Coronavirus (COVID-19)

56 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Btw, I relative of mine has at least 20 boxes of LFT at home you know “just incase” 

I don't have an issue with them staying free, but things like that just take the piss 

Do they test themselves every time they go to a different room?

I'm probably (okay almost certainly) in a minority here regards this decision.

Whilst on balance I think it probably is the right thing to do I'm disturbed about how this decision may have been reached.

We were only last week saying how it was unhealthy that there was a complete lack of opposition in the devolved governments to restrictions.

Yet now this decision is one that many here support it seems to be thd view that it's alright to not have opposition.

You can't have it both ways guys - you can't pick and choose when you have democracy. It's also potentially disturbing from a wider non-Covid point of view - if PM can choose to just ignore democracy because it's convenient then that's a very dangerous path we'd be heading down.

I sincerely hope that any move to lift restrictions does go through the democratic route - it has to be though a vote in Parliament.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Whilst on balance I think it probably is the right thing to do I'm disturbed about how this decision may have been reached.

We were only last week saying how it was unhealthy that there was a complete lack of opposition in the devolved governments to restrictions.

Yet now this decision is one that many here support it seems to be thd view that it's alright to not have opposition.

You can't have it both ways guys - you can't pick and choose when you have democracy. It's also potentially disturbing from a wider non-Covid point of view - if PM can choose to just ignore democracy because it's convenient then that's a very dangerous path we'd be heading down.

I sincerely hope that any move to lift restrictions does go through the democratic route - it has to be though a vote in Parliament.

Has a decision actually been taken here? I haven't read the article but from the headline It sounds to me like there is a plan being considered. 

I expect a full plan for living with Covid and what that means will go to parliament to be voted upon. I think the papers, the FM and some posters on here are reacting prematurely tbh. 

Has a decision actually been taken here? I haven't read the article but from the headline It sounds to me like there is a plan being considered. 
I expect a full plan for living with Covid and what that means will go to parliament to be voted upon. I think the papers, the FM and some posters on here are reacting prematurely tbh. 

That's why I said "may" and "could".

I genuinely hate the way modern politics - and the SNP are as guilty as the Tories of this - is played out in the press.

Drip drip of policies so by the time there is vote the decision has effectively been made.

11 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

2093466195_download(47).jpeg.f645e9891c2ca922011d01ffa27b6ccf.jpeg

Why would there be a vote in Parliament, to end providing a temporary measure of 'free' tests that the taxpayer is actually paying the tab for? It's not a legal right that has been established by a vote of Parliament - it is just a temporary government contingent policy. They change all the time. 

It's also not a 'restriction' being lifted - none of which have been lifted subject to a democratic vote since March 2020 anyway. They just got launched in the bin unceremoniously - which is exactly where LFT stockpiles for malingerers belong. 

Edited by vikingTON

In refusing to acknowledge the path of the virus that has led us to Omicron and what that means, and that it is no longer 2019 in terms of virus, or susceptibility to it, Nicola Sturgeon and her followers are sailing very close to being actual science deniers at this point. 

Never underestimate bat shit mental.
Speaking of which this thread's favourite sane Queen Mary's Uni Senior Lecturer is now losing the plot with The Guardian over their shift to accepting the inevitable 'living with it'. I see also down the page that someone has had the audacity to block her. [emoji38]
I couldn't find what article she was on about on her twitter, I think its this - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/08/end-mass-jabs-and-live-with-covid-says-ex-head-of-vaccine-taskforce
''I have to say, I'm sadly not surprised to see this in the Guardian, given the stuff I've seen put out in the past month. They're getting in line with the flu and live with it narratives...''
''Let's call the 'live with it' plan what it is- it's a 'let the vulnerable, disabled, and disadvantaged die' plan... let's at least be honest about what it involves. Let's dispose with the euphemisms, shall we?''

She's right about euphemisms just plain wrong with the 'let the vulnerable, disabled, and disadvantaged die' bit which is just melodramatic pish.

It's a "some people will inevitably die" plan but then so were the existing plans with restrictions.

The euphemisms come into play from her side as well because the uncomfortable fact is that no matter what we do people will die - the notion of zero covid is a complete fantasy.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There is one consequence of the decision - if you remove free LFTs you really can't have a self-isolation policy in place that requires the use of daily LFTs to continue working or to escape self-isolation through LFTs on days 6/7.

Possibly a move on self-isolation as well on the cards?

I'll believe this when I see it, but the press reports around November/December were hinting at April being the time that self-isolation would be ended. It seemed like this was basically a carrot being dangled whilst the stick was to be deployed with winter restrictions attached, which haven't materialised (in England at least). 

Maybe there remains some in the April date. There's 4 months for a u-turn on what thus far are unsubstantiated press reports. 

7 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Think they are something like $15 in the USA.

We were £17.50 each for commercial tests for travel requirements. 

$15 for a box of 7 tests would be approx £1.75 per test so not prohibitively expensive of anyone still feels the need to self test. 

9 minutes ago, ddfg said:

We were £17.50 each for commercial tests for travel requirements. 

$15 for a box of 7 tests would be approx £1.75 per test so not prohibitively expensive of anyone still feels the need to self test. 

Sorry I should have been clearer. I’ve read $15 per single test.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Most of the people who post on this thread are moon howlers who are not in the least bit representative of the wider public.

I know this is stating the obvious but sometimes it’s necessary.

^^^^ Checked with all 72 million members of the Scottish public

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Bingo 

Also apparently long covid is now an argument for independence 

Most of the Simps on here were probably desperate for ole Rona to further the cause for independence.

1 hour ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Can’t wait for the day Nicola Sturgeon calls out the WHO for not caring enough, when they declare it’s all over.

This is what these bed wetting clowns don't realise: they set themselves up for the inevitable fall and climbdown every single time. This then forces an absolutely embarrassing pivot.

35 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

For 'living with covid', see: 'living with ~200 other respiratory viruses pre-March 2020'.

Job done.