Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Unsurprisingly, Italy blobbed the mask ditching promise yesterday. They were supposed to go from everywhere except schools/hospitals/care homes from 1st May but was announced yesterday that they need to stay on public transport/cinemas/theatres and most nebulously, public work spaces(?). Apparently "we are still in the pandemic".

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Unsurprisingly, Italy blobbed the mask ditching promise yesterday. They were supposed to go from everywhere except schools/hospitals/care homes from 1st May but was announced yesterday that they need to stay on public transport/cinemas/theatres and most nebulously, public work spaces(?). Apparently "we are still in the pandemic".

Flew home from Rome last week and mask wearing was strictly enforced in Italy. We were told on the BA flight to wear masks until we took off and then we could decide whether to wear them or not.

31 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Flew home from Rome last week and mask wearing was strictly enforced in Italy. We were told on the BA flight to wear masks until we took off and then we could decide whether to wear them or not.

Looks like the Italian government want to make sure they are the last to lift the restrictions completely. Although there are still some people walking alone outside or driving in cars whilst wearing masks. Seems like there are many people who have been mentally scarred by this.

Edited by jimbaxters

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

3 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Looks like the Italian government want to make sure they are the last to lift the restrictions completely. Although there are still some people walking alone outside or driving in cars whilst wearing masks. Seems like there are many people who have been mentally scarred by this.

Shouldn't be a surprise given these clowns helped bounce the West into following China in the first place. There are many parts of Italy I want to visit but I'll be giving it a wide berth until all their psycho Covid shit is gone - and who would want to go there right now anyway when there are loads of 2019 holiday experiences to be had in Europe and further afield again. Not least elsewhere in the Med like Croatia. Even Greece are now largely abandoning ship:

Edited by Elixir

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

At least they've lifted the mandate for shops, restaurants and bars so apart from my bus from the airport I'll be fine, thank f**k. Going to Sicily next week.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

At least they've lifted the mandate for shops, restaurants and bars so apart from my bus from the airport I'll be fine, thank f**k. Going to Sicily next week.

Remember it's an N95 you need for public transport over there.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Thought I read you saying you were going “next week” two weeks ago. Am I imagining it?

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

Shouldn't be a surprise given these clowns helped bounce the West into following China in the first place. There are many parts of Italy I want to visit but I'll be giving it a wide berth until all their psycho Covid shit is gone - and who would want to go there right now anyway when there are loads of 2019 holiday experiences to be had in Europe and further afield again. Not least elsewhere in the Med like Croatia. Even Greece are now largely abandoning ship:

So you’re focusing your holiday choice on places with no covid policies in place? Very rational. Sit in a bar eating greasy souvlaki but at least you don’t have to complete a PLF!

On 27/04/2022 at 21:59, Elixir said:

Btw, I'm genuinely surprised at just how quickly mask compliance has melted away. Was expecting a reasonable number of hingers on for several weeks yet but it's genuinely about 10-20% at best. Even plenty of auld biddies have had enough. Very pleasing.

Noticed that as well, I was in England last week and we are almost at their mask wearing levels already.

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Thought I read you saying you were going “next week” two weeks ago. Am I imagining it?

You're probably mixing me up with someone else, there's a few posters talking about going to Italy. Flying out a week tomorrow, was meant to be going to Northern Spain but my flights got cancelled so I switched to Sicily, thinking the weather might be better.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You're probably mixing me up with someone else, there's a few posters talking about going to Italy. Flying out a week tomorrow, was meant to be going to Northern Spain but my flights got cancelled so I switched to Sicily, thinking the weather might be better.

Weird. Could have sworn it was you pal. To the point where I almost PMed you the other day to ask how you got on. 

Enjoy it anyway. Not been down there yet but maybe this summer.

11 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Weird. Could have sworn it was you pal. To the point where I almost PMed you the other day to ask how you got on. 

Enjoy it anyway. Not been down there yet but maybe this summer.

I'll let you know how it goes, flying to Palermo, staying in an AirBnB in Marsala. Sounds fairly quiet but Trapani and Palermo are in easy reach if I get bored. Might well have said in a week or so instead of in a few weeks, who knows! Are you in Rome? I remember all the faff you had coming over for a visit in peak covid.

Edited by welshbairn

47 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

So you’re focusing your holiday choice on places with no covid policies in place? Very rational. Sit in a bar eating greasy souvlaki but at least you don’t have to complete a PLF!

Souvlaki is fucking excellent m8.

And yes, people will make choices between comparable destinations, based on the pointless hassle and gesture politics they're required to engage with. The Mediterranean has enough destinations where they have to compete with each other - which is why they ditched their entry restrictions in both summers despite the screeching of the Sridhar and Gurdasani brigade. 

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Depends on what's in place tbh. Masks outdoors was a red line for me, for example. Malta removed that a few weeks before I went or I'd have cancelled it. Being required to take a test before going, which is thankfully dwindling at least in Europe, is another off-putting thing. 

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Souvlaki is fucking excellent m8.

And yes, people will make choices between comparable destinations, based on the pointless hassle and gesture politics they're required to engage with. The Mediterranean has enough destinations where they have to compete with each other - which is why they ditched their entry restrictions in both summers despite the screeching of the Sridhar and Gurdasani brigade. 

40 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Depends on what's in place tbh. Masks outdoors was a red line for me, for example. Malta removed that a few weeks before I went or I'd have cancelled it. Being required to take a test before going, which is thankfully dwindling at least in Europe, is another off-putting thing. 

Thankfully saved me the bother. yXAbrOQ.png

The ambulance chasers absolutely at a loss that infection levels are now falling off a cliff, as expected. Despite this being the ONS survey, it must be because we're not testing anymore!!111