Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

It’s funny how folk don’t realise the damage that what *they* supported  had caused, the deaths that occurred under those policies and the deaths and poverty that continues

Own what you supported

your virtue, their deaths, their poverty, their misery

It’s all on the western middle class left 

image.png

Frustrated World Cup GIF

So. Now that this is over. In hindsight what was the correct course of action? There was obviously a load of crazy stuff from the governments. You couldn't go fishing in the middle of a river with noone within twenty miles. The main meal with a drink was a load of pish. 

I feel as though we should have tried to protect the vulnerable as best we could. Let the young carry on, and let people make their own decisions. Who knows. I really feel sorry for the youngsters. They were unfairly punished in my opinion. I've also had around 8 pints. 😄

3 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Throughout history, the Tories have been the biggest tax and spend party

Covid allowed the Tories to get away with it, supported by the middle class left

at the expense of the vulnerable and the working class 

Awaw tae yer bed ya slaverin c**t !

3 hours ago, GTee said:

So. Now that this is over. In hindsight what was the correct course of action? There was obviously a load of crazy stuff from the governments. You couldn't go fishing in the middle of a river with noone within twenty miles. The main meal with a drink was a load of pish. 

I feel as though we should have tried to protect the vulnerable as best we could. Let the young carry on, and let people make their own decisions. Who knows. I really feel sorry for the youngsters. They were unfairly punished in my opinion. I've also had around 8 pints. 😄

I never wanted a lockdown as i was willing to accept the risk, I always thought that if as many workplaces as possible moved to home working, those on the vulnerable list were given letters to give to their employer stating that they did not have to attend work in person regardless of the job, with financial support to go with. then in that case we could allow life to carry on as somewhat normal.  All this talk of boris " murdering" people by easing lockdown was such a load of pish, no one was putting a gun to you're head and forcing you out. i suppose you could argue that if everywhere had been allowed to remain open then the staff would have no choice but to go and put themselves at risk, also. if society was open then you would have most definetly seen a surge of chancers trying to get themselves on the vulnerable list so that they didn't have to go to work

9 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

I'm back out mid September, is there any talk of reintroducing the Thai pass guff and mandatory insurance? Thailand will obviously get spikes from tourist, especially from UK as it's pretty much endemic here now but it's quite noticeable that keeping the state of emergency in place till the end of September (end of low season) is a good excuse for the govt. to keep an angry population in check.     

Nae, can't see them introduce the Thai Pass again as they are raving about the tourist numbers now (just the sly dirty foreigners stuff as usual). I can see them maybe introduce they early closing hrs. But then again, this government are a sitting duck, they could do anything

Global supply chains are also going to find themselves knackered indefinitely whilst China continues to pursue its 'zero covid' policy. The harsh reality is that we're too dependent on China and when entire cities can be shut down because 12 people have started coughing, you're going to end in a regular cycle of frustration. Supply chains can of course be moved out of China, but these things don't happen overnight and come at potentially significant cost. 

There have been general supply chain problems owing to a shortage of shipping containers going back a few years now, although naturally the response to Covid has completely and utterly fucked it entirely. Shipping costs were heading up massively even before the price of oil went mental. 

This is just one issue out of many caused by the pandemic, some of which have been alluded to above. The people that advocated harsh measures will simply shrug their shoulders and mutter something vague that governments will just have to sort it all out, almost certainly at huge cost. It's easier than acknowledging the damage inflicted upon society that they were cheerleading and agitating for. 

Sadly I also do not foresee this really being over any time soon. We might have passed the pandemic mentality (at least for the majority of people) but we are seeing the nasty effects of the measures taken playing out and it'll be a while before they leave us. 

Edited by Michael W

19 hours ago, Loonytoons said:
19 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:
This very thread was virtually 99.99% pro lockdown from the start
i was banned several occasions for arguing against, no-one backed me
Oaksoft took great delight in those bans. He fully supported lockdowns 
Own the damage [mention=8416]oaksoft[/mention] emoji6.png

Initial lockdown seriously reduced the spread of a very deadly strain of covid.

Did it, though? There is evidence the UK's first wave had already peaked. Germany and other countries in central and eastern Europe delayed their first wave, yet in the end all ended up with similar or worse overall outcomes to the UK in the subsequent waves that followed.

16 hours ago, Left Back said:

Frustrated World Cup GIF

That's the thing about some of the crazies, legitimate points like that are lost in the tinfoil.

15 hours ago, GTee said:

If we simply followed pandemic mitigation as had always been planned for (like Sweden did) before Italy shat the bed and followed China, I doubt there would have been any real difference to overall health outcomes in the UK. If this was done collectively across the world, we might not be seeing quite the same shit show we are now.