Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

A second wave was always going to happen. We can’t live like this forever though. There’s an argument that a 3 or 4 month lockdown with even longer to wait for sports, cinema, gigs etc, would do even more harm to people than the actual coronavirus

Let's be real here - not dying is more important than watching James Bond at the pictures. 

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

A second wave was always going to happen. We can’t live like this forever though. There’s an argument that a 3 or 4 month lockdown with even longer to wait for sports, cinema, gigs etc, would do even more harm to people than the actual coronavirus

The Trump/Republican argument.

That's why we will do it in waves. The primary focus has to be saving lives. This virus will sweep across the nation and kill potentially millions if we just leave it to flourish.

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

For some their mental health can’t just wait until “after”. So many people feel isolated as it is without not being able to go out as they usually do or see family/friends etc. I can see suicide rates going up dramatically the longer this goes on 

I agree with you there, that's an unfortunate and horrible side effect of our fight against a disease that will kill more though.

13 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

At first they predicted 500,000 people will die, dropped it to 20,000 and then to 5700.

The 500,000 figure was if we do nothing, the 20,000 figure is if we do really well at isolating, the 5,700 figure would be fabulous, but unlikely. It's definitely nowhere near the time to slacken off, we clearly haven't reached the peak yet.

Edited by welshbairn

18 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Like I said earlier tho, more lockdown isn't necessarily the answer, after a number of weeks you will reach a tipping point where it creates more problems than it solves,  there has to actually be a society left for survivors to return to  .

Totally agree. It was just last weekend, when we were strongly encouraged to get serious about social distancing, and it was widely ignored. The schools only shut last Friday so it would have been impossible to shut down sooner.

16 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

At first they predicted 500,000 people will die, dropped it to 20,000 and then to 5700.

You've really misunderstood, I'm afraid. The 500,000 figure is the 'do nothing' model, and it still is, that hasn't changed. The 5,700 is the model for doing all of the things we are now doing. 

Have a look at the Imperial College report, it's only 16 pages and very readable. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Here's the key table: 

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 23.37.16.png

24 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Like I said earlier tho, more lockdown isn't necessarily the answer, after a number of weeks you will reach a tipping point where it creates more problems than it solves,  there has to actually be a society left for survivors to return to  .

Have to say, this is an impressive first post below.

14 minutes ago, DaleCooper2019 said:

Be honest...who has had a few lagers?

42 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Why are predictions always 2 weeks away and by someone itk?

So far all have been wrong.

It won't be at peak by then, that might be when they expect the shit to hit the fan behind the fan. 

52 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Calm doon, I’ve flouted f**k all 

Lockdown should have been earlier, Mother’s Day weekend was mental 

Agreed, Mon, Tues that week was the time, our health service in London will only avoid being swamped due to selection process not measures taken by experts,its a scandal I won't forget in a hurry. 

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The 500,000 figure was if we do nothing, the 20,000 figure is if we do really well at isolating, the 5,700 figure would be fabulous, but unlikely. It's definitely nowhere near the time to slacken off, we clearly haven't reached the peak yet.

The 5700 figure looks like a fantasy number, this time next week we'll probably be ridiculing it on the way past. 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have to say, this is an impressive first post below.

aw piss of mate I'm clearly being dramatic to prove a point, its all well and good this stay at home save lives but only up until a point , what good does it do if everyone escapes the virus only to be couped up in the house with no access to gyms, sports teams, social contact with family and friends etc etc and that's not taking account that leaving the house for exercise privileges being withdrawn.  not to mention things like  regular doctors appointments all being cancelled or changed to telephone consulations.  cancer screenings , all the non essential operations being cancelled.  And that's before you even mention the economy getting such a tanking that it leads to a credit crunch debt crisis on steroids that cripples society for years.

Yes lockdowns are effective in the short term but they're not a viable long term solution

35 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

For some their mental health can’t just wait until “after”. So many people feel isolated as it is without not being able to go out as they usually do or see family/friends etc. I can see suicide rates going up dramatically the longer this goes on 

I wish I could give you a better answer but that is a price that will be paid regardless. 

Edited by ayrmad

Just now, DaleCooper2019 said:

First time caller, long time listener.

Came for the COVID-19 thread - stayed for the banter

Think your lager point could be relevant, it's not usually so apocalyptic and zombie looters forecasts on here. There will people really suffering with financial loss, not me luckily, but for most a bit of catching up on box sets and wanking, and others having to get to know their children a bit better for a few weeks won't be the end of the world.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Think your lager point could be relevant, it's not usually so apocalyptic and zombie looters forecasts on here. There will people really suffering with financial loss, not me luckily, but for most a bit of catching up on box sets and wanking, and others having to get to know their children a bit better for a few weeks won't be the end of the world.

^^^ too auld tae w**k

My point was said 100% in jest! This is by far the only hardship my generation has faced.

Personally, I wish to keep spirits high and have a laugh wherever possible.

I am an anxious person, I have made my first post (which is ridiculous) on your forum in an attempt to bring people together.

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

^^^ too auld tae w**k

Never too auld tae w**k, the hormone treatment I'm getting to calm down my rampant testosterone is calming it down a bit admittedly. A side benefit is I've had fantastically orgasmic dreams with dry sheets, so not all bad. :)

4 minutes ago, DaleCooper2019 said:

My point was said 100% in jest! This is by far the only hardship my generation has faced.

Personally, I wish to keep spirits high and have a laugh wherever possible.

I am an anxious person, I have made my first post (which is ridiculous) on your forum in an attempt to bring people together.

I'll get the popcorn.