Coronavirus (COVID-19)

50 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Similar to England, possibly even a higher % 'with COVID' rather than 'because of'

Absolutely ludicrous that they can include "probable" figures in that btw.

The real figure is clearly lower.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Woke up Monday with symptoms, took LFT, negative. Pal who I was out with the night before had the same issue and tested positive. Now another 3 have fallen with it, and here I am, 5 days on still negative.

I am a god of immunity.

I hate to be that guy but there’s a decent chance that you have covid. LFT’s are sensitive, but they only pick up around 80% of symptomatic infections so there’s a decent chance you’re in the 20%. Might be worth booking a PCR if you care about finding out properly. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

f**k me. Some people are utterly broken.

This is absolutely insane.

This same woman was predicting last week that “long covid” will result in the average age of a dementia diagnosis falling from 85 to 60.

She is mental. 

14,486 new cases of COVID-19 reported* (11360 yesterday)

78,300 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results*

21.7% of these were positive  (23.1% yesterday)

15 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (18 yesterday)

48 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (43 yesterday)

1,323 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (1267 yesterday)

4,388,543 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination, 4,037,434 have received their second dose, and 3,063,000 have received a third dose or booster

* There continues to be large volumes of tests being processed by labs; this and the holiday weekend have impacted turnaround times resulting in delays between specimens being taken and results being received and reported. Public Health Scotland are continuing to monitor the situation.

BBC Radio Scotland's reporting was "60% of people Covid patients were admitted to hospital suffering from the virus. The remaining patients tested positive upon admission."

Really muddying the waters here, or trying to. Someone admitted for mental health reasons, has no Covid symptoms and tests positive is still included in the daily "hospitalisations" numbers.

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

BBC Radio Scotland's reporting was "60% of people Covid patients were admitted to hospital suffering from the virus. The remaining patients tested positive upon admission."

Really muddying the waters here, or trying to. Someone admitted for mental health reasons, has no Covid symptoms and tests positive is still included in the daily "hospitalisations" numbers.

Have you been asleep for the past 2 years?

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's worse than that.

They appear to be including "in hospital BECAUSE of covid" and "in hospital for something else but suffering some symptoms of covid" together.

I can only speculate why they would be doing that but the government need to understand that this sort of wilful obfuscation fuels conspiracy theories.

I honestly am struggling to understand what is so difficult about this. How many people are in hospital BECAUSE of covid?

Exactly. Say we have 1000 folk in hospital. That's ~600 because of Covid - that's the news, the story. That's the number that should be used in making decisions. But by wording these things to try to keep folk thinking 1000 means 1000, then ultimately trust in the data will be undermined. 

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

78000 tests. 🤣

What are people like FFS.

I'm hesitantly going to suggest that we may have seen the peak of infections already.

I'm no expert but unless something dramatic happens then surely we are past the peak...

peak.PNG

30 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

78000 tests. 🤣

What are people like FFS.

I'm hesitantly going to suggest that we may have seen the peak of infections already.

Overall case rate per 100K (With 3 day lag) is down for the 2nd day running. 

So if it has peaked, then just a few weeks before Leitch said it would.

The amount of returned tests suggest it may be.

30 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Exactly. Say we have 1000 folk in hospital. That's ~600 because of Covid - that's the news, the story. That's the number that should be used in making decisions. But by wording these things to try to keep folk thinking 1000 means 1000, then ultimately trust in the data will be undermined. 

Surely trust in anything Covid related that we are told by the Scottish Government evaporated a long time ago. I'm currently at the stage where if the First Minister appeared on tv and said that it was Friday I would want to go and double check. 

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

There was a guy in the gym this morning who would wear his mask to walk between pieces of equipment but then take it off when he got there which seems pretty pointless. He also seemed to be cleaning equipment with a bottle of hand sanitiser rather than using the spray bottles of disinfectant which are spread throughout the gym.

I don't know about the cleaning part of it, but the mask on while walking around and mask off while using the equipment is what most / a lot of folk in my gym are doing and pretty much what the law in Scotland says, providing you think it's reasonable that while doing exercise a face covering shouldn't be worn, which I do:

"5.—(1) A person who enters or remains indoors within a place listed in regulation 6 must wear a face covering, unless the person is—

(r)taking part in exercise of a type which reasonably requires that the person is not wearing a face covering"

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2021/277/regulation/5

It seems like I'm going over old ground here, and I'm really not Jason Leitch, honest, but I guess it's about reducing the quantity of covids flying around, not eliminating them, while letting people do the thing that they are in the place to do.  It's also why you can have your mask off while you're supping a pint but you're supposed to have your mask on while you do your messages - the mask makes the former impossible, but not the latter.   

1 minute ago, resk said:

I don't know about the cleaning part of it, but the mask on while walking around and mask off while using the equipment is what most / a lot of folk in my gym are doing and pretty much what the law in Scotland says, providing you think it's reasonable that while doing exercise a face covering shouldn't be worn, which I do:

"5.—(1) A person who enters or remains indoors within a place listed in regulation 6 must wear a face covering, unless the person is—

(r)taking part in exercise of a type which reasonably requires that the person is not wearing a face covering"

It seems like I'm going over old ground here, and I'm really not Jason Leitch, honest, but I guess it's about reducing the quantity of covids flying around, not eliminating them, while letting people do the thing that they are in the place to do.  It's also why you can have your mask off while you're supping a pint but you're supposed to have your mask on while you do your messages - the mask makes the former impossible, but not the latter.   

I have been going to the gym for just a few weeks - folk wear masks walking into the place, then take them off whilst in the gym. Inside the gym nobody wears one at all, then stick them on while leaving. 

Inside the gym is the most "normal" feeling place for me, despite all the screens that are up. People just acting normal. 

Yes, I might catch Covid with my despicable behaviour, and so might everyone else, but in all honesty what difference would it make sticking on a ratty old bit of cloth when going the few metres between machines?

9 minutes ago, resk said:

Walk faster between the machines.  Bonus cardio and a reasonable excuse not to wear a mask.