Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I didn't say that, but the info we get changes every day.

"Peak in late April if we do nothing. Let's flatten in to June"

"Peak in June"

Now the peak is predicted to be mid April, and that's with all the restrictions in place.

"2 weeks behind Italy"

"20,000 deaths" Italy will be around 20,000 deaths at the end of this but we "aren't like Italy because x,y and z"

Don't get me wrong, the measures put in place have been correct to react to the data they've been getting. But that's what it is, a reaction.

Their models and predictions have been utter nonsense.

The experts can only work with the data they have, which right now is limited, incredibly unreliable and changing every day. And that's before taking into account the different governments are taking which will change things as well.

What constitutes when this is "over"? At what point does life go back to some normality? 

What is actually the solution here, because the way I see it if life goes back to normal even in some sort of progressive introduction, this sh*t will come back due to people stopped giving a f**k about being a dirty non-hand washing b*****d. I don't see how this goes away, it sounds like it will come back at some point sporadically, shutting down areas and countries at further points in the future. 

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

No doubt just a bad apple.

Or just somebody doing what they have done for all their life until now - instinctively?  That's why keeping people apart and inside is so important.    

2 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

The experts can only work with the data they have, which right now is limited, incredibly unreliable and changing every day. And that's before taking into account the different governments are taking which will change things as well.

Then stop rolling out their models as fact.

They spread fear and have all been wrong.

The latest "6 months until UK returns to normal" helps absolutely nobody

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Everyone presenting with breathing difficulty is getting tested so the tests will have been done largely on elderly people with existing conditions.

The tests being done tell us nothing about the majority of the population.

They tell us that if you test people with some of the potential symptoms of the virus around 90-95% still don't have the virus. After that you are right we can only speculate, but I'd say it's a fair assumption that if you just tested a random sample of the population the percentage of positive/negative cases wouldn't be much different. If anything a lower percentage of positive is what I'd predict, although that is just my speculation.

Either way, there is no evidence whatsoever to back up a claim that the majority of people have had/have the virus when all the testing data we have shows the vast majority of people are negative, which is all I was trying to point out.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

What constitutes when this is "over"? At what point does life go back to some normality? 

What is actually the solution here, because the way I see it if life goes back to normal even in some sort of progressive introduction, this sh*t will come back due to people stopped giving a f**k about being a dirty non-hand washing b*****d. I don't see how this goes away, it sounds like it will come back at some point sporadically, shutting down areas and countries at further points in the future. 

I guess the ultimate goal is it will go back to normal when there is a vaccine.

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Yes. And you then said it could be disregarded because all the other graphs showed a curve.

I thought he meant the spike could be disregarded, could go back a few pages but can't be arsed. 

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I guess the ultimate goal is it will go back to normal when there is a vaccine.

That's ridiculous. We can't have restrictions in place until then.

Predictions are 12-18 months at best.

What if they can't develop one. Do we just stay like this forever?

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's ridiculous. We can't have restrictions in place until then.

Predictions are 12-18 months at best.

What if they can't develop one. Do we just stay like this forever?

That's not what I meant. What I meant is normal meaning no further spikes and mass re-infections.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I agree, it's not some being wrong, it's them being used as fact, it's nonsense, hopefully they're using input from 10 or more teams to give them a handle on where the truth might lie. 

This isolation is taking it's toll on my psyche. I voluntary went out and cut the grass  2 ways and was about to put some lovely wee spring potted flowers into the planters, luckily there was no top soil to fill them so that will be the goal for the rest of the week. That and working out what bins and in what order they go out to get picked up.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It is rarely the experts that role these things or as fact. It is often the media who report things in the sensationalist way.

Lets face it, 6 months seems conservative. While it be the case nobodies knows how this is going to play out so there absolutely no point in predicting. Restrictions at some point in the next month or so and then we will make new models based on what happens then.

Also without the models we would probably be still going down the herd immunity strategy, which would in all likelihood mean many more deaths here.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
41 minutes ago, Rugster said:
Oh, well played!

Thought I kept it just the right side of subtle.

He was sneezy last week, perhaps we're getting a one man panto