Coronavirus (COVID-19)

56 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

So it's the 1.4 v 3 statistic that's crucial here. It's so fucking contagious.

Yep did some rough calcs in Excel there, staggering how much a difference that makes after 10 iterations.

Although by my calculation 1.3 would give you 14 infections, 1.4 would infect 28.

Extremely localised compared with 59000 though.

And by my reckoning that means 59000 are being infected after the 10th iteration, but there's the total of everyone who's been infected at the previous iterations, meaning 1 person has infected 88,572 people by that stage!

Edited by Lurkst

Some boy
“I had a part that detects magnetic fields. I thought that if I built a circuit that could detect the magnetic field, and we wore magnets on our wrists, then it could set off an alarm if you brought it too close to your face. A bit of boredom in isolation made me think of that.”
However, the academic realised the electronic part he had did the opposite – and would only complete a circuit when there was no magnetic field present.
“I accidentally invented a necklace that buzzes continuously unless you move your hand close to your face,” he said.
2237.jpg?width=300%26quality=85%26auto=format%26fit=max%26s=649641ae81d130c532274254f79a2e6f&key=f6419f0b781f68b6b1ca027e2b48c2e7637a193fb40f7472d87cc2ae60b7d0beimage.png.4fdc819c40012ee3a993b4dd0af66737.pngimage.png.d392acc69dba5650b526767101a7d04f.pngimage.png.cf7c52428fc2b54059bcee0a705a97fc.png

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/30/astrophysicist-gets-magnets-stuck-up-nose-while-inventing-coronavirus-device

image.png.1f4f1b04c8f3ce56a7ae176c4ea3f064.png
I didn't know Paulo Sergio had moved Down Under.

I can't see why though. If symptoms can take up to 3 weeks to appear, and cases are resolved one way or another in let's say 6 weeks then in 9-10 weeks we should be in a pretty good place. Stretch it to 12 weeks for a buffer. Older and immumosuppressed people keeping out the way over that period should massively reduce the number of cases needing hospital treatment, and antibody testing kits will be out too.
What would the next 12 weeks help achieve that the first 12 hadn't, other than cause unrest as people can see infections all but disappear.
Unless its put in place to make the government look better if we get back to normal sooner, but that seems very cynical of me.
There are also different regions. I expect Scotland and Wales, for example, to get on top of this, flatten the curve and ride the downward curve much quicker than, for example, London and the midlands. There should be no reason 12 weeks down the line to continue to treat the UK as 1 region, nevermind 24.
A second wave is anticipated if we go straight back to normal putting us back to square one. If cases start increasing again then the lockdown will start again.

We will need to really ramp up the testing then can start to isolate and lockdown areas that have a further outbreak rather than the whole country.

6 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

A second wave is anticipated

Based on what, though?

It hasn't happened in China, even with people returning to China with the virus.

Surely if there are now new cases after 12 weeks a further 12 weeks is completely unnecessary.

Screenshot_20200330-115718_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200330-115641_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Yeah, this happened. :rolleyes:

A driver has travelled from Coventry to Salford to collect a £15 EBay purchase of windows. His wife could not fit in the vehicle so she was travelling in the boot for the return journey when stopped on the M6 Cheshire. The driver was given a TOR for the offence.

— North West Motorway Police (@NWmwaypolice) March 29, 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52088987

Pie in the boot?

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

What harm does two people going out and one staying in the car do?

There is an amazing failure to understand the purpose of the restrictions. Folk are tying themselves in knots.

When I've had to go places in the car - once for work, couple of times for shopping - big kid has come and stayed in the car, just to get out the house. It presents literally zero risk of Covid-19 transmission.

No doubt the Holy Wullnaes will be condemning that. 

31 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Why do you both need to go out?

29 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Couldn't you get the shopping then?  

That would be my preference.  Maybe neither of you are married though.

Just had two guys and a flatbed truck come down our street, one of them chapping doors and offering tree cutting work. Then the window cleaner came.

I can sort-of understand the window-cleaner, provided they don't come to the door for payment, though they're still touching gates and stuff. But the first two need lifted, no?

3 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

That's the moron who "cured" people on his TV show by pointing at the camera, and tried to defend wanting another private jet (he already has others) by saying it was gods will.

Yeah he asked viewers to touch their TV set and he would communicate his healing powers to them through TV signals or something mad like that.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Just had two guys and a flatbed truck come down our street, one of them chapping doors and offering tree cutting work. Then the window cleaner came.

I can sort-of understand the window-cleaner, provided they don't come to the door for payment, though they're still touching gates and stuff. But the first two need lifted, no?

Only two of them?  It’s usually tree fellers.

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Sturgeon said gardening services could still proceed. Not sure how this applies to possible fly by nights? 

Contact local police? 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That would be my preference.  Maybe neither of you are married though.

I'm married. When we've needed to go for something, I've went myself.

I just don't understand how two (elderly, may I add) folk going to the shops is necessary. What if you break down and have to call for someone to come get you? It's twice the level of necessary exposure.