Coronavirus (COVID-19)

ICTChris

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Usually wouldn't bother with this "I said, you said" stuff but to call me a xenophobe for what I wrote is unwarranted, that's all. 

Nothing you said was Xenophobic, it was just an opportunity for someone to be a facebook type white knight. its just another fine example of people getting offended over nothing and blowing something minor out of proportion.

"how dare you call a food made in another country greasy" 🤣

Edited by red23

4 minutes ago, red23 said:

Nothing you said was Xenophobic, it was just an opportunity for someone to be a facebook type white knight. its just another fine example of people getting offended over nothing and blowing something minor out of proportion.

"how dare you call a food made in another country greasy" 🤣

I noticed you had to edit this post of yours.

Was that to remove the misogynistic references you undoubtedly put in?

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

I noticed you had to edit this post of yours.

Was that to remove the misogynistic references you undoubtedly put in?

Living in your head rent free for 6 months over a comment you misinterpreted.

On 01/05/2022 at 18:21, Loonytoons said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Everything is lockdowns fault to you and it can't possibly be anything else.
Try having a balanced point of view.

If you actually cared to look back I actually stated lockdown is a fair chance for the hepatitis outbreak.

Pointing out other possibilities has seen a mass of red dots, a case of me parroting "the other side" and now a lockdown fetishist.

Yet none of you have actually come out and said there is a possibility that it can be something else.

Your as blinkered as the facemask-wearing virtue signallers you so despise.

When dealing with Elixir, it's worth remembering that he posted gleefully when he learnt the news that Covid deaths were on the rise in South Korea.  He was genuinely delighted that a country that was tackling the issue in a way he didn't agree with, was not seeing good results at that point.

Any chance of objectivity, of reason, even of human decency, has long since fled.

When dealing with Elixir, it's worth remembering that he posted gleefully when he learnt the news that Covid deaths were on the rise in South Korea.  He was genuinely delighted that a country that was tackling the issue in a way he didn't agree with, was not seeing good results at that point.
Any chance of objectivity, of reason, even of human decency, has long since fled.
He has a point though.
I really am actually desperately hoping it's not lockdown causing the hepatitis outbreak. Not for the reasons he thinks though.
If it is, the current numbers are just the tip of the iceberg and that is going to be just dreadful for so many families.
We can only hope it is one of the other possibilities, numbers should be lower in any of those scenarios.

6 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

He has a point though.
I really am actually desperately hoping it's not lockdown causing the hepatitis outbreak. Not for the reasons he thinks though.
If it is, the current numbers are just the tip of the iceberg and that is going to be just dreadful for so many families.
We can only hope it is one of the other possibilities, numbers should be lower in any of those scenarios.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm quite sure all manner of ills have arisen from the periods of lockdown.  They absolutely merit examination.

I was responding more to the charge you made towards Elixir on the basis that his agenda ensures a blinkered reading.  I was merely pointing out that there is already compelling evidence to suggest the charge is a fair one.

On 02/05/2022 at 00:18, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Boys

I think it's yous who could do with moving on. There's undoubtedly a lot to come out in the wash regarding the handling of the corona virus pandemic and we will probably be into next year before the entre world as a whole is back to normal, but, never the less it is now pretty much over. spending time online searching for some outlier's opinions so that you can rubbish them on here is probably not the best use of anyone's time

it's time to pack it in

I agree with you to a point. Spending time online looking for psycho tweets to vindicate your own views was as pointless in March 2020 as it is now. It helps no one and only serves to continue the partisan nature of the debate, which is frankly mental in a pandemic. 

This thread still has a place though, covid is a significant event in modern history and the impacts will be with us for a long time, good and bad. It’s interesting to see how such an event can change society so much for the long term. 

Up for the weekend in Edinburgh having lived in England for years. Difference is pretty stark - I probably just went to shit places though. 

Whighams wine bar, we go in and start walking round looking for a table or bar. Bar woman sprints to meet us, "can I help you??".....yeah we're here for a drink. Immediately declares its all table service. Perspex screens still floating about in random places there too. Saturday night and it was half empty, absurd.

Boozy cow very similar. Half empty.

Went to Royal Mile - Ensign stewart etc etc - all back to normal and rammed. 

Not really sure what point I'm making, but the difference in places who were desperate to cling on to some measures was pretty stark. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/may/03/obesity-epidemic-proportions-across-europe-world-health-organization-who

The real pandemic of fat, puffing messes predictably punting the 'rona into the seaside leagues of global health issues. 

For the purpose of this analogy, Devi Sridhar and Deepti Gurdasani assume the roles of Peter Grant and John Hughes. 

The SNP's clowncil election advert is absolutely toe-curling. The genuine audacity to try and point score over Covid against the big bad Toriezzz!!111

Risible.

22 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, this is *exactly* what was happening. 🥴

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

The SNP's clowncil election advert is absolutely toe-curling. The genuine audacity to try and point score over Covid against the big bad Toriezzz!!111

Risible.

Yeah I’m not a Tory fan but when your whole party broadcast is ‘Tories are bad’ you aren’t really selling yourself.

1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Yeah I’m not a Tory fan but when your whole party broadcast is ‘Tories are bad’ you aren’t really selling yourself.

Ironically its something we have probably all criticised the other parties for in Scotland too, with their election material focused heavily on "We'll stop the SNP/Indyref2". 

We all know the Tories are scum, but going down the road of "We're not as bad as the other guy" is surefire route towards voter apathy. 

30 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I've seen more than one post on my facebook feed absolutely loving it.

Ultimately, this rhetoric will be lapped up by many SNP supporters.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've seen more than one post on my facebook feed absolutely loving it.

Ultimately, this rhetoric will be lapped up by many SNP supporters.

We only need a single opposition leader with an ounce of charisma and the party will quite literally be over for the SNP.

Just like it was for Labour when Salmond came back and replaced Swinney.

The turnaround can be that fast, that devastating and that long-term.

And none of it is brain surgery. Simply have a bit of charisma and present a compelling vision of Scotland if you get into power. It seems so basic and obvious. And yet I can't recall the last time ANY party tried doing that either at Westminster or up here.

It beggars belief that so many of these people from all parties are walking into an effective job interview, being asked "So why should we hire you?" and thinking "because the other candidates are worse" is a good answer. Where on earth do they scrape these people up from?

Edited by oaksoft

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

We only need a single opposition leader with an ounce of charisma and the party will quite literally be over for the SNP.

Just like it was for Labour when Salmond came back and replaced Swinney.

The turnaround can be that fast, that devastating and that long-term.

And none of it is brain surgery. Simply have a bit of charisma and present a compelling vision of Scotland if you get into power. It seems so basic and obvious. And yet I can't recall the last time ANY party tried doing that either at Westminster or up here.

It beggars belief that so many of these people from all parties are walking into an effective job interview, being asked "So why should we hire you?" and thinking "because the other candidates are worse" is a good answer. Where on earth do they scrape these people up from?

I can see why they do it - there’s plenty amongst us who’ll mouth off on social media about parties that they don’t like and express amazement that anybody could vote for them, and political leaders then try and tap into it, because they think it’s a vote winner but in reality is a very lazy and entitled approach to take.

The issue is that a lot peoples political activism starts and ends with social media, but most of the electorate don’t rely on Twitter etc to make their minds up.

You then end up getting the election results and then people are amazed that reality doesn’t match what they see on their cherry picked Twitter feed.

10 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

I can see why they do it - there’s plenty amongst us who’ll mouth off on social media about parties that they don’t like and express amazement that anybody could vote for them, and political leaders then try and tap into it, because they think it’s a vote winner but in reality is a very lazy and entitled approach to take.

The issue is that a lot peoples political activism starts and ends with social media, but most of the electorate don’t rely on Twitter etc to make their minds up.

You then end up getting the election results and then people are amazed that reality doesn’t match what they see on their cherry picked Twitter feed.

I think there's a lot of truth in that TBH.

Also, there's a lot of shouty people in politics. Apparently the way to change a floating voter (who make up the majority of voters by all accounts) from voting Tory to voting Labour is to scream constant personal abuse at them.

Tomorrow is certainly going to be interesting. Can you imagine the online outrage if Boris manages to somehow pluck a good result out of fresh air?

Posted (edited)

Offshore platform I'm on has pretty much dropped all Covid procedures.  Face coverings (incl on choppers), social distancing stickers on the floors, and max numbers of people in a room have all gone.  LFT before coming out and another a few days in seems to be the only request.  A near-full return to normality.  Pleasing.

Edited by Hedgecutter