Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Chinese to be 2 vaxxs and a booster also 48hr negative test before arriving here...all changed from yesterday.

Wonder what the plan is for Sunday.

18 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Chilled?

Yes, we have changed again.  Only proof of vaccine needed, no test required now.

Oh, I wonder what Monday will bring us.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

I just read that nauseating article and looked in here, specifically to see if it had got a sneering/seething mention.

You didn't disappoint.

122 deaths in all age groups linked to invasive strep A, including 25 children. There have been 33,000 notifications of scarlet fever since September.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ukhsa-update-on-scarlet-fever-and-invasive-group-a-strep-1

Strep A is extremely common, it basically just means a sore throat. Scarlet fever is a complication of that, it’s also quite common. Invasive strep A is a very serious complication and is thankfully very rare.

My sons nursery has reported cases of Strep A but they haven’t closed or anything like that. I think they’ve just reiterated to keep your child off nursery if they aren’t well. Our friends child had scarlet fever, it wasn’t very nice and he was cooped up for a few days but he’s fine now. Strep and scarlet fever are straightforward to treat with antibiotics.

ETA - Those figures are for England, I think the Scottish figures are broadly similar.

Edited by ICTChris

Scottish figures are here

https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/a-to-z-of-topics/streptococcal-infections/group-a-streptococcal-infections/

Invasive strep cases seem comparable to previous years, non pandemic years that is. Sadly seven deaths of invasive strep cases with two deaths in children under 10 in Scotland.

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

122 deaths in all age groups linked to invasive strep A, including 25 children. There have been 33,000 notifications of scarlet fever since September.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ukhsa-update-on-scarlet-fever-and-invasive-group-a-strep-1

Strep A is extremely common, it basically just means a sore throat. Scarlet fever is a complication of that, it’s also quite common. Invasive strep A is a very serious complication and is thankfully very rare.

My sons nursery has reported cases of Strep A but they haven’t closed or anything like that. I think they’ve just reiterated to keep your child off nursery if they aren’t well. Our friends child had scarlet fever, it wasn’t very nice and he was cooped up for a few days but he’s fine now. Strep and scarlet fever are straightforward to treat with antibiotics.

ETA - Those figures are for England, I think the Scottish figures are broadly similar.

My dad had a sister who died from this in the 1950's, I take it nowadays it's much more treatable?

On 02/01/2023 at 22:20, effeffsee_the2nd said:

My dad had a sister who died from this in the 1950's, I take it nowadays it's much more treatable?

They treat it with a course of antibiotics, penicillin. I think it did used to be a lot deadlier before the widespread availability of them.

To the surprise of absolutely no-one the on field cardiac arrest of NFL player Damar Hamlin is being exploited by mad anti-vaxxers. Basically any time someone dies or has a heart attack social media blows up with people attributing it to vaccines. The certifiable zero Covider discussed earlier in the thread has done the same thing in this case as well. 

Sad to inform everyone that once again, I am checking Zero Covid Twitter.  It's a compulsion.

Here is one tweet against *checks notes* doctors.

20,000 followers for this guy.  Assume he's bought a few.

This is another thread of his, basically confirming he's certifiable.

I know he's one guy and a minority but it's not a non-existent minority.  

Edited by ICTChris

Our health minister, General Convicted Drug Smuggler, on Saturday announced that all foreigners entering Thailand will have to show proof of 2 vaccinations, this was changed from just Chinese nationals, as it was discriminate  against them and was to take effect immediately.  Yes folk were on planes already...  

Everyone started cancelling their travel to Thailand and tourist associations the length and breadth of the country went into meltdown.

Don't worry.  Monday is a new day and it's all changed; his words...

"Showing proof of vaccination would be cumbersome and inconvenient, and so the group's decision is that it is unnecessary," Mr Anutin told reporters.

He got it right, but by f**k he and his 'group' haven't a clue what their doing.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2478482/govt-u-turns-on-covid-vaccination-rule-for-visitors

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

The majority of the country won't wear them. 

Noticed more people wearing them at the supermarket, mostly OAPs so probably a sensible precaution.

I've an appointment at the opticians tomorrow and will take along one to wear if asked.

Edited by btb