symptoms. Lockdown has to be for everyone.

Well that’s just not true. The government could have decreed an *actual* quarantine order at a much earlier stage in the outbreak for anyone over 50 or with serious health conditions, including carers or co-habitants with the above. The economic slack would easily be met by the bulk of the working age population: with essentials, medicine etc. being delivered to those in quarantine using volunteer groups and government agencies at a fraction of the cost of the ongoing economic shutdown. 

You might prefer the current policy but it wasn’t the only possible response on the table. Allowing Senga (67) to continue going to the shops every day she wants, blether to her mates there and then hurry back on the bus to pay the window cleaner cash in hand (new, shan, essential worker category) is not a solution that has got protecting the vulnerable as its absolute priority anyway.

Edited by vikingTON

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Probably because of shite like this.

Screenshot_20200331-103024_Opera.jpg

Fascist c***s will still be telling us to wash our hands when we go for a pish at the football.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, sparky88 said:

We can vaccinate against the flu and it still kills 500,000 people. 

I've heard the CMO for Scotland say she thinks as many as 65000 people have coronavirus here. Yet we are also told the mortality rate for COViD19 is 1 or 2 percent.  1 percent of 65000 isn't the number of deaths we have had in Scotland due to COViD19.

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

The mortality rate is nowhere near 1%

1 hour ago, throbber said:

It’s 0.072% if we have had 47 deaths with 65000 infected. If we are to assume a 1% death rate then only 4700 in Scotland are infected.

If the number is anywhere near 65000 then why is it not killing Scottish people off at anywhere near the rate seen in Italy/Spain?

They estimated early on that the mortality rate would be around 1%. Right in the middle of it you can't really put an accurate figure on it because no one knows for certain how many people are infected, and also because of the lag between when people die after they are first hospitalised. You can though use Germany and South Korea as guides because they are both extensively testing, so have more accurate figures for how many people are infected.

According to the youtube king Dr John Campbell, Germany is testing 500,000 per week and their figures show 62k infected with 500 deaths, so around 0.8%. While South Korea who are testing, tracking and tracing extensively, they have 9.5k and 150 deaths, which is around 1.6%. 

Countries like Italy & Spain and also places like New York will have a higher death rate because the infection has already spread there before they locked down and consequently overwhelmed the health care systems (plus various other reasons - Italy in particular is bad possibly because parts of the north where its been worse are densely populated with low air quality, and there is a high number of younger people staying with older family). Also other less developed countries without the high quality health systems that Italy, Germany, South Korea etc have, will suffer more.

24 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

You're supposed to say "I CANT HEAR YOU, LETS TRY HARDER " first, before the caps lock gets hit.

BOOO.

He's behind you.

(Or, in this case, above you.)

4 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Social distancing football. It'll cut out the bad tackles. 

I think we've been trialling that for the past couple of years.

51 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Thanks for your concern TRS, feeling a lot better today, was pretty bad for a few days there but I'm alive

Gutted.

In other news my hands have responded to 4 days without getting oil on them by coming out in a rash. 

16 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

No idea how many pages I’m behind on this thread. I’m not raking through the hundreds of posts & didn’t get a chance to look yesterday, was out shopping with the missus & then drove to the beach for a nice stroll, did I miss anything?

There's a bug going around.

A new epidemiological study(preprint) concludes that the fatality of Covid19 even in the Chinese city of Wuhan was only 0.04% to 0.12% and thus rather lower than that of seasonal flu, which has a mortality rate of about 0.1%. As a reason for the overestimated fatality of Covid19, the researchers suspect that initially only a small number of cases were recorded in Wuhan, as the disease was probably asymptomatic or mild in many people.