Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Most of the people who post on this thread are moon howlers who are not in the least bit representative of the wider public.

I know this is stating the obvious but sometimes it’s necessary.

In your opinion what characteristics qualify as a moonhowler?

To me a moonhowler re Covid would be someone with a totally irrational, groundless fear of a virus which in reality is now no worse than the cold. 

1 minute ago, ddfg said:

In your opinion what characteristics qualify as a moonhowler?

To me a moonhowler re Covid would be someone with a totally irrational, groundless fear of a virus which in reality is now no worse than the cold. 

^^^ moon howler.

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Most of the people who post on this thread are moon howlers who are not in the least bit representative of the wider public.

I know this is stating the obvious but sometimes it’s necessary.

The reason why the UK Government is binning off the restrictions is because the majority public mood is one that is finished with the pandemic, old man. This is entirely expected, as fear in this situation always inevitably subsides. Here's just some of Scotland's 'experts' stating that mass testing needs to end. Unlucky.

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You’re maths are almost as bad as mine!

BTW, I thought you’d put me on ignore.

Your*

Edited by Elixir

I can't help but think back to ~2018, where the UK Government frontbench were stuck at the bottom of their Brexit barrel, free to be shot at to the SNP's content until they tore themselves apart.

Having embarked on her cretinous middle-class love bombing exercise ever since, the FM is now reduced to spending her Saturday nights turning in full-on Gincardine performances on Twitter.

2093466195_download(47).jpeg.f645e9891c2ca922011d01ffa27b6ccf.jpeg
Why would there be a vote in Parliament, to end providing a temporary measure of 'free' tests that the taxpayer is actually paying the tab for? It's not a legal right that has been established by a vote of Parliament - it is just a temporary government contingent policy. They change all the time. 
It's also not a 'restriction' being lifted - none of which have been lifted subject to a democratic vote since March 2020 anyway. They just got launched in the bin unceremoniously - which is exactly where LFT stockpiles for malingerers belong. 
Two wrongs don't make a right though.

The one thing throughout this pandemic is how easily democracy and civil liberties have been swept to one side in the name of restrictions. That really should never have happened - it's part of the reason why I did eventually resign my membership of the SNP - not only was I completely opposed to the very idea of vaccines passports, I also found it increasingly uncomfortable to work within the autocratic structures of the SNP.

We shouldn't make the same mistake with lifting restrictions - any plan isn't just about restrictions going but what happens in future - we really need to have a proper debate about that because we can't let the same mistakes happen again. What I also don't want to see is a plan where "living with Covid" could be a plan with restrictions reimposed without any democratic input. Living with Covid should mean zero restrictions with it being treated like any other respiratory disease.

Parliament is the place to do that not drip drip to the media - that's as true for the Scottish Government as it is for Westminster.

3 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

I can't help but think back to ~2018, where the UK Government frontbench were stuck at the bottom of their Brexit barrel, free to be shot at to the SNP's content until they tore themselves apart.

Having embarked on her cretinous middle-class love bombing exercise ever since, the FM is now reduced to spending her Saturday nights turning in full-on Gincardine performances on Twitter.

Covid is and always has been a middle class obsession.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Two wrongs don't make a right though.

The one thing throughout this pandemic is how easily democracy and civil liberties have been swept to one side in the name of restrictions. That really should never have happened - it's part of the reason why I did eventually resign my membership of the SNP - not only was I completely opposed to the very idea of vaccines passports, I also found it increasingly uncomfortable to work within the autocratic structures of the SNP.

We shouldn't make the same mistake with lifting restrictions - any plan isn't just about restrictions going but what happens in future - we really need to have a proper debate about that because we can't let the same mistakes happen again. What I also don't want to see is a plan where "living with Covid" could be a plan with restrictions reimposed without any democratic input. Living with Covid should mean zero restrictions with it being treated like any other respiratory disease.

Parliament is the place to do that not drip drip to the media - that's as true for the Scottish Government as it is for Westminster.

An emergency isn't really an objectively definable state, but covid restrictions were put in place in the face of an emergency, using emergency powers. Theres no need for a vote, as we are, quite clearly no longer in any sort of emergency, and they should be dropped along with any govts right to impose them. The only thing that should be voted on is any time they wish to have emergency powers again, and I would hope there would be more pause for thought next time....