Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Whats everyones thoughts on when the lockdown& restrictions will end?  

For me its got to be 4-5 weeks tops, Wuhan was much longer but it's china and youd be comparing apples and oranges for that Europe tbh.  people in Italy are starting to crack up already although theirs is a bit stricter than ours.  In any case there has to come a point where the lockdown & restrictions start causing more damage than the virus itself , coupled with the fact that people will just run out of patience and start disobeying the lockdown en masse. the last part would be better not happening so I think there will be a gradual loosening of restrictions at the end of next month, but May and june could well be a bogey as far as normal life is concerned with many places still closed. large crowd sports and music events will likely be the last to return to normal.  just my opinion 

Had this conversation with Mrs Poz - a conversation I bet we’re all having. Boris announced this level of lockdown would be three weeks, then reviewed. My opinion is that at the end of the three weeks a couple of things will be relaxed. One should be the ability to physically visit immediate family - while observing social distancing rules. As an example, my sister-in-law lost her long term partner to cancer a couple of months ago. She is now at home, alone, and my wife cannot see her sister at a real time of need. It’s brutal for both of them. A situation like that has to be remedied somehow. The abilty to physically visit your parents, brother, sister, whoever. That, IMHO, must be a priority. As others have said - aspects of this lockdown are in danger of creating real and serious other problems.

Edited by pozbaird

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Had this conversation with Mrs Poz - a conversation I bet we’re all having. Boris announced this level of lockdown would be three weeks, then reviewed. My opinion is that at the end of the three weeks a couple of things will be relaxed. One should be the ability to physically visit immediate family - while observing social distancing rules. As an example, my sister-in-law lost her long term partner to cancer a couple of months ago. She is now at home, alone, and my wife cannot see her sister at a real time of need. It’s brutal for both of them. A situation like that has to be remedied somehow. The abilty to physically visit your parents, brother, sister, whoever. That, IMHO, must be a priority. As others have said - aspects of this lockdown are in danger of creating real and serious other problems.

What do you think is realistically going to happen, though?

As soon as there's any sign of even the slightest relaxation, folk will take the absolute piss. By then the weather will be even a couple of degrees warmer. It'll be like a bank holiday all over again, and we'll need to start again.

If BoJo has any sense he'll keep us on lockdown for a minimum of a month. The Great British Public have shown that they can't be trusted to behave sensibly.

Just now, Gaz said:

What do you think is realistically going to happen, though?

As soon as there's any sign of even the slightest relaxation, folk will take the absolute piss. By then the weather will be even a couple of degrees warmer. It'll be like a bank holiday all over again, and we'll need to start again.

If BoJo has any sense he'll keep us on lockdown for a minimum of a month. The Great British Public have shown that they can't be trusted to behave sensibly.

I fear that if there is simply NO sign of relaxation, and the current level of lockdown is announced as going on for another three weeks or more, you’ll see civil disobedience. Probably organised through social media too. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see trouble on the streets in the capital. Not adverse to a bit of rioting down there, which in the past has seen copycat action in other English cities.

Frankly though, I don’t know what tomorrow might bring, never mind next week or next month.

Week beginning the 13th of April it’s going to get really ugly here apparently.

That’s the predicted peak week, got a family member in the procurement side of the NHS who’s been told to strap in for then.

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

Week beginning the 13th of April it’s going to get really ugly here apparently.

That’s the predicted peak week, got a family member in the procurement side of the NHS who’s been told to strap in for then.

Save it for Facebook, m8. 

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Aye, o'er 45 and a couple of cheeky reds of a weekend. 

Meant to delete that and replace it with did they die from Covid19?, but you were too quick for me. Knowing 3 people who've died from it in Scotland must be still very rare.

There is no point in doing mass testing apart from to study transmission. If you test negative in the morning you can catch it in the afternoon so it's completely pointless. Also if you go with the Scottish Government figures around 98% of people who get it don't need hospital care (which means the herd immunity idea should work). The people who are dying are elderly people with cancer, COPD and other illnesses.   

And the clinically obese - 70% of those who have been admitted into hospitals fall into that category.  

Not surprising - if you are clinically obese you are more likely to have underlying health issues such as type 2 diabete, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and atherosclerosis which can lead to coronary heart disease and strokes.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Meant to delete that and replace it with did they die from Covid19?, but you were too quick for me. Knowing 3 people who've died from it in Scotland must be still very rare.

1 Scotland, 2 England 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I will delete as appropriate so you can do similar. 

The worldometer site breaks down the USA figures by state. NY state has 883 deaths, with the next highest of the other states being Washington on 189.  It shows how bad things are getting in NY and how far ahead of the rest of the country they are.

Those two states being on opposite sides of the country suggests there might not be an obvious pattern in the way it spreads in the U.K., after London which seems to be ahead of the rest of the country.

8 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Not good but unfortunately it is going to be commonplace over the coming weeks. 

I won’t give the details, but it’s starting to hit home what’s coming. It seems to be giving people the jolt needed to behave and adhere to advice