Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I was at the hospital at the weekend with a relative and was fully expecting  to have to wear one but almost nobody was doing so.

Some staff were but most of them weren't wearing one either.

Really surprised at that. Pleasantly surprised though.

My wife and I have been taking regular trips in to ninewells recently as we are expecting a baby. At the entrance, you are still met with a wall of signs saying you MUST wear masks to enter with little dispensers to grab one if you don't have. 

Am I right in saying the legal requirement has been dropped in hospitals now also? 

Hospital settings are the one setting I don't really grumble at having to wear one given the circumstances we are in there etc etc.

My wife has had to put up with my mask ramblings for and general grumpiness towards them since this began.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Oh the signs were everywhere but people were ignoring them.

Outside of germaphobes and hypochondriacs, almost nobody cares about covid anymore and haven't done for a very long time. Obviously nobody wants to die from it or see a relative die from it but people have clearly moved on to things which are more important. That seems to be crystal clear.

I thought the "legal" stuff had all been dropped and was just guidance now which hospitals were enforcing themselves for a while.

I have to say that I'm prepared to give hospitals a bit more latitude with this masking stupidity if they have someone on a door demanding I wear one but beyond that environment it's a hard pass on any request to wear them.

Thankfully all the dross of the rona fear has basically subsided now despite deliberate attempts by much of the media to bring it back to the forefront. Lets just hope it stays that way.

10 hours ago, Detournement said:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/jul/20/unvaccinated-review-the-most-infuriating-tv-show-of-the-year-so-far

The Guardian and the BBC seem to think it's 2021 again.

The vaccine does nothing to prevent infection or transmission of the current variants and millions of unvaccinated people are going about their lives at big events, going on holidays and studying or working as normal yet pish like this is still being published. 

Remember when you were saying that they would be permanently excluded from a 'new normal' society? 🤪

19 hours ago, Elixir said:

Remember when you were saying that they would be permanently excluded from a 'new normal' society? 🤪

They tried but too many people were opposed to the 'new normal'. 

Billy Boy says we are due for another big one before the end of the decade so it'll probably be back on the agenda as soon as our living standards are destroyed by inflation.

I can’t work out a way to get round the thumping great FT paywall for this story. But Britain is the only country where numbers leaving the workforce have increased post lockdowns.

31 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They tried but too many people were opposed to the 'new normal'. 

Billy Boy says we are due for another big one before the end of the decade so it'll probably be back on the agenda as soon as our living standards are destroyed by inflation.

28 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Your purchasing power and access to travel and energy are being reset right now. 

Just take the L, m8.

32 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And one comment is saying "if they didn't wear masks it would have been even worse" followed by a wee clown symbol. Another is blaming the 1% who don't mask up.

These people will never admit they are wrong about masks.

The wearing of masks, particularly in winter is a very longstanding tradition in Japan. When I and my family lived and worked in Japan in the sixties and seventies, it was fully accepted that masks would be worn to avoid spreading or catching coughs and colds. Their use during the pandemic was regarded as entirely appropriate and correct.

3 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Their use during the pandemic was regarded as entirely appropriate and correct.

And yet, useless.

Just because they've done something for decades does not mean that it actually works.