Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, anotherchance said:

The point surely was that some of these sorts of middle class professions likely have the benefit of full pay when off sick, whereas many working class or lower paid jobs will be forced to rely on statutory sick pay, which is a relative pittance.

Therefore it makes sense that the teachers and civil servants are more likely to mewl about long Covid or whatever because they aren’t in the same position as the minimum wage guy, who just needs to get on with it regardless.

That’s a traditionally left wing train of thought, surely?

He knows fine well what the point was.

6 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

The point surely was that some of these sorts of middle class professions likely have the benefit of full pay when off sick, whereas many working class or lower paid jobs will be forced to rely on statutory sick pay, which is a relative pittance.

Therefore it makes sense that the teachers and civil servants are more likely to mewl about long Covid or whatever because they aren’t in the same position as the minimum wage guy, who just needs to get on with it regardless.

That’s a traditionally left wing train of thought, surely?

I really didn't get the impression that it was the circumstances of the minimum wage guy that he was bemoaning.

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

He knows fine well what the point was.

Yes, I think I do.

It's terribly clear that the entire notion of Long Covid was being questioned and undermined.  You were endorsing a view that said this phenomenon exists because certain sectors receive sick pay.  

It's obvious that such an arrangement irks you.  You certainly weren't arguing that all sectors should receive similar treatment from their employers.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I really didn't get the impression that it was the circumstances of the minimum wage guy that he was bemoaning.

Pointing out privilege (in this case that it’s easier for middle class workers to take time off and claim “long Covid”) isn’t right wing either though

59 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That reply is as confusing as it is wild.

Pointing out NS might have made a mistake now makes you autistic (and that's before we even get to the fact he thinks that is an ok slur to use).

I'm not sure that rabid Nationalists like Jim understand that if they ever want to win an independence referendum, they actually need to convince people to get on board rather than swan around with some sort of air of superiority.

That's disgusting.

Do these people not know anybody who's autistic? Or parents with autistic children?

Would saying have you been assessed for a learning difficulty be acceptable for jimthecrim?

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm surprised by your reaction to this tbh.

If you were asked to pick the collective group you thought most likely to claim to be suffering from an undiagnosable, self-reported condition, you're lying if you say you would have picked any group other than the one with secure employment on top of 6/12 months full sick pay.

It's really not any deeper than that.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's obvious that such an arrangement irks you.

Why would it irk me? I get contractual sick pay if I am ill.

Just now, anotherchance said:

Pointing out privilege (in this case that it’s easier for middle class workers to take time off and claim “long Covid”) isn’t right wing either though

No, I get what you're saying.  See the post above though.  

If you genuinely think he was calling for the plight of low paid insecure workers to be improved in terms of sick pay, then I'd as see that as surprising.

It's very clear which side of the equation he sees as unjust and needing changed.

The latest claims from HY & JL about the peak not coming until February could look very wrong in a few days if the recent trend continues.

All in the name of shielding NS from having to put her hands up and acknowledge she badly misjudged the data.

20220107_173214.jpg

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If you genuinely think he was calling for the plight of low paid insecure workers to be improved in terms of sick pay, then I'd as see that as surprising.

I've said before that SSP isn't adequate. You're looking for an argument and a point that isn't relevant.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm surprised by your reaction to this tbh.

If you were asked to pick the collective group you thought most likely to claim to be suffering from an undiagnosable, self-reported condition, you're lying if you say you would have picked any group other than the one with secure employment on top of 6/12 months full sick pay.

It's really not any deeper than that.

In that case, aren't you angrier about the fate of the members of the precariat who have to struggle in when unwell, than those who can afford to stay off?

It read as reminiscent of those who get far more animated about benefit cheats than they do about tax evasion.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

No, I get what you're saying.  See the post above though.  

It's very clear which side of the equation he sees as unjust and needing changed.

It’s more the “right wing” bit I’m driving at.

Long COVID studies have been exclusively based on self reported data. In a nation of imbeciles and hypochondriacs, it’s not beyond reasonable thought that these figures are far, far higher than they actually are - same thought process as people who say they’ve got “the flu” when they’ve got a cold.

Questioning whether long COVID is any more noteworthy than post viral fatigue isn’t right wing either.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

That reply is as confusing as it is wild.

Pointing out NS might have made a mistake now makes you autistic (and that's before we even get to the fact he thinks that is an ok slur to use).

I'm not sure that rabid Nationalists like Jim understand that if they ever want to win an independence referendum, they actually need to convince people to get on board rather than swan around with some sort of air of superiority.

The heel turn from snp supporters has been quite astounding. I wonder what it is about a political cause that makes these people gleefully surrender their decency? 

Just now, anotherchance said:

It’s more the “right wing” bit I’m driving at.

Long COVID studies have been exclusively based on self reported data. In a nation of imbeciles and hypochondriacs, it’s not beyond reasonable thought that these figures are far, far higher than they actually are - same thought process as people who say they’ve got “the flu” when they’ve got a cold.

Questioning whether long COVID is any more noteworthy than post viral fatigue isn’t right wing either.

I'm not saying that questioning the validity of the condition is right wing.

I am saying, however, that suggesting that full sick pay just permits and encourages exploitation of it, is.

Some people have far more secure working conditions than others which many of us would see as a problem.  It's right wing to think that this problem is exemplified by the more fortunate ones in the arrangement.

I've said before that SSP isn't adequate. You're looking for an argument and a point that isn't relevant.
This is the same MT that chastised Dons1988 today or yesterday for not taking the time to check his previois stances on a matter btw.

The adult in the room, etc

46 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Everyone should have full sick pay.

However the fact that Long Covid tends to overwhemingly strike university educated women in white collar jobs suggests it's a mental condition rather than a physical one.

Civil servants will have mainly been working from home yet are on the list. Workers in constant close contact with the public such as supermarket workers and care workers seem to avoid it somehow.

You're bang on  there.Its very much my observation that in general the public sector workers have a completely different view to covid compared to the  private/self employed sector.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

RE: The hospital admission figures, what rationale was given for picking a timeframe of just 2 days for Greater Glasgow & Clyde? Both of which were weekend days (and one was New Year's day)? Interrogating the data my arse.

They've used just 2 health boards, used different timescales for both, and picked a time of year where incidental admissions are surely amongst their lowest?

Absolute charlatans.

This is a farce, in my previous job I had to collate weekly stats for submission to SG from teams across Scotland. All offices had to provide exactly the same data to exactly the same definition, it wasn't really that complex to organise. 

They are either hiding something or utterly abysmal at their jobs. 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This is the same MT that chastised Dons1988 today or yesterday for not taking the time to check his previois stances on a matter btw.

The adult in the room, etc

Not really the same though Bairnardo, is it?

Dons1988 had asked me what I thought and I'd told him, which prompted a response from him.  For him to then parrot some drivel about me never saying where I stood, was therefore a bit daft.  I was hardly asking him to comb through my back catalogue, was I?

If TiG has made noises in the past calling for improved sick pay, then fair play.  It would be better, though, if he didn't later seem to counter them.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Wow.

The right wing agenda is yet more blatantly evident from some of our main players.

It would be so much better if people didn't receive full sick pay, wouldn't it?  That would make for a much better society.

Never heard of the self employed.No sick pay,no holiday pay,no company/public sector In dex linked pensions,no retirement in their 50s,no work,no pay