Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just heard the "probable" column explained by the Grampian NHS woman as folk admitted with respiratory type illness who have tested positive but who have also been diagnosed with other respiratory type illness (the example she gave was pneumonia) and therefore they are unsure if the primary cause was Covid or not. In that particular scenario that seems fair enough to class them as probable as the alternative would seem to be with Covid rather than because of Covid on the basis that Covid probably lead to the pneumonia rather than vice versa.

If it's exactly as she is describing it then the probable column is probably leaning more to the due to Covid column than with Covid so it would seem fair enough to categorize those separately due to the uncertainty. I assume there is probably no way of deciphering what came 1st by the time the symptoms are severe enough to require hospitalization.
I would class it as the "Not Proven" column.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not really the same though Bairnardo, is it?

Dons1988 had asked me what I thought and I'd told him, which prompted a response from him.  For him to then parrot some drivel about me never saying where I stood, was therefore a bit daft.  I was hardly asking him to comb through my back catalogue, was I?

If TiG has made noises in the past calling for improved sick pay, then fair play.  It would be better, though, if he didn't later seem to counter them.

As someone that undoubtedly benefits from full sick pay for an extended period, this appears to be too close to home for you.  Feeling a bit tired?

4 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

You're bang on  there.Its very much my observation that in general the public sector workers have a completely different view to covid compared to the  private/self employed sector.

And yet, huge workforces in the public sector don't have the working from home option that so many others in both sectors do.

I'm not entirely sure why you're choosing to draw this dividing line in attitudes, at the point you do.

The point surely was that some of these sorts of middle class professions likely have the benefit of full pay when off sick, whereas many working class or lower paid jobs will be forced to rely on statutory sick pay, which is a relative pittance.
Therefore it makes sense that the teachers and civil servants are more likely to mewl about long Covid or whatever because they aren’t in the same position as the minimum wage guy, who just needs to get on with it regardless.
That’s a traditionally left wing train of thought, surely?
Middle class.
With the greatest of respect, here's a big working class "f**k off" from a public servant.
Maybe ask why some jobs don't have proper benefits rather than why some do.

Never heard of the self employed.No sick pay,no holiday pay,no company/public sector In dex linked pensions,no retirement in their 50s,no work,no pay
All the folk I know who have retired early (some before mid 50s) were self employed. All depends on how successful their business is / was.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

As someone that undoubtedly benefits from full sick pay for an extended period, this appears to be too close to home for you.  Feeling a bit tired?

I am a bit knackered tonight actually, but otherwise fit and well.  Thanks for asking.

I've got absolutely no doubt that I'm fortunate to be part of a large, unionised workforce.  I'm absolutely aware that my pay and security has not really been threatened throughout this and that many are worse off.

However, I don't see the solution as stripping me and others of such protection.  It's to strive to see others benefit similarly.

I think the recent tone on here has not gone in this direction.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What are you havering about? Who is suggesting this?

In fairness, nobody is explicitly saying this.

I do think, however, that a few posts on here seem to indicate disapproval of those in the public sector having the conditions they do.  

I'm not seeing it as disapproval of the fact that others don't.

WRK put it better than I've managed to: ask yourself why some people lack such protection, rather than why some have it.

What are you havering about? Who is suggesting this?
I've only caught part of this thread's comments regards Long Covid and sick pay.

I am aware that the likes of the The Daily Heil have been pushing an anti-union line regards SSP.

cc620a36a6ef4720bd2d008eb7a8d242.jpg

The issue isn't levels of sick pay for public sector workers but self-diagnosing.

But then if it's nigh on impossible to see a GP for short-term illness (between 7 and 28 days) then I'm not sure in the short run what could be done.

I think limiting to 28 days strikes the right balance - anyone longer than this has more than an enough time to see their GP.

25 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

Never heard of the self employed.No sick pay,no holiday pay,no company/public sector In dex linked pensions,no retirement in their 50s,no work,no pay

Don't pay tax, don't pay NI, under declare earnings, defraud covid loans and grants, deal in cash only, declare the wife, house and car as business expenses...

My heart is pumping pish for you.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In fairness, nobody is explicitly saying this.

I do think, however, that a few posts on here seem to indicate disapproval of those in the public sector having the conditions they do.  

I'm not seeing it as disapproval of the fact that others don't.

WRK put it better than I've managed to: ask yourself why some people lack such protection, rather than why some have it.

All of this because someone pointed out it was a complete non-surprise that the group of people claiming to be suffering most from a condition that is self-diagnosed (and near impossible to disprove) were those able to take 6/12 months off work on full pay with no risk to job security. Nothing else.

Your reaction is rather odd and suggests that it hit a raw nerve.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

All of this because someone pointed out it was a complete non-surprise that the group of people claiming to be suffering most from a condition that is self-diagnosed (and near impossible to disprove) were those able to take 6/12 months off work on full pay with no risk to job security. Nothing else.

Your reaction is rather odd and suggests that it hit a raw nerve.

What do you mean "hit a raw nerve"?

I've an excellent attendance record, thank you.

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Don't pay tax, don't pay NI, under declare earnings, defraud covid loans and grants, deal in cash only, declare the wife, house and car as business expenses...

My heart is pumping pish for you.

If you didn't pay tax you wouldn't have a track record to get covid grants though

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

What do you mean "hit a raw nerve"?

I've an excellent attendance record, thank you.

You're bleating about something no-one said or suggested, talking about taking away your sick pay etc.

Very odd reaction.

5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

For all the complaining about Sturgeon/the SNP, at least we are not lumbered with that useless c**t.

Yup, as much as I've loathed the Scottish Government over the course of this sorry saga, there's no doubting the Welsh Government, led by the chinless wonder, take the cake for being a risible and tinpot diddy cartel.

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

14,486 new cases of COVID-19 reported* (11360 yesterday)

78,300 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results*

21.7% of these were positive  (23.1% yesterday)

15 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (18 yesterday)

48 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (43 yesterday)

1,323 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (1267 yesterday)

4,388,543 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination, 4,037,434 have received their second dose, and 3,063,000 have received a third dose or booster

* There continues to be large volumes of tests being processed by labs; this and the holiday weekend have impacted turnaround times resulting in delays between specimens being taken and results being received and reported. Public Health Scotland are continuing to monitor the situation.

So with at least 40% of those admissions being incidental, we are still below the numbers we saw in hospital in August, despite it being the height of winter and the peak very much upon us.