Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Boris is indeed a fucking clown and deserves to get punted. But he seems to be the one at the vanguard of opening the country back up. I think we need him to stay put for a couple of months yet until that process is complete and NS has been dragged along with the process.

Unless you want a dove like Gove with his more cautious attitude. And we've all seen how well that approach has gone down this side of the border...

If you want him to stay even in the short term why not just cut out the middle man and send your earnings directly to the Tory donors.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Ah saw him going on about pissing off the unvaccinated and that was it. 

Will be interesting to see how it effects their election, he seems to be polling strongly so I guess it's what the majority want in France.

His approval rate is around -11 (Politico tracker) with the public, which is a 55-44ish split against him. He leads Presidential polls with a quarter of the vote because there are about 19 other candidates splitting the vote right now. 

Not all or even most of that will be driven by pandemic policy but he is not getting majority support by either measurement. 

29 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Boris is indeed a fucking clown and deserves to get punted. But he seems to be the one at the vanguard of opening the country back up. I think we need him to stay put for a couple of months yet until that process is complete and NS has been dragged along with the process.

Unless you want a dove like Gove with his more cautious attitude. And we've all seen how well that approach has gone down this side of the border...

Sunak was signalling through 'Treasury sources' his discontent about the costs of PCR testing and furlough last year to boost his leadership chances. There is no going back to a cautious position - in a leadership contest they will be running against each other to stick a fork in this sooner, alongside more significant areas for radicalisation like the Failed Statelet protocol. 

3 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

This “I accept full responsibility” seems to be a popular soundbite for politicians who are up to their neck in it these days. However accepting full responsibility used to mean accepting the consequences and sometimes your arse out the door .

Nowadays it seems to be just another way of saying I’m sorry let’s move on now and forget this ever happened . First really noticed it with Nicola during the whole salmond questioning 

this is the worst of the whole affair, none of the psychos and megalomaniacs are likely to see justice for the self destruction

which means unless they are prosecuted they have license to keep doing it

I remember someone on here asking about if any investigations had been done into why for a lot of households one person can become infected with Covid but no other members of the household ever test positive.

I'm guessing this is part of the answer...

T cells from common colds can protect against coronavirus infection, study finds

Does anyone remember at the start of the pandemic the almost "supernatural" powers some tried to attribute to this virus? Some claimed immunity was impossible from it, that it could survive for days and days on surfaces just waiting to infect you, I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

35 minutes ago, 101 said:

Wait what? Foreign governments are putting pressure on the UK media to empty him because he didn't have the political strength to put in restrictions?

No the oligarch class that dominate the UK, France and everywhere else in the west are putting pressure on him.

19 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Out of interest, why did you decide not to get vaccinated?

I initially missed it due to me having a date mix up. I was going to book another one (even though I don't believe I need one) then they came out with all the 'get a vaccine, or else' shite and it made me feel like a right 2nd class citizen and forced, so I thought 'f**k you' and never got one.

I am not an anti vaxer though, I think it has worked wonders with the 'at risk'. I just don't think I needed it and I didn't like the way it was being forced.

I still don't think I need it as we are now coming to an end of it.

I did have sympathy for those who were not wanting to get it, but felt they had to or face restrictions, only for them to face the restrictions anyway.

Just now, NorthernLights said:

I remember someone on here asking about if any investigations had been done into why for a lot of households one person can become infected with Covid but no other members of the household ever test positive.

I'm guessing this is part of the answer...

T cells from common colds can protect against coronavirus infection, study finds

Does anyone remember at the start of the pandemic the almost "supernatural" powers some tried to attribute to this virus? Some claimed immunity was impossible from it, that it could survive for days and days on surfaces just waiting to infect you, I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

And yet still many line up to scream "iTs NoT tHe FlU!!!!!!!" as if the name of the virus makes any fucking odds.

In Scotland, we can't celebrate or even strike an optimistic tone over what is effectively the end of one of the worst shared experiences of our lives and the beginning of recovery because Scotgov won't let it go. Simply too much political capital to be fought for in the eyes of some...... Even though the actual fucking virus itself is busy stripping away all of their bullshit and making them look silly. 

Its really quite incredible where we are now..... The non-politicising, all in this together phase in Scotland probably lasted about as long as it took for the clowns in WM to start having mass garden parties. 

46 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Surely it he more anti-lockdown Sunak or Truss will be the likely replacement? 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I assume people struggling to pay the heating bills or keep the kids fed can feel warmth and full of Nicola’s care?
I hope the industry takes these tossers to court and wins big.  

Why hasn't this happened by now?
Is it because there actually isn't a legal basis for such a case?

9 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I initially missed it due to me having a date mix up. I was going to book another one (even though I don't believe I need one) then they came out with all the 'get a vaccine, or else' shite and it made me feel like a right 2nd class citizen and forced, so I thought 'f**k you' and never got one.

I am not an anti vaxer though, I think it has worked wonders with the 'at risk'. I just don't think I needed it and I didn't like the way it was being forced.

I still don't think I need it as we are now coming to an end of it.

I did have sympathy for those who were not wanting to get it, but felt they had to or face restrictions, only for them to face the restrictions anyway.

Guessing you aren’t bothered about travel for the foreseeable?

I was more than happy to get the first two doses as I saw it as the way out, but was incredibly reluctant to get the booster as it’s been made clear that they will just keep going with another one then another one. Unfortunately I like travelling so will be forced to keep getting them.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Why hasn't this happened by now?
Is it because there actually isn't a legal basis for such a case?

Unless you are religious, it seems that your rights are not adequately interfered with and the 'Public Health' defence card remains valid. 

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Guessing you aren’t bothered about travel for the foreseeable?

I was more than happy to get the first two doses as I saw it as the way out, but was incredibly reluctant to get the booster as it’s been made clear that they will just keep going with another one then another one. Unfortunately I like travelling so will be forced to keep getting them.

No, I don't have any plans to. Not that I would make holiday plans even if I was vaccinated, other countries seem to change from open to closed quite regularly and sometimes even having a vaccine can't guarantee you entry. I think I will just wait until 2023.

In the real world, the Scottish Government are simply looking at ways to climbdown from their failed festive restrictions which doesn't draw attention to that fact.

Oh no: it's in actual fact a Blofeld-esque plot!

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Surely it he more anti-lockdown Sunak or Truss will be the likely replacement? 

Sunak will pivot to the international consensus immediately if he gets the job. Right now he is doing what Starmer did and tailoring his image to suit the Tory members but that will only last as long as the leadership contest. 

Truss is a nutter, I don't see her getting it.

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

No, I don't have any plans to. Not that I would make holiday plans even if I was vaccinated, other countries seem to change from open to closed quite regularly and sometimes even having a vaccine can't guarantee you entry. I think I will just wait until 2023.

Fair enough. I’ve booked 2 holidays already this year and might go for another one. Travelling is one of the things I’ve missed most.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

What's for certain is that a civil service led review of minesterial actions is completely pointless, should be parliament or judge led or preferably both but agree folk are getting wound up by the least bad shit he is getting up to.

It's deliberate by the press and whoever else. Sleaze doesn't have any blowback on the legislative agenda especially when you can make it about one particular politician and have an opposition who are signalling their compliance with what's being pushed through. 

Politics is dead, baby!