Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Covid restrictions should return to pre-Omicron levels, according to a senior epidemiologist.

Cardiff University's Prof John Watkins said booster protection and evidence the variant was milder meant the threat was no worse than that posed by Delta.

The expert said Omicron cases were more transmissible but less severe and patients were less likely to die.

In response, the Welsh government said its current measures and guidance are proportionate.

Prof Watkins claimed age remains the "major risk factor for poor outcomes".

That factor is currently mitigated by "80 to 90%" of over 70s having had a booster jab.

"We have moved ourselves back to that position where we were in the autumn," Prof Watkins said.

The Welsh government, he said, should think about moving back to its position in November and perhaps "realign" with England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59880877

Absolute minter incoming for the gormless Welsh and Scottish administrations. Why won't they follow The Science?!!!!111!!

The decline of traditional winter illnesses, Prof Watkins argued, could also help the NHS.

Cold-like illnesses, such as the respiratory virus RSV, and flu had plummeted.

"We saw some RSV in children before Christmas, but that peak has declined and we've seen virtually no influenza," the professor said.

"So actually the demand we would expect at this time of year is a demand that we've seen, and it is nowhere in comparison to some of the worst influenza epidemics of the past."

Shanicron wiping out the flu season while having no society-level impact as a glorified cold - you love to see it happen. 

2 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

When I was in Barcelona a couple of months back, I would guess at least 75% of the people were wearing masks walking about the city centre.  I would appear that it was mainly tourists that weren't.  I still managed to catch Covid over there (no symptoms), despite bars and restaurants asking for vaccine passports.

Think you might be the first tourist to visit Barcelona city centre and leave with more than you went in with.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Ultimately the SNP have always been populists as well as nationalists. If the public mood has finally shifted towards rationality rather than visceral level panic they will coast whichever wave they think will take them to independence and the usual suspects on here will change their tune overnight to fall into line with it.

Bingo. The cultist psychos on Twitter won't know what day of the week it is.

15 minutes ago, virginton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59880877

Absolute minter incoming for the gormless Welsh and Scottish administrations. Why won't they follow The Science?!!!!111!!

Shanicron wiping out the flu season while having no society-level impact as a glorified cold - you love to see it happen. 

Yup. This is essentially the typical pressures the health service sees in a bad flu season, compounded by ridiculous rules causing staff to be off when there's nothing wrong with them, and the irrational fear of the last two years. It defies belief what the devolved administrations are doing.

I'm not surprised at Nadal's comments either. A Real Madrid fan from Mallorca who's uncle has been injecting him with f**k knows what since childhood, obviously this is going to seem normal to him.
Screenshot_2022-01-06-09-19-52-746_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.a93116ba616a6fa577c5e23cfd880c4e.jpg
Novak and his family are clearly delusional nutters. No wonder you're a fan [emoji23]

45 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'm not surprised at Nadal's comments either. A Real Madrid fan from Mallorca who's uncle has been injecting him with f**k knows what since childhood, obviously this is going to seem normal to him.

Screenshot_2022-01-06-09-19-52-746_com.android.chrome.jpg

19 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Novak and his family are clearly delusional nutters. No wonder you're a fan emoji23.png

Huge fan of the insinuation that Djokovic ISN'T constantly needled and doped to the eyeballs. 

H_B is some laugh.

28 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

So the 7 day isolation rule comes into effect today. Which means if you tested positive yesterday you'd be in isolation for the 10 days and have to stay in longer than people who tested positive after you.

Pretty sure that’s not the case. If you are currently on day 6 and test negative today and tomorrow then you will be out for the weekend. 

Pretty sure that’s not the case. If you are currently on day 6 and test negative today and tomorrow then you will be out for the weekend. 
I've no idea what the correct answer is, but that's not what Linda Bauld was saying on the Radio Scotland phone in this morning.

According to her you need to see the 10 days out if you have tested positive before today.

Ludicrous if true, which means it probably is.

5 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

I've no idea what the correct answer is, but that's not what Linda Bauld was saying on the Radio Scotland phone in this morning.

According to her you need to see the 10 days out if you have tested positive before today.

Ludicrous if true, which means it probably is.

That’s insane, so as you say it’s probably correct. 

9 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I seen it on the NHS scotland website but can't seem to find it now.

20 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Huge fan of the insinuation that Djokovic ISN'T constantly needled and doped to the eyeballs. 

H_B is some laugh.

Djokovic just like Murray and Federer probably started as an adult. Nadal was juiced up from a very young age. 

Edited by Detournement

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Thailand back to Level 4

Schools have been closed (my son got 1 week in the last 10 months).

Some good news.  if you test positive and are not ill, you can isolate in your own home, rather than sitting in a field hospital for 14 days.

@Jacksgranda your step-son came to Thailand during the test & go which started on 1st Nov.  Test on arrival, stay one night in a hotel, if your negative you are clear to travel anywhere.  @dirty dingus will have to stay 10 or 14 days in a quarantine getting tested every few days even if he is negative if he test positive at anytime he stays longer and longer (bring your BIG money bag).  The only place that still has the test and go will be Phuket, but you will not be allowed to travel out of Phuket as from today. 

Thanks, Slippery, that explains everything. Step son retuens on Saturday, he and his wife have had a great time, doing a few touristy things but mostly catching up with family

40 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

That’s insane, so as you say it’s probably correct. 

I can't see a clear definitive statement on this but everything I've read makes me think it's people who test positive from today the new rules apply to which is nuts.  I know people in this situation (which is the only reason I looked tbh).  Needless to say they're all sacking their isolation today if they test negative rather than wait for the weekend.

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

They probably believe they're "keeping safe" but if they continue acting like every other human being is some sort of vector of disease then they'll find themselves being cut off from society very quickly as things get back to normal.

Well, thats one way to go about depopulation